ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

18 year old with a 172.

Ph1
My mate's just about to turn 18 and after seeing how my 172 goes has decided to aim a bit higher than a Valver which he set his mind on and start on the 172 ladder.

Now he dosent mind going back with his olds on there policy for the privilege of owning one.

The car he'd want would be a mk1 172.

I did a search and there was a lad paying over 3k **cough cough splutter gulp** with a Cup.

Are there any 18 year olds with a mk1 172 who have there own insurance ?? Who with and how much if yes ??

Or are there any 18 year olds who are with there folk's and again how much would that be, roughly, for him ??

Cheers

on his dads or mums should be around £1000<from experience
dad had mega years no claims and the car was genuinly driven by him as his main car, 17 year old only now and again

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
i im 18 with a 172 mrk1, was 18 when i got it, i pay 3.2k tpff on ma own policy, (3points) other offences 2 (none drivin) ((nothin much)) (((i was joking)))

Welcome to insurance fraud conversation again, please hold on while this thread reaches the dizzy heights of 20 pages.

Yup, sadly these morons dont realise the premiums are set out of their reach or prohibitavely high for a reason :rolleyes: clearly its the sensible thing to do to commit insurance fraud to be clever and have one over on the system :rolleyes: If you cant afford to insure it in your own name then dont buy it IMO. Even if it wasnt fraud which could leave you in the s**t financially and with no licence if the police find out it just doesnt make sense. All you are doing it delaying the inevitable, one day you'll need your own policy and then in your mid 20s when people are paying alot less you'll be getting ass raped because you have no NCD of your own. Also worth bearing in mind if you get caught out your parent(s) can be charged with fraud also.

Phase One 172
I nearly commited to buying a 172 a few weeks ago and im only 18... but decided to wait. The risk of getting caught without proper insurance isnt worth it IMO and the way I see it I would have to downgrade to some crappy 1.2 in a few years time to start my NCB anyway... so ive decided to stick to my mini 998 with a massive 40bhp... eat my dust you 172/182 drivers!

lol, good man, give it a couple of years you'll have more cash saved and be able to insure it for alot less as you'll actually have some NCD.

The Tube
Cappy said:
I nearly commited to buying a 172 a few weeks ago and im only 18... but decided to wait. The risk of getting caught without proper insurance isnt worth it IMO and the way I see it I would have to downgrade to some crappy 1.2 in a few years time to start my NCB anyway... so ive decided to stick to my mini 998 with a massive 40bhp... eat my dust you 172/182 drivers!

Very sensible though mate, and I tell you one thing, you'll appreciate it when you finally get your 172/182 all off your own back, without the help of mummy or daddys insurance!

Nike Lunar Elite's
Rather than going on your parents insurance (fraud) insure it in your own name and add your parents as additional drivers. I did this with mine (not a 172 but the principle will be the same) as they drive my car occasionally but I use it to drive to uni, and my insurance quotes came down from £1200 to £700.

Ph1
Loony said:
Yup, sadly these morons dont realise the premiums are set out of their reach or prohibitavely high for a reason :rolleyes: clearly its the sensible thing to do to commit insurance fraud to be clever and have one over on the system :rolleyes: If you cant afford to insure it in your own name then dont buy it IMO. Even if it wasnt fraud which could leave you in the sh*t financially and with no licence if the police find out it just doesnt make sense. All you are doing it delaying the inevitable, one day you'll need your own policy and then in your mid 20s when people are paying alot less you'll be getting ass raped because you have no NCD of your own. Also worth bearing in mind if you get caught out your parent(s) can be charged with fraud also.

Would be difficult for the police / insurance to prove that you didnt just borrow mummy's car and bob out to the shops and have a crash so you'd have to be unlucky to get done for fraud.

Its not a case of getting one over on the system, its a simple fact of young lads want fast cars on the cheap and without paying thousands is the next best thing to having your own cover.

You might say the same thing about getting a loan for a car and taking out payment protection. You havent got the money so you shouldnt be driving the car !!

Bet a good half of folk on here have been under the parents insurance at one time or another.

