ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

17s on MKI 172

Can any of you chaps offer me some advise.

Im looking at getting soome 17 x 7 Masitaly GTR on my MKI 172. However im worried that they will not only rub on the arches but also have an effect on the performance.

Demon Tweeks tell me they will go on without a problem unless i have the car fully loaded with peeps.

Have any of you guys had any problems/issues running on 17" rims??

Also i cannot decide wether to go for Yokohoma A539 or the Toyo Proxes T1 tyres and whats the best profile for the 17s???

All these questions...... Any ideas??

i have problems with my 17s on my mk2 when i have 2 people in the back but my wheels are 7.5" wide so that might be my problem the best tyre size is 205/40/17 as they are cheapest you could go 215/35/17 tho

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Im waiting for some info regarding this. But Im looking at 215/35R17 you could speak to demon tweeks and get their opinion on this!!?

I had 205/40R17 and I am 99% certain that they affected performance big time. I will post the info once I have it.

Oh and I would go for the Toyos over the Yokos

Thanks for the input guys, i think i might just cut my losses and go with some 16s.

Keep me posted on any feedback you got

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

I have the 539 on my new wheels and had toyos on the old ones. I havent really had a good chance to test the yokos, but initial opinion is that the toyos are better (although not sure they wear too well!)

Considering the mk1 was designed for 15s i wouldnt want to push it with 17s. The GTR wheels look great as 16s anyway, just lower it a little and theyll look bigger anyway.

-Rob

Yeah i hear what your saying thats the dilemma im facing. It is easier for me to match the current wheel size if i go for the 16s on one hand i think your right on the other i think 17 would look wicked!!!!

Quote: Originally posted by geordiepaul on 25 April 2003

If you fit 215/35R17 then you shouldnt really have a problem apart from a hard ride!
Why would you have a hard ride having these instead of 205/40R17?

Quote: Originally posted by Sport172 on 25 April 2003

Yeah i hear what your saying thats the dilemma im facing. It is easier for me to match the current wheel size if i go for the 16s on one hand i think your right on the other i think 17 would look wicked!!!!
Well it depends if you give precendence to styling over perfomance then.

-Rob

but when you really wwork it out there is no difference and im sure roamer would back me up my car isnt a slouch with 17s on lets put it this way it dont turn it into a saxo vtr lol

i put OZ superlegerra on my MK!..205/40/17..It rubs on the left rear when im turning left on high speed. didnt seem to have a problem on the right side though..