ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 won't turn over

E90 320d M Sport
Just jumped in my 172 to go out and it won't even turn over.

I changed the battery last year. It did the same on Friday and after holding the key in the ignition to on it started up eventually.

Any idea what it could be?

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Try the starter motor relay.vvin the under bonnet fuse box. Mine goes through stages of working and then not working. Take it out, check and clean any corrosion off. Tap it agains a hard surface a few times. Sorts mine out for a while usually.

E90 320d M Sport
Just been out and it has fired back up again, no problem. Weird this is.

Is the relay obvious to spot when I open up the box?

Cheers.

E90 320d M Sport
It's done it again today. Had to bump start it.

Reckon it's the starter motor sticking?

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Have you found the relay? I you search on here of google it it will show you where to find it. Because of how intermittent it is I think it's the relay. Mine was exactly the same. Worked fine then nothing. Just a click when I tried to start it.

E90 320d M Sport
I took the 3 black relays out and they were covered in lime scale and grime.

Cleaned them up and it fired straight up.

Not had a problem since.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Try the starter motor relay.vvin the under bonnet fuse box. Mine goes through stages of working and then not working. Take it out, check and clean any corrosion off. Tap it agains a hard surface a few times. Sorts mine out for a while usually.

60% of the time it works every time!!

Clio 182
Which relay does what? Which can cause the engine not to turn over, even though there are ignition lights up and everything else works ok.