ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Not reaching full temp

WR1 impreza
First of all i have searched the problem but only seem to find issues with temp gauges fluctuating sorry.

Now the problem. Whereas the temp gauge has ALWAYS reached that halfway point once warm now it will get to the nxt bar down and goes no higher.:S

Has anybody got any ideas please??? Other than that it runs fine. Its a 2004 182 50K

Many Thanks
Tom

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I'd be guessing but i'd say a faulty temp sensor , but i doubt it's the cold weather tbh . Mine sits halfway all day long in summer or winter , it never fluctuates . Maybe try wriggling the wire , see if its a lose connection .

Could be thermostat stuck open.

Do your heaters still get a warm as they used to? If not I'd replace the thermostat for starters. Had a similar problem with the my BMW. New thermostat cured it. Not getting to temp on the gauge and heaters were not getting the car warm in the winter. It was only stuck open a tiny amount when I took it off but the new one made all the difference.

WR1 impreza
Thanks for the replys. In a way it did start during the cold weather but cannt see it being that.

I forgot to meantion that i think the only time is has returned to half way was whilst reversing uphill into my garage?????

Mark the heaters do get warm but thinking about it it doesnt burn your face off like it used to on max so do you think it sounds like the thermostat????

Thanks guys

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Thermostat tbh.

It's not registering that your radiator is doing it's job x2 because it's so cold. So when you're stationary the radiator isn't getting the severe wind chill it would when you're driving, thus it'll warm up on the guage.

Same problem on my MX5. Has your fuel consumption gone up?

WR1 impreza
Cant say ive noticed an increase but ive not been doing many miles for the last few weeks.

Is it an expensive repair as i have noooo idea about these things so will be going to a garage lol

Mk2 1.2 Campus
Try turning your heaters totally off and leave it running while stopped. If you have the heaters on all the time in this weather it takes the heat out of the water

RS mk2 172
The coolant temerature will not be affected by ambient temperature in any way, it may just take a little longer to reach it.
It sounds like the thermostat, however the fact that the gauge rises when reversing uphill suggests that it may be an electrical issue.

The coolant temerature will not be affected by ambient temperature in any way, it may just take a little longer to reach it.
It sounds like the thermostat, however the fact that the gauge rises when reversing uphill suggests that it may be an electrical issue.

It will be as colder conditions means more heat transfered out of the cooling system

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
mine does this, apart from it overheats in town and you get steam/smoke coming from the bonnet if im stationary for too long!

mine's showing normal operating temp on the gauge at the mo, although today's a good 10deg warmer than it has been lately

your temp will (eventually) rise whilst reversing as you've no air flowing over the rad

this might be difficult to tell, but are the top/bottom rad hoses as consistently warm as the others? would suggest the thermostat is open

ed. just out of interest, does anyone know the normal operating temp of these and what temps the graduations on the gauge represent?

Last edited:
  WR1 impreza
Right well i have to say thanks to every one who has had an input in this. Glad im not the only one either lol Think im going to try what Dave Ramsey has said as i aint tried that.

If that doesnt work il go along the Thermostat route i think

ed. just out of interest, does anyone know the normal operating temp of these and what temps the graduations on the gauge represent?

No idea from memory but it doesn't realy matter half way should be about 90 from memory have to have a look tomorrow

Andy8CH

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Mk2
Mine does roughly same thing - when I first got the car ( around 5 years ago now! ) it would stay just above the middle no matter what ( cold/hot/rain/shine! ). Now it generally runs around 2 lines down unless I am sitting in traffic in which case it goes up to the mark it used to go to and then returns 2 lines down after the fan kicks in. It also will run hotter when I'm driving along above 90 (on my private runway ofcourse! )

SQ5
Mine does roughly same thing - when I first got the car ( around 5 years ago now! ) it would stay just above the middle no matter what ( cold/hot/rain/shine! ). Now it generally runs around 2 lines down unless I am sitting in traffic in which case it goes up to the mark it used to go to and then returns 2 lines down after the fan kicks in. It also will run hotter when I'm driving along above 90 (on my private runway ofcourse! )

Mine does exactly this!

SQ5
Mine's been like it since march when I got it. Where is the temp sensor so I can play about with it as I'm not getting my full rev range its so low :(