ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 brake pedal feel - canvassing opinions...

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs
All you 182 owners, how does your brake pedal feel? I know this is pretty subjective, but with the engine on and the car stationary, can you press the pedal all the way to the end of the stroke (and feel the stop)?

Renault bled my brakes the other day, (including bleeding the ABS unit) but my pedal can still be pressed all the way to the end of its travel with moderate force (say approximately equal to pressing the clutch).

The Renault mechanic seemed to think nothing was wrong, and the car stops fine, but it doesn't feel right to me. I'm worried that i'll suffer massive fade when i take it out on track.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Mine doesn't feel as sharp as it did when I first got the car, but after putting a bit more brake fluid in it does feel a lot better. Brake fluid level was very low when I topped it up yesterday.
Might be worth checking if there's enough in there (when the car is cold though).

I think it sounds normal. You are probably just more aware of it now than before.

If you're comparing it to the force required for the clutch, try braking with your left foot, if you're not used to it you'll find you stop pretty quick!

Black 197
^^ lol hold on to your hats

to the question.. I replaced discs and pads last week and bled the brakes they do feel much better but i do agree with the brake pedal not feeling as firm as it should though but my car stops well soi m not overly bothered tbh plus im gonna look at a RS Meg in half an hour so will part ex my jam jar anyway if i decide to go for it

BMW M135i
Mine used to go to the stop as well, never felt right but the brakes were properly bled and it'd stop no problems and never had any fade issues so just ignored it in the end.

Pedal feel should feel firm, it shouldn't really sink to the bottom though I don't think. To me the factory brakes on these cars are brilliant; good feel and are powerful - although I think they are on the verge of being too grabby as a lot of modern French stuff can be a little overservoed.

Pedal feel or brake performance is very difficult to measure unless you're driving though; what feels like a spongey pedal may not be if the brakes grab straight away. And that's what they should do really; if the car is rolling slowly press the brakes as lightly as you can and the car should come to a stop, if it doesn't they probably need bleeding.

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs
Hmmm. There's definitely no issues with fluid levels etc. I'm still not convinced it's right. Maybe I need to press a few 182 brake pedals for comparison. It might not be as stiff as the clutch initially, but it probably ramps up to a similar weighting as you reach the stop.

Just tried this today and mines the same, sure it wasn't like that before. I've noticed over the last couple of months my brakes have been s**t, stop the car but no where near as good as before.

Probably due new pads as they haven't been done in over a year, but next i'll check brake fluid and maybe get braided lines.