ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 crash question

RS Clio 182
Some idiot crashed into my passenger side yesterday....damage to my door and therea a dint to the rear wing.

Insurance company says its beyond ecomonical repair. I want to keep the car so not sure of my next move?

Do i have it as a write off,get the car value money and then buy it back off them?

Not sure how this works...

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Some insurance companies want to keep written off cars with no chance of buyback.

Personally I'd have it repaired by a person of my own choosing for a fraction of the price that the insurance repairers want, the insurance will pay out if it's no longer so expensive that it would write the car off and it therefore has no CAT designation either.

RS Clio 182
Some insurance companies want to keep written off cars with no chance of buyback.

Personally I'd have it repaired by a person of my own choosing for a fraction of the price that the insurance repairers want, the insurance will pay out if it's no longer so expensive that it would write the car off and it therefore has no CAT designation either.

Ok cheers...yeah was thinking to get it repaired myself. So i just ring insurance company up and close the claim?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Because they've already assessed it as being wrecked, they won't let you drive it away. Get someone to have a look at it from a garage you know, they'll produce a quote which then gets sent to the insurance company, who then approves the quote and the work then takes place.

Assuming it's not proper fucked.

RS Clio 182
Because they've already assessed it as being wrecked, they won't let you drive it away. Get someone to have a look at it from a garage you know, they'll produce a quote which then gets sent to the insurance company, who then approves the quote and the work then takes place.

Assuming it's not proper fucked.

They havnt assesed it yet...they want someone to pick it up and take it to a garage but i havnt arranged it yet.

RS Clio 182
Damage pic attached

Attachments

• 20161026_140807.jpg
    20161026_140807.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 160

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Gutted, for that level of damage I'd try and sort it out with the other person privately.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Most things under a couple of grand go cat C if there's bodywork damage.

You've got damage to two panels there, cost of parts, labour, hire car etc etc will rack up quickly.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
@gally will know this far better than me, but perhaps see if they will do a cash in lieu settlement if you want to keep the car. Sometimes this also means it wont have a CAT marker.

Its 100% a write off by insurance standards otherwise.

RS Clio 182
@gally will know this far better than me, but perhaps see if they will do a cash in lieu settlement if you want to keep the car. Sometimes this also means it wont have a CAT marker.

Its 100% a write off by insurance standards otherwise.

So basically i want to keep the car and do my own repairs on it,so what do i tell the insurance company?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Write it off, take the cash.. move on - or keep it if it's really that nice.. buy it back for peanuts off the insurance company. I'd not even bother washing it TBH - just run it in to the ground or track it and cover the damage in stickers !

RS Clio 182
If they gave me say a grand for the car,minus 450 excess...what am i suppoed to do with 550 quid?! When i had a well maintained 182....

dan's cast offs.
Who have you closed the claim with? Your insurance or the driver that hit the car?

As long as it's not a shed you'd probably be on for £2,000 and keeping the car. Quarter doesn't look bad at all, decent pdr guy should be able to straighten it out no problem.

RS Clio 182
Who have you closed the claim with? Your insurance or the driver that hit the car?

As long as it's not a shed you'd probably be on for £2,000 and keeping the car. Quarter doesn't look bad at all, decent pdr guy should be able to straighten it out no problem.

Webuyanycar valued it at 1k a year ago which was ridiculous...cant see insurance offering me much more.
I closed with my company. The guy hasnt made a claim yet. Car was in good condition apart from some scratches to alloys and a side wing.

Il try and get a quote for undenting it.

Don't let them take the car, not until you've got two separate quotes for the repair yourself.

When they took mine I had to fight to get it back to get a quote else where when they wanted to write mine off. It was a lot of hassle!

Their body shop wanted £3500 for my repair (writing my car off). I got it done for £900 down the local body shop.

RS Clio 182
Shouldn't be paying excess if it was the other person's fault or did they do one?

It hadnt got to the stage to determine whos fault it was. Surely its his tho as he drove into the side of me?!

