ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 headgasket?

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
My 182 has a strange issue and I can’t seem to pinpoint what the cause of it is. Ever since I’ve owned it it’s always used abit of coolant but nothing excessive.
But recently it’s started spitting coolant out the header tank, but the temp gauge never moves, no steam out the back or mixing of oil/coolant.
I’ve done a compression test today with the following results;
Cylinder 1 150 psi
Cylinder 2 120 psi
Cylinder 3 180 psi
Cylinder 4 180 psi.
I’ve also drained the coolant today as it was a horrible colour and it had what looks like k seal in it which I’m starting to think someone has put in to mask a possible headgasket issue?
It’s also been run at some point in its life with a very weak anti freeze mix and it’s also full of rust

If it is the headgasket am I better off just finding a second hand engine than replacing it myself. I’m capable of doing it and have access to the tools etc just unsure of the tolerances of the F4R I’m usually messing about with the Rover K series
Let me know what you think

Cheers ollie

dan's cast offs.
sounds like gasket, did one early this year, no2 with slight blow and know of another one that's gone and giving same symptoms although both fine on compression test.

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
sounds like gasket, did one early this year, no2 with slight blow and know of another one that's gone and giving same symptoms although both fine on compression test.

Cheers for the reply! I had to do the compression test stone cold so they may have come up a bit at operating temp. It’s certainly goes well this engine.
Reckon I’ll change the gasket, is there any scope for refacing the head?

Clio 172
Just for reference I did a stone cold compression check on my engine and all four cylinders were well over 200 psi so you've definitely got an issue there. Has it had the head skimmed before? Check through the history as apparently these will only take it the once without affecting cambelt tension.

PH2 172
Just for reference I did a stone cold compression check on my engine and all four cylinders were well over 200 psi so you've definitely got an issue there. Has it had the head skimmed before? Check through the history as apparently these will only take it the once without affecting cambelt tension.
Unless the tester has a calibration certificate I would not place too much faith in the actual reading.
The discrepancy between individual cylinders is of more significance.

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
Certainly nothing in the history that I’ve got saying it’s been done before. Although it does worry me that it’s got a 172 breather system on it even though it’s a 182, albeit it is one of the first!
Unless the tester has a calibration certificate I would not place too much faith in the actual reading.
The discrepancy between individual cylinders is of more significance.
Exactly this, hoping my cause of low compression is the head gasket. Ideally I’d like to do a leak down test as well but not feasible at home! Although I’ll now take this opportunity to strip/check the head, replace stem seals maybe the valves and drop 197 or 438 cams in!

PH2 172
Ideally I’d like to do a leak down test as well but not feasible at home!

As the head is coming off, park all 4 pistons half way down the bores, tip enough oil or petrol to cover the pistons and see which ones leak away, if any, to access the ring/bore condition.

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
Got the head off today and it’s all abit rusty inside! And evidence of k seal too. Should all be okay once I’m done with it.
And found a nice big piece of sealant in the oil pickup which was nice.

Attachments

• 4B07E417-96B5-4698-A257-4D6299531309.jpeg
    4B07E417-96B5-4698-A257-4D6299531309.jpeg
    593.2 KB · Views: 40
  • B0CF8AEC-D926-45D8-8FC2-6D2E5CA87B1C.jpeg
    B0CF8AEC-D926-45D8-8FC2-6D2E5CA87B1C.jpeg
    532.4 KB · Views: 54
  • F2663D50-9B77-475F-9942-45551BD407D1.jpeg
    F2663D50-9B77-475F-9942-45551BD407D1.jpeg
    429.7 KB · Views: 45

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
I’ve just PM’d you lol I couldn’t see a definitive place to be fair was in a bit of a rush so will look again tomorrow.