ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Help

Inferno 182
Hi

Just sold my car and have decided to go clio 182, the complete opposite from my previous car a bmw compact ti sport. I have already had a couple of quick viewing at some, well to be honest dogs of cars. I just have a five quick questions to ask:

1) am i correct in believing that there is a number to ring to find out the specific spec of a particular car, cup etc.

2) is it a common issue for there to be stone chips before the rear wheels on the lower body work.

Finally from the vast experience of the member on this site whats your tips to look out for when buying my first 182.

Thanks

Mondeo 2.0LX & Volvo V50
1) Don't know!
2) Yes, ours has done 62k and there is a small 'rash' of small stone chips, just before the rear wheels. Ours is black so shows them up worse than most.

It is also for sale so let me know if you are interested. Located in Lancashire.

MY10 R35 GTR
standard exhuasts are made from tin foil!!!!

Other than that agree with stone chips etc. But mechanics wise nothing serious to report after 2.5years and 35k miles.

182 Cup
As far as I know there is no specific number to phone to check the spec, but as a general rule on a 182 - anthractice colour wheels will indicate the suspension cup pack, and a splitter being evident at the front will indicate the other cup pack. You want both. The appearance of climate control will indicate it is a higher specification 182 (commonly refered to as ff - full fat on here), normal basic air conditioning will mean it's a cup (and cups only came in two colours - racing blue and inferno).

My car has done 35k and shows no signs of stone chips on the side of the car.

Look out for full service history, the 36k service is expensive from Renault (circa. £600), check for accident damage and lights on the dashboard.

Mondeo 2.0LX & Volvo V50
I think the cup suspension/wheels are more important than the spoiler pack as you can barely see the front lip spoiler and I don't think the rear one looks much different than standard. I guess it's a matter of personal choice, but I wouldn't discount one on the basis of the spoiler pack. Also, Renault dealers can be shocking, service-wise!

Inferno 182
Just spent the day and over 150 mile looking at clio 182's in black, the result of which is that i no longer want one in black. I am someone who is quite meticulous when it comes to the bodywork, black and scratches and me it's a no no. When i went to see the final car of the day what should be there but a trophy, had a test drive (wow) but am unsure about the stance and colour, nice seats. So it's sort of back to the beginning.

182 Cup
The seats in the Trophy can be had in any 182, they were an option in both the cup and the 182ff. Good luck with the search!

Dirty E91
Think the paint is thin whatever colour you go for, obvioulsy the darker colours will show chips more clearly, have you checked out and racing blues or even liquid yellow yet?

Mechanically my 182 was pretty good over the 50K miles I had it, never gave me any need to visit the dealer, apart for the first service.

106 GTi
All of the talk about paint being thin is not correct - I have seen paint depth readings Brazo has taken on various cars and the paint is quite deep. Black Golds seem to have a decent coating.

They do stone chip easily, but this has nothing to do with having then paint, infact it may be the opposite.

I came from a 325i Sport (e46) to Clio Trophy and haven't looked back. Yes the BM is a great car, solid build, fantastically smooth straight six and rear wheel drive handling. In terms of driver involvement, speed and sheer fun factor, the Trophy is way ahead. Plus with todays petrol prices, I get 32-33mpg against the BM's 26-27mpg. I've found that BM picked up more stone chips than the Clio especially on the bonnet. I'd say the paint on the clio is more durable than that of the 325.

The auxilary belt is changed at 36k and the cam belt at 72k. Just make sure these are done if you are looking at a car approaching these mileages. Cost wise will be similar to an Inspection I and Inspection II service.

1) am i correct in believing that there is a number to ring to find out the specific spec of a particular car, cup etc.

Give Renault Customer Services a call on 0800 072 3372 - doesn't cost anything and with just the reg. number they'll give you the complete spec as it left the factory!

Inferno 182
No way did i think it was going to be this hard, 4 franshised dealers clios 182 for sale (plus 300 miles) and not one that i would be happy to buy. Ok so they where all in black but the price they where asking compared to the condition did not match up.

All i want is a straight, clean clio 182 FF in black, blue poss orange with reasonable mileage, where are you.

Mini Cooper S sport
normal basic air conditioning will mean it's a cup (and cups only came in two colours - racing blue and inferno).

A more obvious way to tell is the cheaper interior - fabric instead of the half leather/alcantara - and also no xenons, so there are black squares where the headlight washers are on the FF versions.

I never had any stone chips in front of the rear wheels - but the bonnet had a few small ones. It does chip easily.

Baby D is looking at selling her FF racing blue 182, and it must be one of the last ones. 55 plate on 13k.

RS Clio 182
I came from a 325i Sport (e46) to Clio Trophy and haven't looked back. Yes the BM is a great car, solid build, fantastically smooth straight six and rear wheel drive handling. In terms of driver involvement, speed and sheer fun factor, the Trophy is way ahead. Plus with todays petrol prices, I get 32-33mpg against the BM's 26-27mpg. I've found that BM picked up more stone chips than the Clio especially on the bonnet. I'd say the paint on the clio is more durable than that of the 325.

The auxilary belt is changed at 36k and the cam belt at 72k. Just make sure these are done if you are looking at a car approaching these mileages. Cost wise will be similar to an Inspection I and Inspection II service.

I previously had a 328 (E46) and agree with what you said about your 325. Tho Clio is more chuckable, involving and puts a smile on your face. I love my 182 but I know one day I'll be going back to BMW!

Impreza WRX
No way did i think it was going to be this hard, 4 franshised dealers clios 182 for sale (plus 300 miles) and not one that i would be happy to buy. Ok so they where all in black but the price they where asking compared to the condition did not match up.

All i want is a straight, clean clio 182 FF in black, blue poss orange with reasonable mileage, where are you.

PM Sent.

Chris.

Where you based? ;)

182kev

stone chips cant be helped unless you drive lonesome on a road like miss daisy lol

mines got stone chips to both front bumper and to the quarters in front of the rear wheels,both on a black gold 182 which are impossible to prevent on a daily driver

good luck with the clio hunt