ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 wheel spin

Now its gettin moist and dense, In 1st gear even without blasting the gas I get major wheelspin = along with a bad knocking sound coming from the dashboard/ front wheels, its sounds nasty anybody else get this???

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

theyve been known to suffer from engine mount problems.them continental tyres are pretty crap though,ive just had some uniroyal tyres for mine and it doesnt spin half as much as it did before.Let your dealer have a listen(go on road test with a tech to demonstrate the noise)

@jay the sound is normal when you spin the wheels. The trick is to don´t spin it thats the sollution. Put some 17 " on them it will be gone

cheers

i had problems with the wheels spinnin on the 1.2 16v, down to crap tyres though... got 17s on it now and yokos and still havent spun the wheels unintentionally !!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

oh i know.i just go steady in first cos most of the time its just the mounts being noisy due to the stress there under when you spin it(normal).I have had the odd one though that is really bad and that was the gearbox tie bar falling apart but like you say most of the time it is normal.These new tyres i have got have improved my grip no end.i was pretty surprised.

yes you r right jay if I hear the sound I either stop pushing throttle or push it into 2nd. I now run the stock mk1 rimms cause it´s almost winter here in Holland. But normally I run my oz´s 16" with 195/45 Bridgestone Potenza Poleposition 2. I swear with these tyres they realy do not spin.

cheers

320d M Sport

is it summat that should be covered under warranty as mines done it from day 1, always meant to get it looked at but didnt.

Mines done this from day 1 too. I just presumed this is normal if you wheelspin and bounce down the road!

mines not got the traction control button! should I take it in?? nothing sounds loose just a juddering under the dash.. or am I just too heavy footed in first gear?

Its called wheel tramp. Try going easier on the throttle, it will minimise it. I think its caused by uneven grip on the front wheels or something like that.

its totally normal, its just the sheer weight of the car bouncing off the tarmac, it was terrible when i first got the 172 but stuck yokos all round and cut wheel-spin by half.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Aw damn, mine only spins in first and second on 16s with toyos...but then again...I only make 114hp on the wheels so thats quite impressive me thinks ;)

320d M Sport

its all well saying its normal but when your mates are in the car and you floor it, it sounds sh*te!

Theyre like "What the FOOK is that noise"?!!

mine does the same, convinced its NOT to do with the engine mounts, its either traction control hammering your wheels or car bouncing a bit.

i went to do a few runs on a new stretch of car park at night, there were quite a few at it and i didnt want it to hammer my wheels just in case other people could hear it, so i turned of my ESP and it didnt do it. however i went easier on accereration that time so maybe its just lack of grip

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by dannyh172 on 27 November 2003

the knocking is normal!!!!! Its the traction control kicking in as ur wheels start to spin! :)
Not meaning to sound nasty but please check your facts before you make that statement.

A lot of mk2 172s dont have traction control, like mine, but still have the knocking noise. It has been disussed before and the common consensus was that it was either axle tramp, or a loose engine mount under the battery.

2012 WRX Waggon

Would modded suspension, or grippier tyres reduce/eliminate Axle tramp.

It bloody annoying, and knocks the bjesus out of the CD player.

PS - Mine does it with the ESP on or off.

mines going in for a service in December - Ill ask them to check the engine mounts.

Because i have the 172 exclusive as you know they have different alloy wheels, BBS infact and for some reason they came fitted with mitchelin piolets. these seem great compared to the sh*ty continentals that were on our phase 2 172. There is no wheelspin turn in is great traction is amazing defo recomend them.

Quote: Originally posted by Scribbler on 29 November 2003

Because i have the 172 exclusive as you know they have different alloy wheels, BBS infact and for some reason they came fitted with mitchelin piolets. these seem great compared to the sh*ty continentals that were on our phase 2 172. There is no wheelspin turn in is great traction is amazing defo recomend them.
I think all the mk1s used Michelin Pilots. Ive got them on my mk1. My wheels do spin though!

in these conditions maybe, my car has only done a few thousand miles aswell so they are like brand new! They do obviously spin up if you hammer it in first from stationary but as a comparison to the other brands i think they are good.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 29 November 2003

the knocking is normal!!!!! Its the traction control kicking in as ur wheels start to spin! :)
Not meaning to sound nasty but please check your facts before you make that statement.

A lot of mk2 172s dont have traction control, like mine, but still have the knocking noise. It has been disussed before and the common consensus was that it was either axle tramp, or a loose engine mount under the battery.
i thought every mk2 172(not cup though) had traction control.you dont have a separate button for it because it is combined with the esp system.turn off the esp you turn off the traction control at the same time.

Quote: Originally posted by Scribbler on 29 November 2003

in these conditions maybe, my car has only done a few thousand miles aswell so they are like brand new! They do obviously spin up if you hammer it in first from stationary but as a comparison to the other brands i think they are good.
Yeah, theyre not bad tires. Def. better than the Contis. And really really hard wearing too. About 30 1/4 mile runs and 9000 miles on this set, and still 4mm on the front.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by JAY172 on 29 November 2003

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 29 November 2003

i thought every mk2 172(not cup though) had traction control.you dont have a separate button for it because it is combined with the esp system.turn off the esp you turn off the traction control at the same time.
No, Traction control was only fitted to late mk2 ph2 172s.

There were some that came with traction but no button, then you got traction + the button. so it goes

No traction > traction but no switch > traction with switch.

I think it was summer last year that traction started becoming standard on mk2s then they introduced cruise control.