Agree what your saying in principle, but i'd say a fool proof way for the insurance companys and a sort of ''earning a right'' to drive a nice car would be for them to link insurance groups to age.

ie: group 1 - 10 for = 17 / 18 year olds

1 - 15 for = 18 / 20

etc etc

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
Cappy said:

but this is proper insurance the car would be insured fully comp so if you did have a crash it would just be like having a crash in you "own" car
IMO the only way the insurance co's could find out is if they filmed you for a year and you drove the car 365 days of that year and your parents never drove it.
but getting back to a 18 year old with a 172 IMO is dangerous as they have not had enough experiance

Half stripped mk2 172
When I used to live in Malta I had 11 cars in 5 years, plus 3 bikes. I never insured on me own policy so as to save money, but when i came to UK and bought my 172 I was fu**ed. I never thought that NCB is transferrable from one country to another, and so at 24years 11months old, I am paying 1123 pounds, tpft. Nice figure!!! If i had my own policy when I was 18, that figure would have gone down to 499 fully comp!! So bottom line is, it is expensive to insure when you 18yrs old but it pays off, if you dont claim cos every year it goes down! Vince

This has come up before. I know someone who had a cossie insured under his fathers name with him on the named drivers list. he binned it into the back of a brand new M power Beemer. The police turned up questions were asked about how a lad of his age was driving it. Obviously he was covered on it but the police thought it odd seeing as his dad was driving around in a vectra so interviewed his neighbours and employers who all told the police he used the car daily and this resulted in him losing his licence being done for fraud and having to pay out the cost of the BMW's damage, the drivers personal injury costs and court costs. He's still paying it off now and the accident was about 5 years ago.

ST
Loony said:
This has come up before. I know someone who had a cossie insured under his fathers name with him on the named drivers list. he binned it into the back of a brand new M power Beemer. The police turned up questions were asked about how a lad of his age was driving it. Obviously he was covered on it but the police thought it odd seeing as his dad was driving around in a vectra so interviewed his neighbours and employers who all told the police he used the car daily and this resulted in him losing his licence being done for fraud and having to pay out the cost of the BMW's damage, the drivers personal injury costs and court costs. He's still paying it off now and the accident was about 5 years ago.

Bloody hell, thats called learning the hard way eh! :nono:

172 Cup & 600BHP supra
I work in insurance claims, trust me if u were 18 and driving under a parents name who was say 40 for arguments sake. and you crashed it you would be investigated thoroughly as in 99% of these cases the young driver is the main driver, thus commiting fraud known as fronting. Your policy can be void without refund, you canbe sued by the insurer for "failure to disclose material facts", and you can lose your license and be prosecuted by the police. In extream cases though.

Sorry to burst your bubble but its not worth the risk.

As stated before it would be better for you to be the policyholder and put your folks on as Name Drivers. This will greatly reduce the premium, maybe not as much as if it was your parents policy, but atleast you would be legal & legit! PLUS you build up your NCD! ITS THE WAY FORWARD!

Phase One 172
but this is proper insurance the car would be insured fully comp so if you did have a crash it would just be like having a crash in you "own" car
IMO the only way the insurance co's could find out is if they filmed you for a year and you drove the car 365 days of that year and your parents never drove it.
but getting back to a 18 year old with a 172 IMO is dangerous as they have not had enough experiance
user_offline.gif

I appreciate that it would be very unlikely to actually get caught.... but starting my own policy makes the satisfaction of getting my 172 on my own policy even better when i can afford to. I completely agree with the inexperience thing... I know only a handful of friends my age who havent crashed... anyway in my mini i can get some serious HARDCORE MPG !!! lol

Nike Lunar Elite's
Cappy said:
user_offline.gif

I appreciate that it would be very unlikely to actually get caught.... but starting my own policy makes the satisfaction of getting my 172 on my own policy even better when i can afford to. I completely agree with the inexperience thing... I know only a handful of friends my age who havent crashed... anyway in my mini i can get some serious HARDCORE MPG !!! lol

Have you just not read the post or do you feel that you need to ignore Killer Cup's comment to get your own (incorrect) point over???

Phase One 172
Have you just not read the post or do you feel that you need to ignore Killer Cup's comment to get your own (incorrect) point over???
user_online.gif

Im no expert and I obviously missed that post... but I said earlier I personally think its better to start your own NCB as the policy holder... which in a nutshell is what Killer Cup said!