ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Bogging Down in Low Revs

Racing Blue Clio 182
Just today my 182 has started just bogging down low down the revs (2-3k), plus on tickover sometimes it hunts a bits, and also sometimes cuts out. When either starting to accelerate or when taking your foot off the throttle its also a bit jerky sometimes. Also a bit of a funny smell coming from the exhaust too. Any ideas? Plug and ht leads first point to look at??

Racing Blue Clio 182
Just finished replacing the plugs and leads. When I took the inlet manifold off the ht lead for cylinder 4 had been stuck between the manifold and engine and had got crushed in 2 places so I was hopefully it was that causing the problem. Unfortunately it appears it wasn't.

So leads and plugs replaced and it still has the same problem. I also noticed it is make a bit of a a rotten egg type smell when being driven too if that helps anybody diagnose the problem?? It sometimes is hunting very bad when just fired up too. Bad enough that sometimes the revs simply drop too low and it cuts out.

I laid under the car while a friend give it a little rev and couldn't see any obvious leaks from the cat, however I can't really get to it properly while the car is on the floor.

Any other suggestions or diagnosis from what I have said? Coil pack perhaps?

Also another strange thing happened after I had put the car all back together. Now when you have the headlights in the off position and turn the keyto the first ignition position the liglightly off (as they should) but as soon as you start the engine the headlights come on. Then when you turn it off and take the key out they go off (unlike if you had lights in the on position and took the key out as then they stay on and it beeps at you).

Racing Blue Clio 182
Also now when I go to lock the car the alarm makes a constant ringing noise and it won't stop. I disconnected the battery to do the leads and plugs. Do I have to somehow reset the alarm? It's just the standard renault one.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Also now when I go to lock the car the alarm makes a constant ringing noise and it won't stop. I disconnected the battery to do the leads and plugs. Do I have to somehow reset the alarm? It's just the standard renault one.
Bonnet not shut properly?

Racing Blue Clio 182
I think may have been the cause perhaps. Had the bonnet up again, faffed about a bit, the shut it firmly, and then the alarm worked fine.

Integrale1

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Mine was doing something very similar to this and it turned out to be a faulty injector on number four cylinder.
How did the plugs look when you took them out? The one for the faulty injector cylinder on mine was black and charred at the end.
Does it misfire?
The reason for the rotten egg smell is the air/fuel mix is wrong and the cat is struggling to clean the exhaust gasses

Clio 182
Headlights, did you disconnect battery if do you need to reset them as in manual.
You can have auto on or auto off .By pressing the button and ignition you get 2.beeps

Racing Blue Clio 182
Well, replaced both lamda sensors and still bad. We also tried swapping the coil pack from a mates Clio and that was no good either. Also checked around the CAT for leaks and couldn't see anything there either. Then we tried unplugging the MAP sensor and that seemed to make it run smooth. So going to try a new MAP sensor tomorrow and see if that solves it. At least its getting a good overhaul.

On a separate bit of work, I did also fit my old school Williams wheels, ripped out the rear seats and fitted a carpet in there place, and swapped out the front seats for a set of Recaro's, oh.... and fitted some colour coded dash trim too.