ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172cup vs V6

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
Halelujah.....a positive V6 thread......

Well said Blaze.....superior in every way (if speeds all your interested in then buy a bike....)

Cheers R8TDL, too many people who feel their cars are better than they actually are. This is from a MK1/MK2 172 & now 182 cupped owner. The only reason for my apparent idiocy is that as a company car they have given all that could be asked for the allowance.

I would roll over for a larger allowance, and the V6

PS the speed is better in very respect from a V. A slating is coming I'm sure.

Yet all others fail to understand same driver, same conditions, and who has the littlest penis, puts the other RS's in the shade, but not from the penile shadow.

Clio Cup
This thread is making me want a v6 but surely the track is not where the v6 excels. All that weight is going to cost you a fortune in consumables if you track it.

VaVa
I'd take one (mk2) over any other Renaultsport Clio. Faster or not.

Always nice to have a poke at the V6 owners though. lol.

The Cup maybe almost as fast - But you could buy a cheap turbo something or other (like on of those awful Glanza things), get it chipped and it'll be faster than a Cup......... But I know which I'd rather be seen in ;)

Clio 172 mk2
I'd love a V6 no matter how quick it is round a track etc.

There's something very special about that car....the mid engine, the looks and the rarity:D

Nippy white cup
I love the V6...the sound, the looks are fantastic. But....Matt Black had a mk1 V6 and I had just got my Cup (less than 1000 miles on it) and we had a play on the motorway. Him on his own and me and Nic in mine. 60mph roll upto over banning speeds and we were exactly the same. I do understand the attraction of the V but If I could afford £20k+ I would be looking elsewhere.

Chris

Its not about speed etc with the V6... Its the drive, totally unique car to drive.. If you are looking purely on facts and figures your looking at the wrong angle on this car

ph1 172
I had a ride in one down the m11 from cambridge with no engine cover on (earplugs anybody) in the dark.

You could come up behind people and they would move out the way like the devil was sitting behind them. Ive only ever had this in cars costing 4+ times as much.

Its not the sort of car you want to crash though (money wise) the RRP's of the panels are stupid £1300+ for rear 1/4, £1000+ for a sill, £800+ for a front wing. You could easily write one off without any shell/suspension damage.

3 MPS, MX5
I don't think anyone has mentioned the rear wheel drive.

The V6 is nothing like any other Clio to drive, theres no torque steer and the weighting in the steering is completely different, and like everyone else has said the times mean nothing. You wouldn't compare say, a Porsche Boxster to the 172/182 as its completely different to drive although hardly any quicker. Just because the Clio V6 is a Clio it is that much different to drive. IMO obviously;)

I'm not slating either the 172 or 182, I've had them in the past (well ex-wife has) and they are great cars for the money.

Quicker doesn't always mean better:)

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
Its clear now that there are some sensible folk on this forum. I've made note of you all!

The ones who normally chime in when V6 is mentioned to "have a go" in a completley negative "V6's are shite" way are nowhere to be seen...!

Thank God for that...as it's so peaceful, relaxed and friendly. UIn fact this is the first thread I've actually read on here in 5 years where there has been no ego's!

Fancy a spin off forum guys...?

And it won't cost a fiver either...a bit like www.v6clio.net and the membership cards are superior!

TomS said:
I've driven a V6 255 and it simply knocks spots off anything I've ever driven in the clio range... 172's, valvers, williams.. which is no big surprise im sure...

You drive like a poofter!;)

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255
I'm so amazed at this uncharacteristically balanced thread that I think a picture is in order :).

RoseBowl-7.jpg

Time to go and drive home from work in my Vee ... I'm smiling already at the mere thought of it :D :D :D.

Octy VRS
Mate bought a MK2 V6 the other week and let me out in it up the A3 so got to stretch it's legs. Initial impression from a standing start I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. The midrange however kicks arse and completely shadows my 182. Felt very light at the front end though at high speed but I'm sure you would get used to it. I'd have one if I could afford it!
Oh, and the sound of the engine...........:cool:

oska said:
Mate bought a MK2 V6 the other week and let me out in it up the A3 so got to stretch it's legs. Initial impression from a standing start I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be.

Well it must be hard to feel the One sec faster to 60mph I guess ;)

Simon

Last edited:
  Clio 172 mk2
wrx-172 said:
Its not about speed etc with the V6... Its the drive, totally unique car to drive.. If you are looking purely on facts and figures your looking at the wrong angle on this car

I think you've hit the nail on the head there:D

BMW E46 330i Touring
18ME said:
You saying my car's common? :rasp:

As muck... :S

Nah, I actually prefer the look of the Mk2 V6, but I fell in love with the Mk1, so that's the one that I 'will' own...

BMW E46 330i Touring
Lol, Cosworth's are awesome, but the same money for a car much older and with a much worse reputation for being driven by Essex boys, and the desirability does tail off a bit.

I'd still love one though...

Clio 172 mk2
Nice Cossie there but I don't know if I could part with 15k for a car built in 1993 with 81k miles on.

Definately future classics though

Pikey Truck
R Andy said:
I'm so amazed at this uncharacteristically balanced thread that I think a picture is in order :).

RoseBowl-7.jpg

Time to go and drive home from work in my Vee ... I'm smiling already at the mere thought of it :D :D :D.

That what owning a Vee is all about!! :approve:

Renault Clio v6 MK2
M7CUO_V6 said:
R u thinking of getting mk1 or 2 mate?

Ive never driven a 172 or 182 but i own a mk1 vee and its an amazing car to own. i think you would only have more presence on the road in a Ferrari, TVR etc. Everyone looks in oar!

The noise is one of the best things about it for sure. The looks are the best, (255 probably better). And i could drive it all day on dry B roads, (if i had the petrol money).

I like the way you said 'dry B roads' ;)

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
Tom....are you registered over at www.V6clio.net ???

You'll find a load of interesting and useful information over there and the members are very friendly!