ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Immobiliser / Battery problems... Please help!!!!

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
Hi all,

Had a nightmare today, took the Mrs to do her race for life charity run, left the car for about an hour and when we went to leave, the car was dead.:dead: (So much for doing a good deed!? :rolleyes:)

The car is a 54 reg (Jan 2005) 182, 29k miles (had from new).
We have had no previous problems with the battery etc.

Basically, when we turned the key, all the warning lights would stay on, and nothing would happen. The radio wouldn't work, the remote central locking wouldn't work, just complete and utter non-response.

Got a guy to give us a jump-lead boost, and nearly had a bit more action in the engine, but still nothing, i.e. it wouldn't get anywhere near to starting.

The RAC came out and charged the battery (he said it was dropping to around 6 volts when we tried to start it), and the engine almost kicked into action a couple of times, but he couldn't get it started - even after disconnecting everything from the battery, and checking the electrics underneath etc.

He said that although the battery is probably going to have to be replaced (anyone know what they cost for a factory fitted replacement??) the immobiliser also has a problem as the red immobiliser light is flashing once you turn the ignition. He also said that having jump leads fitted before he got there may have damaged the immobiliser as the electrics in it can be very sensitive! :mad:

I have a local guy coming to do some diagnostics on it tomorrow morning (charges £35 to find what the problem is) but he said the liklihood is that it will need to be sent back to Renault because the factory fitted immobilisers are a nightmare to work around. So looks like I am going to be seriously economically violated on that one too!

So, in summary after this epic essay!...;)
- Has anyone had a similar problem before?
- How much is a new battery likely to cost?
- What are the charges likely to be at Renault? i.e. getting the car there, labour, resolution etc??

Thanks for reading/replies guys, really appreciate it!:)
Cheers,
Martin.

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
are you sure its not just the starter (not just an imobilizer problem) have you tried to bump start it ? i would try bump starting it first, if you have a 2nd car just tow it for a few feet and see if it starts, if it does then its not an imobilizer problem,

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
i think i had the red light flashing when my started motor busted. (thats what it normally does but you don't notice it). try bump starting it, and see how it goes, might end up saving some money on diagnostics.

put tow rope on, turn ignition on, put car in 2/3rd gear, foot on clutch, get friend to tow you down the road, and then take foot off clutch,