ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 cyclinder head on a 172 engine ?

Yes they do fit but the 182 has smaller exhaust ports.. This will alter the way the engine can breather.

I would say fitting a 182 head to a 172 will cause a loss of performance due to the restriction. I'm not sure what mods we're done to the 182 to get the extra hp from. But it wasn't the head for sure.

I have ported a 182 head to better flowing than a 172. The 182 is the best head to have ported as the 172 has to big exhaust ports and the 182 are too small.

Clio 182
Ok thanks, the bits I have highlighted in red what are they for and can they be blocked off as the current cylinder head has the one to the right blocked off, was it the carbon canister pipe?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-01-07-50-13.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-08-01-07-50-13.jpg
    534.9 KB · Views: 78

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Ah ok, any idea why the 182 cylinder head doesn't have them?
The one you've pictured is a 172 head and the carbon canister is connected to the pipe that's currently blocked. The other piece that's sticking up isn't there on a 182.
You'll need a 182 upper inlet I believe if your running a 182 head. The carbon canister is connected up to the rear of the inlet manifold on them so obviously that would need blocking off.

Regards the ports and power - don't worry about it. The hp difference in the 182 came from various things and had nothing to do with the size and shape of the exhaust ports.

Clio 182
So the blocked off pipe is ok if it's just the carbon canister? Have noticed oil around the piece that's sticking up not sure if that's normal

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah that pipe that's blocked off in your pic needs to be blocked off on a 182 inlet manifold instead. If you don't it'll rev itself and you'll have a 5k+ idle speed!
Oil around the piece sticking up isn't totally normal mate, but a small amount is no issue.

Clio 182
Thanks for your help mate, it's not a massive amount of oil might clean it off and see how much comes back, the back of the engine is covered in oil tho.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks for your help mate, it's not a massive amount of oil might clean it off and see how much comes back, the back of the engine is covered in oil tho.
That's from the breather plate seal or the rocker cover seal or the rocker cover bolts I'd imagine mate. Breather plate and rocker cover bolts are simple to sort. Rocker cover not so much!