ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182/197 decisions.

As my car tax runs out on the 306 end of this month, and as long as everything goes to plan tomorrow with my mortgage offer, I can now get another car anytime. (Queue me posting tomorrow that they've f**ked it up again and I have to wait longer lol)

Anyway, I cannot decide, 182 or 197. I've had a 182, and I loved it to bits. Wouldn't have sold it if I didn't want a house.

The car isn't going to be used a whole lot. I'm going to be living about 1/2 a mile from work, so the odd evening and weekends only. Therefore the sensible side of me says get a 182 as they are dirt cheap nowadays. The snob in me says, every chav now has a 182, get a 197, plus it's a better car (it is don't argue). But then I keep thinking is there any point in spending £10-£11k and having it sat in the garage all week?!

Although, I cannot find a decent 182 for sale anywhere?! Ideally I'd want a 05 or 55 in RB, arctic, or BG. Obviously with both cup packs, and below 40k. Where as there's plenty of decent 197's / R27's about at the moment.

I did toy with getting a 172 for a bit, but I'd never be happy with such an old car tbh. If I can't decide I'm going to just go and get a ford focus 1.6 with wheel trims.

Swift Sport
Sounds like you know the score, just gotta make the decision!!

197 = better
182 = cheaper
172 = cheaper still lol

197 for newer, better, car with warranty.

1*2 for older cheaper car thats just as capable that theres no issue with if you decide to mod it.

Suzuki Swift Sport
I was in a similar situation to you, Ive just got a 197 now, paid 8.4k for it (56 plate with 18k miles) and I must say im well pleased! It drives like new and even though it maybe doesnt offer the raw fun my 182 offered, its much more competent and is still a blast!

It seems a lot of money to spend on something you'll use so rarely. The 197 is a better car, but its twice the price.

Buy a 182 and spend the rest on a bigger tv and house stuff.

It seems a lot of money to spend on something you'll use so rarely. The 197 is a better car, but its twice the price.

Buy a 182 and spend the rest on a bigger tv and house stuff.

Have a big enough new tv I bought last month, and already have house stuff anyway. I suppose it's whether I'd rather the money sitting in the bank, or the garage lol. Although it won't depreciate in the bank.

If I found a mint 182, I'd probably go for it tbh, but it's finding them as they're getting old now.

R27 #242
haha i work for a bank mate, are you so sure your money is safe at the mo?
i think 182 sounds more suited for what you'l be using for tbh :)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Trophy is the obvious choice surley? Better suspension set up and can be had for 7.2k so a decent compromise as its not going to be used daily?

SchwepTek™
Leigh if you've got the money then go with whatever you prefer to drive.

Take a 197 out for a decent test, u know what 172 and 182s are like as you have had both already.

imo i wouldnt spend 10k+ on a clio....lol.

Trophy is the obvious choice surley? Better suspension set up and can be had for 7.2k so a decent compromise as its not going to be used daily?

Don't like the redness lol.

Leigh if you've got the money then go with whatever you prefer to drive.

Take a 197 out for a decent test, u know what 172 and 182s are like as you have had both already.

imo i wouldnt spend 10k+ on a clio....lol.

Hmm. I'm hopefully taking a nice 197 out this week. I've driven one before back in '06 but forgotten what it was like tbh.

Yes £10k on a clio is quite a bit. I'd be happy with a mint 182. I should get a 182 really. But...

LOL! You can get alot of other cars for 10k.

DC5... ;)

I have this strange magnetism to clios tbh. Don't know why, but I love them. If I could justify having a 197 I would be signing the paperwork as we speak, but I can't. Shame your's is the pikey spec really. Although, I would be tempted with yours as it now has the xenons.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
R26? Step-up from a 1*2, quicker and better to drive (IMO!) than a 197. I wouldn't buy a 197 now(or ever;)), as the residuals may take a hit when the 200 is released.

R26? Step-up from a 1*2, quicker and better to drive (IMO!) than a 197. I wouldn't buy a 197 now(or ever;)), as the residuals may take a hit when the 200 is released.

I think you've mentioned the R26's to me before. But for some reason I have a strange loyalty to the clio. The hit when the 200 is released has crossed my mind, but I need a car this month tbh.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I think you've mentioned the R26's to me before. But for some reason I have a strange loyalty to the clio. The hit when the 200 is released has crossed my mind, but I need a car this month tbh.
I'd go and drive a 197 with cup packs and an R26. Decide from there. Unless it has to be a clio! Then it's wether a 197 is worth the extra outlay and running costs for you.

But the R26 is the previous shape megane and the new Renaultsport will be out in a couple of months. As for the Clio you can't go wrong with either the 182 or 197.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
But the R26 is the previous shape megane and the new Renaultsport will be out in a couple of months. As for the Clio you can't go wrong with either the 182 or 197.
Ditto the 197, both are about to be replaced. The R26's have taken more of a hit than the 197's, so cracking value at the moment. Stage 2 remap, you're in a different league! More torque than a 997 GT3 FFS!

SchwepTek™
I have this strange magnetism to clios tbh. Don't know why, but I love them. If I could justify having a 197 I would be signing the paperwork as we speak, but I can't. Shame your's is the pikey spec really. Although, I would be tempted with yours as it now has the xenons.

Will be for sale soon! ;)

Ditto the 197, both are about to be replaced. The R26's have taken more of a hit than the 197's, so cracking value at the moment. Stage 2 remap, you're in a different league! More torque than a 997 GT3 FFS!

I agree with the R26 being cracking value. It seems all of the Renaultsport range is cracking value at the moment, including 18k brand new R26-Rs.
However £19k that someone paid for a RS Clio 200 isn't.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I agree with the R26 being cracking value. It seems all of the Renaultsport range is cracking value at the moment, including 18k brand new R26-Rs.
However £19k that someone paid for a RS Clio 200 isn't.
f**k a duck, someone got bent over!

DCi
my old man is going to look at a clio lux tonight, for some reason it's got 4k off down to £14k... delivery miles only... I guess they are shifting stock before the 200 comes out...go pester you dealer?

my old man is going to look at a clio lux tonight, for some reason it's got 4k off down to £14k... delivery miles only... I guess they are shifting stock before the 200 comes out...go pester you dealer?

Yeah I went to the dealer yesterday. They have this 197 coming in this week. Albi, recaros, white wheels, xenons, automatic lights and wipers, electric mirrors.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5

The 200 is a face lift.

The new Meggy RS gets rid of the ugly sister;)

They all bang on about the clio trophy on this forum being the best ever.

I talked through my decision with several on here when i decided on the 197 Cup.

For me the benchmark has lept forward as my Cup is more than a match for my old trophy. I would even say it's more fun on the limit especially when on track :quiet:

A ANIMAL
The 200 is a face lift.

I talked through my decision with several on here when i decided on the 197 Cup.

For me the benchmark has lept forward as my Cup is more than a match for my old trophy. I would even say it's more fun on the limit especially when on track :quiet:

LIES

What would a Albi blue 197, 2007 '07' with 18k, recaros, climate, xenons, auto lights/wipers, white cup speedlines, cup spoiler be worth roughly?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The 200 is a face lift.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but to say the benchmark has leapt forward, is in IMO not true. Evo track test the Trophy was quicker. PC magazine (who had run the 197cup as a long termer and loved it) declared the Trophy more fun and interactive at 7/10ths compared to the 197. You may prefer it, but a lot of people seem to get caught up in new car syndrome, seeing as journalists try to be objective, I believe their opinion is just as (if not more) valid.

TBF, having thought about this more. Buy a 182. Now I am moving out, and that I dont use the 197 much and will soon be using it less thats what I wish I had done.