ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Cup suspension/top mount problem

Peddled device
I removed the first nut and rubber washer and loosened the larger nut. I turned the steering wheel whilst the car was on the ground and when I re-tightened the nut and could no longer make the rattling happen. I checked everything again and went for a drive. The car seemed to be ok for half a mile and then the rattling came back. The nuts are all tight when I returned. The pictures show the position of everything now, and it looks right to me. The order of refitting of the parts is spring,spring cup,bearing (flat side down),rubber top,27mm nut (spacer built in).Once on the car the rubber washer is fitted and then the 21mm nut.

Peddled device
A washer where? If you mean the big rubber and metal washer then I have those back on both sides.

Last edited:

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Old design mounts with washer fitted

DSC01577.jpg

Peddled device
Old design mounts with washer fitted

DSC01577.jpg

I tried this with a washer (not the right size) and the noise stopped when I rocked the car ! Hmmm....I'm thinking new struts fitted but old top mounts and no new washer. Could I be right?

Has anyone tried this with the new style insert but old style tops. I also have the same knocking got hold of the new style inserts but not sure if they would fit with the old style top mounts would of tried it but havn't got round to purchasing a spanner that will fit.

Peddled device
Its going back to the garage on Saturday :( I've fcuking given up ! It can only be that the new dampers are not compatible with the rubber bushes that I had on, and so we are going to try some other bushes !

Peddled device
We got the car up on the ramps and removed the ns unit complete. Looking up into the turret it appeared that the rubber had not been sitting correctly which would account for the height difference between each side. The unit was refitted and on the test drive the horrendous rattle had gone. But there is still a rattle from the front that are either the ball joints worn or the bushes. I'm having the ball joints replaced this week as this sound is similar to the noise my 205gti made when a drop-link was worn.

I changed the dampers at the front as the os one was damaged. I didn't have any other noises,except when turning on full lock, and we found out the os damper was probably bent as it 'clonked' when turned. But it seems that new dampers have shown up something else,which is now resulting in the ball joints being done. It seems I am chasing this to sort it out. Car feels great to drive but a rattle like this is too much. Wish I'd just left the fcuking clonking damper alone !

RS2004
The top mount doesn't fit right and rattles because you mix-matched new style integrated spacer/nut with old style top. The old style configuration had a spacer then a small 17mm nut, the old style top rubber stop has a metal cup insert underneath that covers that 17mm hex nut. Using the new style (only one available now) integrated spacer/21mm nut you need to use the new style rubber stop which deletes the cup insert (which is too small to cover this bigger nut) and replace the captive top nut with a regular nylstop nut

Hope everything above makes sense...

Here is an extract from dialogys, hope it clears things up (parts 5,6,7 is old configuration, you have item 9 from new conf, you need items 10 and 11).

susp1.jpg

Peddled device
This problem is now on both sides ! I see what you have put in the last post, and to stop the rattles I made 2 ptfe washers that were put around the shocker threads before part 9, and when tightened there's no noise at all. But it's no cure, so next week the wonderful chaps at Birchdown are having a look. If they can't solve it I'm keeping Nemo !

Peddled device
Just to add, only the dampers were changed, nothing else. I have Parts 9,10 and 11. Before the new dampers were fitted there was never a hint of this problem.

387bhp RB Trophy SC
Those standard top mounts are naff always nocked like hell on every clio I had bar the trophy, I suggest you get a pair of AST top mounts around £70, but im not 100% sure if the standard cup suspension will fit them.

Peddled device
All sorted thanks to Birchdown. But it's still a strange one! They have fitted the old style nut with separate spacer and these have ensured that there is no knocking sound, everything is tight and the car drives straight. Ball joints and wheel alignment are also fine and not been changed. All the part numbers were correct and everything was fitted correct...but it was a bag-o-sh1te to drive !! Very very strange !

Cheers Dave, I'll also be running this past Andy at Birchdown on Thursday as after refitting my dampers I've got a bad knock over bumps.

Clio 182, Astra Sri
I'm having the same problems with the rattling/clunking near the top mounts.

It's really doing my head in, is the washer a definite fix? How tight should the nuts be when putting it back together?

I have some ktec solid top mounts that I'm yet to fit, but with it being my daily driver I'm not so sure it's a good idea? Or wether the solid top mounts would solve the noise issue also?

Birchdown couldn't diagnose what mine was when I went to them, as I had an issue with my steering rack. When I have a new rack fitted I'll get them to look at it again.

On a side not I bought and fitted some pure Motorsport solid top mounts I try and solve the problem, however it made it worse. Which implied it wasn't actually the top mounts causing the issue but something else.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Sorry to bump an old thread but has any one else had this issue? I've fitted one of these revised mounts in the correct order/way and have a bit of a knock from the side i fitted it to

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Just swapped back to the older non castellated nut and top mount design - knocking is gone. Shoddy Renault parts to be honest

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Keep the rubber part from the new mount and use the old the top cup as its different. Plus the inserts if they arent worn and the nut. Im just not a fan of the new nut system, it didnt work well for me

Clio 182, Astra Sri
The only part that's new on my setup apart from the shock part itself is the nut so I'll just swap that over.