ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 headlight temporarily coming on

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Chaps,

Just wondered if the issue I've noticed this morning is more likely to be the ballast unit than the bulb itself? My man-mechanics brain thinks that if the bulb was faulty, it wouldn't come on at all?

When I switched the headlights on, the driver's side xenon illuminates for about a second, then goes off. If I cycle the lights on and off again using the stalk, it sometimes flickers then goes off, or repeats the one-second rule before going off. Either way, its not staying on - just as the weather starts to go dark more often!

Cheers,
D.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Sounds like the bulb is on its way out to me . Has gone a pinkish colour ? When one of mine was failing it would randomly go off and on again.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Yes matey. Just checking that there aren't five variations for the same thing!

Bulb type is D2S but be careful Darren of what power rating you buy as it changes the colour of the beam. The higher the power the more blue to purple it goes.

I think standard power rating is 4300k.

eBay is your best place mate and I would advise buying a pair so you get same age and colour.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Bulb type is D2S but be careful Darren of what power rating you buy as it changes the colour of the beam. The higher the power the more blue to purple it goes.

I think standard power rating is 4300k.

eBay is your best place mate and I would advise buying a pair so you get same age and colour.
Thanks Mossy! ?

Does the D2S type refer to the connector type or rating or something? I was randomly looking through Philip's website at xenon bulbs earlier to see if they had any supported car specs. I didn't see any car make & model filters, however I appreciated the marketing specifications at the bottom... ?

1538661087291.png

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Thanks Mossy! ?

Does the D2S type refer to the connector type or rating or something? I was randomly looking through Philip's website at xenon bulbs earlier to see if they had any supported car specs. I didn't see any car make & model filters, however I appreciated the marketing specifications at the bottom... ?

View attachment 1388949
Phone Renault and ask how much for 1 bulb. Make sure you're sitting down at the time lol . I think they wanted about 90 quid a bulb ? Not sure if the D2S refers to the fitting , but like @mossyv6 said that's what you need and 4300k is oem . I went for 5000k , they're a bit whiter. Once you start to go over 6000k and upwards they become more blue.
I got mine from HIDS direct

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks @MRBILLYUK - do you know if there's any MOT specifics on the colour of xenons? I've got my MOT due this month and I wouldn't want them to fail it because the bulb colour was too yellow or too blue.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Thanks @MRBILLYUK - do you know if there's any MOT specifics on the colour of xenons? I've got my MOT due this month and I wouldn't want them to fail it because the bulb colour was too yellow or too blue.
If you go for the 5000k they'remore of a pure white , no hint of blue . HIDS direct are out of stock of the oness I bought , they were just a gene
If you go for the 5000k bulbs they're more of a pure white , no hint of blue . HIDS direct are out of stock of the ones i bought . They were just a generic unbranded bulb.
https://www.hids-direct.co.uk/d2s-35w-premium-hid-xenon-bulb-set/

I'd just buy some of ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...l1313&_nkw=d2s+5000k+xenon+bulb&_sacat=107059

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
If you go for the 5000k they'remore of a pure white , no hint of blue . HIDS direct are out of stock of the oness I bought , they were just a gene

If you go for the 5000k bulbs they're more of a pure white , no hint of blue . HIDS direct are out of stock of the ones i bought . They were just a generic unbranded bulb.
https://www.hids-direct.co.uk/d2s-35w-premium-hid-xenon-bulb-set/

I'd just buy some of ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...l1313&_nkw=d2s+5000k+xenon+bulb&_sacat=107059
I would actually prefer the bluer-white if possible - maybe even go up to a 6000K? Perhaps 8K would have too much blue in them if they are saying that 10K is a deep blue?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I would actually prefer the bluer-white if possible - maybe even go up to a 6000K? Perhaps 8K would have too much blue in them if they are saying that 10K is a deep blue?
I wouldn't go any higher than 6000k . The bluer the light the less the bulb lights up the road .

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
If you need some xenon's mate I've got some ring 5500k ones. £40 delivered. A massive saving over the £160. Check my forsale thread.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
F@@k that!!!

There about a tenner a pair on eBay and fit and last a treat as I have had a few pairs in the past including a set in my current Trophy.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
It's ok mate got osram oem ones that I could do for a £10 delivered if you want?

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Didn't someone's 182 on here catch fire because of cheap HID eBay bulbs? Happened parked on the drive iirc

Yeah wasn't the car right Infront of the house and it caught the front of the house iirc.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
@MRBILLYUK , @mossyv6 , @Craig - I got my new bulbs delivered yesterday - will be fitting them over the next day or two.

Any snags I should be aware of like fiddly clips, wires in the way, etc? I'm suspecting that given the air-con piping, the driver's side will be more of a pain to access than the passenger side?

Cheers,
D.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
@MRBILLYUK , @mossyv6 , @Craig - I got my new bulbs delivered yesterday - will be fitting them over the next day or two.

Any snags I should be aware of like fiddly clips, wires in the way, etc? I'm suspecting that given the air-con piping, the driver's side will be more of a pain to access than the passenger side?

Cheers,
D.
Bumper off job , or at least bumper off at each side , you can leave the middle attached , thats what i did anyway. Just pull the bumper forward on each side , 3 bolts hold the headlight on, 1 on top and 2 hidden behind the bumper, then it's easy to access the back of the light . Did you opt for the 6000K's ?

https://www.cliosport.net/content/guides/fubar/bumper_guide.pdf

Last edited:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Bumper off job , or at least bumper off at each side , you can leave the middle attached , thats what i did anyway. Just pull the bumper forward on each side , 3 bolts hold the headlight on, 1 on top and 2 hidden behind the bumper, then it's easy to access the back of the light . Did you opt for the 6000K's ?

https://www.cliosport.net/content/guides/fubar/bumper_guide.pdf

Oh ffs - is it? I've taken the bumper off a couple of times - not particularly difficult but fiddly and annoying that its needed to swap out a simple bulb.

Looks like it might be a weekend job then - lol.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Oh ffs - is it? I've taken the bumper off a couple of times - not particularly difficult but fiddly and annoying that its needed to swap out a simple bulb.

Looks like it might be a weekend job then - lol.
" Simple " being the operative word lol

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Lol. That's why I never got round to putting 6k in mine. Too much effort for a bulb ?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Yep - went for the 6K's in the end.