ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 / 172 head and block differences

Renault Clio Super 1600
Hi all, does anyone know of the differences between the 182 and 172 engines, for thw ph1 and ph2s etc etc.

I am looking to build a competition engine, with a spare and need to know which is the best to use.

Cheers in advance,

Hal

172/1.2/E30
ph1 engine is best imo: bigger exhaust ports and slightly higher compression (11.2:1 instead of 11:1) irc. Not much difference in between these engines. As it's going to be a competition engine and you'll rework the head/pistons anyway, it really doesn't matter.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Doesn't make much difference. Ph1 head is easiest to start with as you have larger exhaust ports, but nothing you couldn't replicate on a ph2/182 head (as I've done a number of times)

Nothing else that makes any difference is different. Someone pointed out the cranks have a couple of versions, but I've seen nothing better or worse about any of them.