ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Cup Damper failure?

Cupped 182 with Milltek
I have a 182 with Cup suspension,I found a puddle of oil under the offside rear this morning.The damper seems to have failed and lost most of it's contents! The car is only 18 months old and done 10,000 miles. Is this a common problem and is it covered by the warranty? HELP!

It is a common problem (loads of threads about it on here).

Not sure about the warranty - I'd hope so at only 10000 miles - depends on how much you argue in the dealers I think.

You should get in under warently there a common failure but theyre not covered under warently as its wear and tear you have to get it done under the fitness for purpose part of the warently since they havn't lasted a suitable period.

Cupped 182 with Milltek
Thanks for that,now just got to decide which of the three nearby dealers are likely to be the least annoying,Livingston Sighthill or Grangemouth,then there is also Stirling I suppose.Anybody in Central Scotland got any preferance / experience there?

ST
Ah another Scottish member..

Rory is from Bearsden, IIRC its one of the Glasgow Arnold Clark dealers.

Cupped 182 with Milltek
Thanks Alan,the Dealership in Grangemouth is Arnold Clark,I will give them a call tomorrow,I rather lost confidence in my one dealing with Livingston just to get the steering wheel aligned after purchase,along with a wind noise issue! was madeto feel as if the wheel alignment was my fault......muppet!

ST
Some of the bigger dealers are like that for some reason, they make you feel as if warranty work is problem for them to do!!

Maybe because theres no money from the customer to them so to speak!!

Clio 197
I had issues getting mine done after 18months (45k though!).

I bought a pair for £100 in the end, and fitted them myself.

Good luck mate.

Cupped 182 with Milltek
had considered the self help solution,I must admit,do you know the part number for the cup damper Omar

Clio 197
IMG_1974.jpg

Cupped 182 with Milltek
Thanks for that Omar,that's the Cup version yes? I dont wish to appear cheeky or ungrateful,just confirming,that's all. It may end up being easier just doing it myself as there is no loss of transport or other dealer associated agro!pain that it's gone so soon...maybe another excuse to go back to a scoob...never had a problem in 3 years!

Clio 197
That's the cup version to the best of my knowlege (ie: I have a cupped 182, and I've just fitted them to my car :S ).

For the hassle... it was worth it for me - can't be arsed with humiliation at the dealers.

Cupped 182 with Milltek
may use the agro for anger management have an issue with another bureacrat locally that will be dealt with soon,but require something from him first b4 taking disciplinary procedings against him.may utilise the ability to humble and humiliate a dealer to let of some steam..LOL.Thanks for your help.much appreciated.

tiTTy & SV650
i've had 5 replacement rear shocks from Reno under warranty over 2 years. I'll keep getting them warrantied till the time comes I'm expected to pay for it myself, at which point I'll get FK Coilovers!

very much a design flaw, very much a warranty, don't take no for an answer. My cars on the original front shocks but has had 7 rear shocks since it left the factory.

so 9 shocks in 26k miles, not quite 10+ Alan ;)

Cupped 182 with Milltek
Rory,thanks for that,how did the dealer approach the problem,were they fairly agreable or did you have to fight the buggers? there are 2 Arnold Clarks nearby,nearest being Grangemouth the other Stirling,the other dealers are Reg Vardy both Sighthill and Livingston

tiTTy & SV650
search dealers as ally had problems with grangemouth or stirling, not sure which one he decided was better.

the usual arnold clark tbh, never expect it fixed first time. You tell them the shocks burst but they dont take your word for it till they book it in, get it on ramp then agree with your diagnosis. Then they order the part, you take the car away and book it back in when they have the part. The last time they said it wasnt warranty and I just point blank said oh aye it is. there's 3 years warranty on my car against manufacturing defects, which this clearly is, and the cars not even 2 years old. dont replace them as pairs cause if the opposite side hasnt gone yet it might not, if you replace it chances are the new one will go, sods law?!

new shock should carry its own warranty for 12 months too remember so if it goes again within 12 months of being fitted, even if your cars warranty is up, demand its warrantied.

After all they will claim it back from renault as a warranty parts claim, so they'll try their luck to get you to pay for it aswell, so it gets paid for twice and they're laughing. dont take no for an answer.

