ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Dilema - What to do??

Trophy, Flamer, BG
I really don't know where to start

My 05 plate 182 has dropped a valve after about 2 months of owning it (3 weeks actually being on the road). It's on 61,000 miles and condition wise in pretty good nick.

I would like to get it fixed but have had a pretty bad experience in the passed (spent £1600 on engine work on my previous 172 Clio only for it to develop a bottom end knock less than 2 months later).

Could anyone offer me some advice? Is mileage a big issue? Price I should expect to pay for a decent engine? Places to source a 182 engine? Things to look for and stay clear of?

Many thanks

Fiona

Karlos172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio182 Trophy/R5GTT
Think you've had pretty back luck lately with the F4R engines as generally they are pretty good as long as they are well maintained with regular servicing and the all important belts changed with dephaser/waterpumps. Ive had 3 F4R Clio's, 172 Cup that I sold at 115k miles in 2013 with full history thats still going strong on 140k now, also a fullfat 172 that enginewise gave me no issues either. Current 182 Trophy did cause concern last Oct with oil pressure light coming on at 70k miles however sealer from main cap bearing that came loose and got stuck in oil pick up pipe was the culprit, new oil pump for peace of mind and a clutch whilst it was stripped out all is fine again.

Yes the majority of 172/182's are thrashed around, they cope well with it as long as they are well looked after, thats what they were designed for. If you source another engine, a low mileage, low owner stamped up service book will give you peace of mind although probably looking at least £500+.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Could you not have the current engine repaired? Would be nice to keep the original engine.

Last edited:

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
The cars with Mick at Diamond Motors. Must be bad if he's said new engine time.

Shame as Mick certainly knows his stuff.

Would he be fitting the replacement engine? Can he source you a decent one?

Trophy, Flamer, BG
Shame as Mick certainly knows his stuff.

Would he be fitting the replacement engine? Can he source you a decent one?

He's found a 93k, belts done 4 years ago (driven before removal) for £280 delivered. Belts don't really worry me as I would get them redone before it goes into the car regardless. It's the mileage that worries me as my 172 is on 95,000 miles and even after all the work it had done still spat its dummy out.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
He's found a 93k, belts done 4 years ago (driven before removal) for £280 delivered. Belts don't really worry me as I would get them redone before it goes into the car regardless. It's the mileage that worries me as my 172 is on 95,000 miles and even after all the work it had done still spat its dummy out.
@StrongboW has a low mileage engine available. Drop him a pm. 41k seems to spring to mind.

Trophy, Flamer, BG
I'm afraid not. Every engine I've had has been collected by me in person. As long as it's on a pallet though you should be fine with any company tbh.

Not got a boyfriend or dad that could come with you to collect it?

Engine is on a pallet. Not sure I would be happy about traveling an engine in the back of my trophy And don't think the engine would fit in the back of the 4x4 on a pallet.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Engine is on a pallet. Not sure I would be happy about traveling an engine in the back of my trophy And don't think the engine would fit in the back of the 4x4 on a pallet.
You can lay the engine on its back on a tyre in the boot. I used a piece of 12mm ply to spread the weight under the tyre. The tyre holds the engine snugly and acts like a shock absorber for it.

I used an audi a3 but it would fit in a clio boot I reckon. you need two people to lift the engine in.