ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 head on 172

ValverInBits
yes, it will fit.

Some minor differences in porting iirc. Probably best to either match your inlets to it or get some 182 inlets.

ITB'd MK1
yes, it will fit.

Some minor differences in porting iirc. Probably best to either match your inlets to it or get some 182 inlets.

matching is less of an issue, more important is the breather box on the rocker cover is different, so in turn the mounts for the plenum, and the vac pipe for the carbon canister are different. nothing you can't overcome as long as you have the breather box

mk 2 172
matching is less of an issue, more important is the breather box on the rocker cover is different, so in turn the mounts for the plenum, and the vac pipe for the carbon canister are different. nothing you can't overcome as long as you have the breather box
wot do you mean buy the breather box, sorry i dont know wot im looking for my mechanical knowledge is low. just after a cheaper option than skimming

M

mini-valver

You can get a head skimmed for about £30! If you still want the head (is it built inc. valves, lifters etc) You could just use your rocker cover and breather box on the 182 head as far as I know, so you can just use your original plenum etc.

ITB'd MK1
You can get a head skimmed for about £30!

holy crap, didn't see the bit about cheaper than skimming until now. just skim the head!!!!

If you still want the head (is it built inc. valves, lifters etc) You could just use your rocker cover and breather box on the 182 head as far as I know, so you can just use your original plenum etc.

NOOOOO absolutely NOT. you cannot use a different rocker cover, they are specific to the head as the cam journals are in the cover and line bored to the head. They are NOT interchangeable

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
You shouldnt use due to the line boring but if you blue it up the modern machining should make it pretty close if on a worn say 60K engine - agree it is a risk though (Im going to do it on a 172)

Ph1
Skim the head you have as its going to be cheaper in the long run and less messing about plus is that head on ebay 100% problem free? You wont know, could end up being a costly buy.

Not sure where youve got the valves thing from in the thread but no you wouldnt need to touch the valves

M

mini-valver

Danny, Remember that he will be using his existing cams on that 182 head so IMO, it's better to have his rocker cover and know that one journal is mached to the cam, than none!

Or is that bullshit? lol.....

ITB'd MK1
Danny, Remember that he will be using his existing cams on that 182 head so IMO, it's better to have his rocker cover and know that one journal is mached to the cam, than none!

Or is that bulls**t? lol.....

cam has nothing to do with it, it's the 2 halfs of the circle being in the right place that matters. if they're misalligned the cam will lock up and you'll get a BIG mess

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
Check it with verniers?

you can install the cams (blued up) and fit a different cover tighten it down and check for mismatch. If you see any then you have a problem as the hydrodynamic pressure build up that the rotating cam journal creates will break down and the cam will rub, overheat and then sieze.

Good idea to hone the journal I will have a chat with the local head machinists about that - thanks