ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Knocking over bumps. maybe O/S Driveshaft?!

Clio 182 Titanium
Hi all,
Trying to remedy a long time knock on the 182 O/S. When you go over any nasty bumps in the road it knocks at the front OS like the subframe is loose. my garage could find nowt wrong. its been like this a year and sounds dreadful.
Checked everything best I can. wishbones/drop links/top mounts, ball joints & tierods
You wouldnt think a loose knocking rattle type sound would be the driveshaft as its not when cornering or owt just road surface issues.
filmed this just now, foobarred? the driveshaft is loose man, 4mm play in and out and 8mm+ side to side at gearbox end! made me check hub nut, tight as hell so all ok.
I found J&R in Birmingham and they only want £50 for a fully assembled non o-e 'shaft. worth a punt?
cheers,
Seb

PH2 172
Hi all,
Trying to remedy a long time knock on the 182 O/S. When you go over any nasty bumps in the road it knocks at the front OS like the subframe is loose. my garage could find nowt wrong. its been like this a year and sounds dreadful.
Checked everything best I can. wishbones/drop links/top mounts, ball joints & tierods
You wouldnt think a loose knocking rattle type sound would be the driveshaft as its not when cornering or owt just road surface issues.
filmed this just now, foobarred? the driveshaft is loose man, 4mm play in and out and 8mm+ side to side at gearbox end! made me check hub nut, tight as hell so all ok.
I found J&R in Birmingham and they only want £50 for a fully assembled non o-e 'shaft. worth a punt?
cheers,
Seb

I`m not sure about drive shaft issue,but is the nut that holds the top mount bearing and spring down the useless 27mm modified part,or the original 17mm nut with a seperate spacer.It will only take 30 seconds to wizz the top cap off to take a look.
If you have the 27mm,that will be problem,as they become threadbound before they touch the bearing.
I read on here there are 4 diffferent drive shafts,and that Europarts list shafts,but they dont fit,so be cautious.
TBO the video looked more of a gearbox bearing problem,rather than a shaft.

Clio 182 FF Orange
I rekon it will be your inner tie rods as I had exactly the same fault!!! Disconnect your track rod end from your hub and the tie rod should hold your track rod end in any position you put it !! If it drops or is floppy your inner tie rods are knackered.....

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
I rekon it will be your inner tie rods as I had exactly the same fault!!! Disconnect your track rod end from your hub and the tie rod should hold your track rod end in any position you put it !! If it drops or is floppy your inner tie rods are knackered.....
Old thread i know.

I have knocking and im at the stage of thinking its the drive shaft as it as Very minor play back and forth. Now my inner Tie rods dont hold any position, they flop about and the like. So they busted then?