ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182, Astra GSI, ST220, Vectra GSI

MKIII 138

which would you choose ?

£9500-£10000 max for my next car.

the ST220 is around three years old at this price and has on average 30k miles but i know there are some gems out there you just have to look hard.

then there is the gsi astra with 197hp which are avalible £10k 2003 only two years old with 30k on the clock average

Vectra Gsi simular price the the ST220 but a bit lower.

then there is the 182 2004 with 7-10k miles for £10000

all Grp 16

economy in order of best = 182 best, then GSI, ST220/GSI

peformance

0-60 182 6.6

0-60 ST220 7.0

0-60 GSI 7.2

0-60 GSI 7.0

top speed 182 = 140mph

top speed astra gsi = 149

top speed ST220 = 155 (probably more)

top speed GSI Vectra = 159 mph (strangley only 210 hp ?)

im confused as to which to get..

the ST220 has a 3.0 V6 24 quad cam so will sound the nuts with a sports exhaust and proper induction kit. 220hp + lots of torque

GSI Vectra same as above but only 210hp. nice sounds once the 3.2 is tweaked.

The GSI will have a smooth spread of torque without the need to Rev and is of course tunable to a safe, daily 237hp

the 182 is economical and is a fun car to drive. although doesnt sound nice, doesnt have instant torque and isnt esily tunable.

im confused but im swaying towards the ST220, but a 182 seems ok if a bit dated.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

I had the Zetec S V6 Mondeo before my Cup. 50bhp down on the ST220, but same handling pack with 18s etc.

Handled like a car of that size had no right to, but was a bit gutless. Im sure the 220 is a gem.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Ive raced a 220 in my old 172 and after 90mph he was gone.

They look good and go well,that would be my choice

ian

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by ian 182 on 01 July 2005

ian
if that would be your choice why did you buy a 182? :confused:

MKIII 138

yea before my bro got his fabia he had a TDCI Zetec S 18" + strut. 180hp tuning box + lowered 30mm on eibachs.. i saw it take a tight sweeping bend at 95mph it was unreal and thats with a heavy iron diesel engine in the front. the 2.0 zetec petrol before that had much faster crisper steering than my 172 and it felt way more precise than the wrx i drove basically if you look at where you want the car to be and steer it will get exactly where you want it too. i dont think people understand how good the zetec s is ive been the car when we cornered hard and the STI infront looked unsettled slightly yet we were flat as fook.

im thinkin ST220 + bluefin induction, exhaust for 240hp then lowered 30/40mm.

the only drawback is the economy at 23-27mpg.

ive come to a conclusion any car once over its weight and at the point of travelling with interia with more hp than the 182 will pull over 100mph

tiTTy & SV650

and I dont see how you can say a 182 is a bit dated when comparing to a St220, isnt the 220 the older shape mondeo?

Im not saying the 182 is better, Mondeos handle brilliantly (for a saloon) and torque would be nice.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Quote: Originally posted by rory182 on 01 July 2005

Quote: Originally posted by ian 182 on 01 July 2005

ian
if that would be your choice why did you buy a 182? :confused:
because that was what i wanted at the time.duh:confused:

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by MarkCup on 01 July 2005

Nope, ST220 is the new shape. But it is due for replacement soon.
ahh right, much smoother ride and improved build quality on those, fair play.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Dont get me wrong if i had lots of kids and wanted a big fast barge then yes the mondeo would do it,but im not ready for that yet and like to have fun in a hatch for now

ian

Clio 200 Cup packed

meggerman, buy my 182 for £9750, its like brand new, i guarentee you wont find a better example. :D

ebay item: 4558236230

go on ya know ya wanna...

i went for a drive in the st220 the other day and it was very nice it wasnt the hatch shape it had the small boot (looks much better with the small boot) and it did go well and sounded very nice but i dont know if its just me but it didnt pick up as well as the CUP but im very sure once u get the thing moving it will fly! and the Recaro black leather was nice Oh an the "clock"! lol

out of all the big cars id go for the ST220

but for nippy handling and quick responce go for the 182.

but for nippy handling and quick responce go for the 182.

you forgot to mention countles trips to the dealers to repair faults .

brian

lol well i havent had much wrong with my 172 cup it seems to be alot of 182s going back or braking down (new ones) but im sure 172s have had the turn already!

every car will have its own faults i supose but remeber the ST220 is a £20,000+ when new...