Cupped 182 with Milltek
Will give them a go.Grangemouth is nearest.will see how they are.keep meaning to join so cant see dealer listing yet.if Arnold cant fix it first time may be better going to Reg Vardy,I did buy the thing from them in the first place so that means Livingston or Sighthill (Edinburgh).Need to get my snow/winter tyres off now anyway get back onto the PE 2's might notice the shock going a bit sooner....If anybody is looking for snow tyres for next winter I recomend the Pirelli W210 Snowsport,they are ace,even in the dry,slightly more roll on the sidewall than the pe2 but very good gripping tyre.can still hoon around no worries!

tiTTy & SV650
i hoon around all year on PE2s but thanks for the tip lol

Nowhere will fix it same day unless they have the part in stock. so wouldnt let that put you off.

burst shock can be quite fun, makes the handling a bit unpredictable, good for a laugh

Cupped 182 with Milltek
tried to hoon in snow in PE2'S last winter,bit iffy but possible,they were more of a sop to my wife as she is not a confident driver yet,just to give her the confidence that she could get home if it snowed! went from Prodrived Impreza to 182 to let her get her confidence up.she was too scared to drive the Scoob!lol interesting to note very little drop in cornering speed though "which is nice"!

tiTTy & SV650
tried to keep up with an import scoob sti type r once, wont bother next time lol

never known much bout scoob specs, i now know 3 dr is fast.

Cupped 182 with Milltek
Impreza was quicker,whatever the weather,whatever the driver,eats brakes eats tyres eats bank account..but creates lang lasting grin and air of smugness,till the next service comes around 7500 miles later...lol also has more room for more crap....have a 7 year old child and combo of wife and child interior of car resembles the inside of her handbag...a tip.
Litchfield imports do a UK spec WRX for £16-£17K I think,so may go back there next.need something a bit bigger and that I can put a tow bar on as I have just bought a trials bike but the Clio cant tow a trailer.

tiTTy & SV650
well talking imprezas, they aint all faster. UK Wrx (bug eye) before the free power hikes not so long ago, wasn't much in it when rolling. and the old shape UK WRX's weren't much trouble I found, really annoyed one or 2 of them. 280 brake + = problem for the clio imo lol

trials bike is a toy everyone should have! going out to play on the work KX250 motocrosser on Wednesday, its a tough life.

Cupped 182 with Milltek
agreed,have shamed a couple of Imreza's.once on the move the standard car loses it's advantage unless it turns wet,but I will be keeping the Clio for another couple of years as it's only 18 months old,is fabulous to drive.I do think my trip computer is shagged though as the fuel consumption never changes from around 27mpg! in the meantime will hire a van for the bike...as you say,it is a very tough life.Have fun.but I am too old and fragile for a crosser..I even broke my elbow mountain biking last year much to the wifes disgust LOL

tiTTy & SV650
ahhh a fellow mountain biker too, me and ally are mountain bikers as is Steven M, Alan just bought a new bike too, as did Rufstuf, all scottish members!

Watch out for cliosport mtb meets, we've had 2 already, wales the first time then dumfries-shire recently, will be dumfries-shire again sometime this year probably.

Don't see why it's not covered under warranty - it's a common part malfunction likely to cause injury to yourself and others when it results in an accident!!

Day said:
Don't see why it's not covered under warranty - it's a common part malfunction likely to cause injury to yourself and others when it results in an accident!!
It is covered but most dealerships don't want to try with Renault although Renault will pay out.
The thing is the dealership has to foot the bill and send the shock (usually) back to Renault UK for testing if Renault approve the failure ie they agree it was at fault then they pay the garage otherwise the garage doesn't get paid so dealers don't want to have to oftt a £140 or so bill just incase Renault don't pay.

That's wrong IMO

Dealers act on behalf of Renault - If it's defective then it should be replaced as per the terms and conditions, I've had warranty work carried out in the past through a third party and it took one phone call between the garage and the warranty holdings company to sort - should be no different.

Seen too many people fobbed off recently, one was refused as she had the car serviced elsewhere - that takes the piss, I'd be livid with any stealer that turned around and said that :mad: