ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

182 Cat C- sell, keep or track?

Keep sell or track?

• Do cambelt and keep

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Do cambelt and sell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do cambelt and track

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Sell as it is

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
  Megane R26
So my partner and I are in two minds what to do with her 182 ff. Info and pics below

It's a Cat-C since 2014, front wing and headlight, belonged to a mate and I knew the history so it didn't bother me as it's all been fixed nicely and is the cleanest 182 I've seen and been ideal for her.

I have the itch for another 172 Cup but not sure what do do with 'Cliopatra'. We both have other cars now

It's due a cambelt in July so..
Do cambelt and sell? What's it even worth with cambelt, Dephaser and aux done?
Do cambelt and keep as a 3rd car?

Do cambelt and gut it and turn into a weekend toy /track far?
Surely a not so mint 172 Cup or Ph1 would be better base

Sell as it is? If so how much would be realistic?

95k miles
Mot July 17 no advisories
Serviced 1k miles ago
Part service history

Mods
Cooksport springs
Scorpion resonated catback
K&N panel filter
Headlight washer blanked
Aftermarket USB /aux headunit
Lower seat mod

Misc
Led interior lighting
Non smoking interior
Mint mint mint exterior apart from dent pictured! Absolutely immaculate, pics don't do it justice, it really has to be one of the cleanest about.

4x 6mm Michelin Pilot Sports

Issues -
Have lost rubber ring for washer motor so the washer jet tank leaks.
Rear washer spray doesn't work.

Everything else is spot on, drives very nicely

IMAG0171-01.jpg

IMAG0168-01.jpg

IMAG0172-01.jpg

IMAG0169-01.jpg

IMAG0167-01.jpg

IMAG0153-01.jpg

IMAG0155-01.jpg

IMAG0173-01.jpg

If you're selling don't bother doing the belts as a Cat C 182 will go for peanuts belts done or not unfortunately. I'd keep it, do the belts and make it a weekend/track slag.

Ex 182 owner
Agree no matter how good or bad.. there are so many cheap ones kicking around you would have to give it away being a cat c.
Drive it till it goes bang then strip all thats good onto another.

If your keeping it and the belts look OK I wouldn't change them either, as above drive it until it pops then strip for parts.

Megane R26
All fair points. We bought it knowing the history of the Cat C so to me it's worth more than the money we've been offered.

It's not got a single scrape or scratch and drives perfectly so I'd feel bad for turning it into a track car. I'll think it over but belt is due July this year so will have to make a decision soonish.

Appreciate any other opinions

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Keep the car, do track days, dont bother about the cambelt.
If/when it eventually blows up (probably wont), break it & make more money than you would selling it as a whole anyway.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
i'm in the track it and leave the belt camp too.

it may be clean etc but cat c will always count against it, and if it drives well and you know the car its ideal for a base for a track slag imo.

I'd get the cambelt etc done and keep it.
The thing with a weekend / track car is most people seem to think they'll be out every week doing laps, in reality though they may only use it twice a year for that. Plus even though it's a Cat C, it looks too good to track.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Just keep it and use it as a toy/track car. You don't need to do anything to it to use it for track days and still have fun. Plenty of people have good condition cars they use on track, it isn't a death sentence.

I wouldn't bother having the belt done to try and sell it, as the cat C thing will put a lot of people off. Just use it and enjoy it for what it is - a cheap, fun hot hatch. There are plenty of good condition ones out there that aren't cat C, so I wouldn't worry about it, just thrash it about and have fun. If you like it a lot, do the belt. If you don't, drive it til it lets go and then break it.