ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Clunk

Dirty E91

Noticed a "clunking" noise this morning whilst heading to work, was in traffice moving at about 20-30 mph and noticed the noise when i lift off the accelerator causing the car to jolt slightly.

Seems to be coming from the drivers side near the front.

Any ideas?

Yes. The one most likely to fail will be the one on the right next to the battery.

However I doubt you will have managed to brake a mount unless you have given your 182 serious abuse. How many miles has it done?

Then again they may not have tightened it up in the first place.

Dirty E91

Only done about 1200 miles, it isnt very loud and Im trying to remember whether it sounded like it was ahead of me or more underneath the car.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

The noise I was referring to was a very slight metallic sounding "clunk" when coming off the throttle in 1st or 2nd gear, whilst rolling in traffic.

It was there when the car was delivered from new, so it wasnt abuse that broke it. Talking to Mike172sport who actually arranged the replacements for me he had the same problem on his 172. They keep failing until you "get a goodun".

Black 182 + Recaros

MarkCUP, you say youve had the engine mounts replaced. Is this a 172 or 182?

Im getting the exact same problem on my 172 MK2 but nobody has managed to fix it. Renault did something to the struts (cutting them) but I think they fixed the wrong thing.

You reckon if I get the engine mounts replaced this might work.

Matthew

Volvo S60 T5

Check the nearside gearbox mount to ensure all bolts are tight, all you need to do is to remove the battery and tight the two 13mm bolts and the main bolt in the middle of the mounting.

The one I changed on Markcups car was the osf engine mounting, was ok for a while but has come back as far as Im aware:(

Black 182 + Recaros

""Check the nearside gearbox mount......""

Thanks alot. Appreciate the info. Will take a look.

Matthew

Quote: Originally posted by MattyMarsh on 13 July 2004
im getting the exact same problem on my 172 MK2 but nobody has managed to fix it. Renault did something to the struts (cutting them) but I think they fixed the wrong thing.

Matthew

Lol thats exactly what they did for me, I took the mount actually snapping before they could work out what the problem was even though I had told them repeatedly that it was the battery side engine mount.

dk

911 GTS Cab

i had exactly this on my 182 from new, the dealer thought it was the exhaust knocking at first and replaced the heat shield, then it was doing it still so it went in again and my exhaust was bowing in the middle which they moved and they tightened and put some grease around the engine mount, which has done the trick and the noise is no more.

Black 182 + Recaros

wackojacko, what happens when the mount snaps ? Doesnt sound good ?

Is there a fault with the mounts or were they poorly fitted ?

Matthew