Ive read on forums about going straight to his insurers...is that a viable option?

dan's cast offs.
You don't get your insurance involved, not really anythingt do with them. You can go direct to his insurance. When we got hit the other year was about 7:00pm, the other guys insurance rang me at 9:30 the following morning.

RS Clio 182
You don't get your insurance involved, not really anythingt do with them. You can go direct to his insurance. When we got hit the other year was about 7:00pm, the other guys insurance rang me at 9:30 the following morning.

So how does that work if i go straight to them...i dont think the other guy has claimed,probably knew it was his fault.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
If you have his insurance details you should have ring them and claimed not rung your insurance. He's not going to claim on his insurance for a bump that was his fault and lost his no claims and put his premium up. He's waiting to see if you claim on his insurance. Get then rung ASAP.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Not sure why you went through your own insurance so quickly. Its almost an admission of 50/50 guilt, especially if they don't fancy chasing the other people.

Not even like the car was unroadworthy.

Also if this had been dealt with properly the other insurance company would pay you out and also let you keep the car foc.... It doesnt belong to them afterall. Where as your insurance company take the car or in some cases let you keep it and give you a few quid to have it repaired (if you wish).

Lots of variables but youve not went about it right at all sadly.

PH2 172
They havnt assesed it yet...they want someone to pick it up and take it to a garage but i havnt arranged it yet.
Don`t,get your own quote for a contract repair and claim from their insurance.
Also decline any offer of a hire car,the more that is spent on a hire car,the less there left in the pot to cover any repair.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
That's not true. Very rarely is hire car costs taken in to repair. Legally that's also impossible to inforce if a policyholder was to challenge it or contact the ombudsman.

If the recovery costs are £1000 or even £250 or £500 they cannot be added or affect the repair cost vs value.

RS Clio 182
Not sure why you went through your own insurance so quickly. Its almost an admission of 50/50 guilt, especially if they don't fancy chasing the other people.

Not even like the car was unroadworthy.

Also if this had been dealt with properly the other insurance company would pay you out and also let you keep the car foc.... It doesnt belong to them afterall. Where as your insurance company take the car or in some cases let you keep it and give you a few quid to have it repaired (if you wish).

I just thought you had to inform your insurance company straight away,as people get others details after an incident. Ive never had to do this before as ive been 9 years without a crash with my 182. Obviously i went about it the wrong way! Not sure if there any implications for my renewal as ive made a claim but then cancelled it?

PH2 172
That's not true. Very rarely is hire car costs taken in to repair. Legally that's also impossible to inforce if a policyholder was to challenge it or contact the ombudsman.

I had a very good working relationship with the Aviva engineer in my neck of the woods.
Quotes accepted on photo evidence & my phone/word without an inspection visit and all that.
Approval.was conditional on a completion date,as the claims management vultures are forever ramping it up.
The major cost being replacement vehicle.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Did you tell them the situation that someone else had crashed into your car? I'm surprised they didn't just tell you to get in touch with the other persons insurance unless aviva are their insurers too? If you have put in a claim and cancelled it, it will still have an effect on your policy as you're seen as more high risk as they know you've had an accident.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I had a very good working relationship with the Aviva engineer in my neck of the woods.
Quotes accepted on photo evidence & my phone/word without an inspection visit and all that.
Approval.was conditional on a completion date,as the claims management vultures are forever ramping it up.
The major cost being replacement vehicle.
I have had similar. Very recently with a Lotus where the guy was in a 911 for quite a while.

PH2 172

Perhaps you would be good enough to write a guide on how to procede regarding insurance claims?Some do`s & don`ts.
There is certainly a need for enlightenment.
Although out of the game now,I found that a lot of customers did not realise if they were dealing with an insurer or a claims managment business.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I'm really not sure where people are getting this idea for not informing his own insurance?

My current policy and as far as I can remember all policies I've ever had/read clearly state that you MUST report all claims whether your fault or not and whether you intend to make a claim or not.
And that you should report it as soon as possible within 12h.

I get that some may decide not to go through insurance altogether for a minor bump but still...