ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 lack of power

titanium 182

Im new to this so bear with me!

Ive had my 182 for a few months and dont feel its quite right! It seems to have a real flat spot up to about 5000 revs, dealers response was well it does have maximum torque at 5300 .

Also my ABS light keeps coming on but when I turn the engine off and back on it has gone off again - cant seem to get it to the dealer while light is still on so I don;t think they care!

Its goin in on Friday so if you can help so I can go in armed with info that would be great.

Ta!

The cam timing changes at 5000rpm...so below that it will feel relatively tame. Should still feel pretty torquey in low gears though.

Have you access to another 182 Sara? If so, try that see how it compares with yours, 172/182 does tend to "wake up" at 5k. Dont know about ABS light though

titanium 182

I dont hve access to another 182 but Im sure when i test drove one before I bought mine it pulled more than mine does at low rev. Although I test drove one without cup suspension etc and it was like driving my dads scenic! It was so smooth.

I am using super unleaded 97octane but suspose i should see if its any better on optimax.

My other half drives a S1 rs turbo and reckons my car is sh*t in comparison considering it should be more powerful - obviously I didnt let him get away with this but it did make me think mine isnt running right.

If ur using 97 ron thats fine.

There should be a noticable moment when u hit about 5200rpm when you literally get pushed back into your seat more then <5200rpm, not rollercoaster style but it is very noticable in 2nd especially.

If youve not got this then somethings wrong...

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

your car might wake up a little bit after youve put a bit of milage on the clock as well

as for the abs light coming on i would go to the dealer and tell them to pulltheir fingers out... no doubt you will have some sort of electrical fault if that light keeps coming on... dont be fobbed off.

dont ask if your car CAN be booked in.. i NEED to book my car in. your 182 is brand new so dont settle for it.

welcome to the forum.

Volvo S60 T5

The ABS light coming on is most likely to be the stop light switch, most dealers are aware of this, but worth a mention just in case when taking it in.

As to Flat spots, most are pretty lame until they come on cam(5000 rpm ish), would be ideal if you could compare it to another one.

Once again your dealer will check this out for you on the diagnostic computer for you, if any faults are present they will get fixed.

lol, with the greatest respect it sounds like your other half knows squat about cars. turbos will pull harder lower down as the turbo will start coming on bosst at about 2/3k revs whereas most 16v NA cars need to be worked and kept higher in the revs to drive fast. the engines in 172/182s seem to get better with miles so it may be it needs to loosen up still, basically get the car upto temp and give it hell this will help. the demonstrator will have been broken in hard and this normally results in them lossening and feeling quicker sooner.

Mine has improved a lot now its run-in It revs more freely and the whole car just feels like a driving machine- complete with little tinks and whirring noises (all machines should make noises, its the law). Some days it feels a little lacking in power, and other days it blows me away - I put this down to air temperature/density.

BMW 120i Sport

My 182 never felt as quick as the one i test drove. Once i got over 2000 miles on it, it started to loosen up nicely and its now as quick as the test car; it was very stiff for the first 2000 miles though, so be patient!

I suspect that its got some more loosening to do. Also, i find the 182 (much like any car) needs to warm up properly before you get the best of it. Expect to do a good 20 minutes of driving to allow the oil to warm up. When its cold, its a bit of a dog between 1000-5000 rpm before it comes on cam and its obviously nippy.

Bit of patience, let it warm up, get a few thousand miles on it and see what its like then.

Hi i posted an answer to this sort of problem not long back and take it to your dealer ECU needs reprogramming it sorted mine anyway.

Megane R26

Hi, welcome.

how many miles have you done in it? if the milage is fairly low, it may just be a case of running it in a little. my 182 seems to perform better & better with the more miles I add to it.

Yaris Hybrid

Mine was crap for the first 800 miles.

The only solution here though is to let a local cliosporter (with a 182) drive your car. That way you can be sure before going to the dealer if there is something wrong with it or whether it is just tight.

They really come alive with 20k ish miles on.

The oil they are supplied with doesnt allow the best ring sealing in quick time, so the bores tend to glaze and the rings never seal as well as they could.

Proper stick will help.

titanium 182

thanx every body youve all been a great help. Ive ad the car 3 months and its only done 1500 miles so probably still needs loads of running in.

3 months and 1500 miles I hear you cry... yes well I must get down to some serious driving just dont seem to have time to drive much - busy job, don;t want to risk driving when knackered etc.

Will see what Renault say.

Cheers

BMW 120i Sport

mmmm, 1500 miles is a bit ambitious to be expecting slick performance, mine was still tight at 1500 miles.

Checked my mileage and its sitting at about 2500 now and it feels like a different car. Also noticed the exhaust is a lot louder than it used to be.

Elise/VX220/R26

yeah it will still be a bit tight with anything less than about 8-9k on the clock, 15k and you can say youve got all your gonn get. My 172 does feel comparatively sluggish below 5k though, you do have to keep the revs up to get the best out of it, occasionally it can surprise you if your in the wrong gear coming out of a corner or something it really bogs down at low revs. Doesnt really sound like theres anything wrong with it. Renno will say this unless theres something physically hanging off the car by the way

Sara, with 1500 miles on the clock your car is basically a new born baby!!:)

Ive done just over 15K in mine now and it is flying ...some days it feels super quick and other days just quick...but never slow! Put it this way i came up behind a new scoob the other day (blue, chunky gold alloys, big spoiler...wrx or sti??) the guy couldnt pull away from me..only until i got to the top end of third gear did he start pulling away - then came a roundabout and he was gone!

(puts on flame suit :D)

Boz

Arctic 182

182s should pull reasonably from 2,000rpm upwards (80% of torque available above 2,000rpm), with power surge at ~5,000rpm. Mine got much faster after about 2K miles.