Laguna 2, Westfield

My friend had a st220 up until recently - you really need to get a later one to get the 6 speed box as its much better than the old 5, and the interior is further improved. These may be more than 10k but you can look.

They sound fantastic, second gear rolling burnouts (esp off) much fun ;) superb handling, it doesnt feel like a big car when you drive it really.

limited to 155mph, all the toys - variable heated recaro leather etc.

And Built much better than any renault. *hides*

R

rich[182]

astra turbo very tuneable, get 250+bhp and amazing mid range torque & sort out the crap suspension u gotta car that will piss all over a std 172/182 in a straight line

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by rich172 on 02 July 2005
astra turbo very tuneable, get 250+bhp and amazing mid range torque & sort out the crap suspension u gotta car that will piss all over a std 172/182 in a straight line

it would be fast but i cant see it "piss all over" a 182

R

rich[182]

youd be surprised, im talking 250-260bhp and over 230 torque, the throttle response, power/torque curve on these and virtually zero lag is phenomenal when setup properly
the grunt in 3rd & 4th is supposed to be spot on and for anyone who cares about silly speeds the pull in 5th would really leave a 172/182 in its wake
Ive been in one as a passenger with 240/220 thats 3 up v a Leon cupra 225 (just driver) and pulled on it impressively also know owner destroyed a 306 gti6 though no encounters v 172/182 to my knowledge yet

2005 Impreza WRX STI

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 02 July 2005

Quote: Originally posted by rich172 on 02 July 2005

it would be fast but i cant see it "piss all over" a 182

bet it would

the only difference between all those cars comes when youre already in lisence losing territory.

id go with: economy, space, looks.

MKIII 138

Quote: Originally posted by Jim172CUP on 02 July 2005

the only difference between all those cars comes when youre already in lisence losing territory.

id go with: economy, space, looks.
182 only has economy out of those three though.

E91 M Sport

Why are you comparing two practical, top-of-boring-range cars, and a 182?? :confused:

Are you after a fun hatchback or a practical 4-door?

I dont think youd ever be able to sort the suspension nicely on an Astra, theyre just a crap setup. And then youve got the looks :sick:

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo

The 182 has the looks over a mondeo. Easily. The ST220 are very good cars. But you cant really compare a 182 to it. Thats more megan 225 teritory surely. If you want and amazing hot hatch go for the 182, if you want a fast family car go for the ST220.

MKIII 138

Quote: Originally posted by mcoppen on 02 July 2005

The 182 has the looks over a mondeo. Easily. The ST220 are very good cars. But you cant really compare a 182 to it. Thats more megan 225 teritory surely. If you want and amazing hot hatch go for the 182, if you want a fast family car go for the ST220.
well that depends if your talking style, road presence or image.

i agree for style the 182 has it easily. for road presence its physically a lot smaller so it loses even if it does punch above its weight. Image it depends but forgetting performance would you rather be seen stepping out of a ST220 or a 182 ?

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo

Would rather step out of a 182. The mondeo just hasnt got the wow factor the 182 has. Yes the 182 is smaller, so has less road presence, but then its a hatch, supposed to be small. As i said, if you want it for a family, go for the mondeo, is easily one of the best family/sports cars about for the money. But if you want hot hatch handling and fast, fun driving, get the 182.

Elise/VX220/R26

Its a difficult copmparison really as the 182 and Mondeo are just so different. In terms of Driveway appeal I still think the mondeo would have it. When Im out n about Ill look twice at an ST220 as its a rarer sight, 182s are practically goverment issue round here tho. I think the 182 appeals to the younger audience as it were, like I would say the 182 doesnt really have a "wow" factor to look at (unless its yellow!) obviously the idea of the 182 is to drive it. Mondeo has definite kerb appeal in a subtle way.