ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Manifold Fitting - Ball Joints

RS Clio 172 Cup
Hi guys,

I'm going to attempt to change the manifold on my 172 for a 182 spec one over the next few days, I've looked over the guide (http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?313845-182-manifold-coversion-on-172 , which by the way is awesome!) and it looks alright except the bit about the ball joints. I'm not really sure how to remove these, is it a difficult job? Will I have to get the alignment done after? Any advice much appreciated!

172DD Cup
how much did you pay for the manifold, if you dont mind me asking. i want to decat mine, and fitting the 182 manifold would simplify things. thing is they cost £150+

RS Clio 172 Cup
I paid £175 delivered for mine (about 40k miles) from a Clio breaker guy when I was buying a few other bits. The decat itself if pretty expensive from Ktec, I got one second hand off here for £60 which is pretty good. The only problem is you then don't have a cat for MOT time, and changing the manifold is a pretty big job!

172DD Cup
that's the reason i want the 182 manifold- changing a cat and decat on a 182 is much simpler than the 172, but of course it means buying a 182 manifold, a 182 cat and a 182 decat. although i wouldn't have to buy the cat until next year which takes some of the cost burden away.

i want to get matched inlets and stuff but it seems fruitless without a decat.

RS Clio 172 Cup
I'm afraid you seem to be missing the problem here - a 182 manifold and cat (or normal 182 decat) will NOT meet up to a 172 exhaust system. You need a special decat or sports cat to fit them together, as far as I know Ktec are the only ones to make these. The 182 mid section does not finish at the same place as a 172 one. Hence the problem with MOT time, you either need a special sports cat, modified 182 one or a friendly MOT tester!

172DD Cup
;) that's why i asked yesterday if you had a 182 exhaust or 182-to-172 cat/decat

but then i forgot about it in my last post :S

so it's 182 manifold and decat and cat of sorts.

the more i write about how much stuff is needed the more i think just fit a 172 decat and try my luck come mot time

RS Clio 172 Cup
Yeah basically all you need is a 182 manifold, special link pipe or sports cat and you're done! I have seen people who have modified a 182 cat to work as well but better of talking to a custom exhaust place for that, likely to be much cheaper than a sports cat though!

RS Clio 172 Cup
I had a few other problems so decided to bail on the whole 182 manifold idea to free up a bit of money, just did a decat with 172 mani. And no emissions light yet either!