ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 vs GTi180....?

Monaco 172 (02)
Recently noticed 206 GTi180's are quite cheap, especially when compared to 172's etc. of the same age mileage?!

How do the 180's compare to 172's?

To be honest, I prefer the interior of the 180's, those seats look great!
But performance wise I dont think they are as quick, or handle as well as a 172...?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
there the exact same weight as a 172 (1100kg's) except the GTi has 180 bhp so making 166bhp/ton compared to the Phase 2's 155bhp/ton

The only real difference is the insurance group with the GTi being a 17

As for handling i couldnt comment, straight line speed will be indentical

Last edited:
  Black Ph2 172
Nowhere near as good a car and IMO interior way off (bar the seats) - these cars were introduced in 1998 and interior hasn't changed since!

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
My mate had one from new LOADS of trouble with it even had the gearbox changed under warranty VERY unreliable his was. VERY good seats thou . slighlty slower than 172 too worse on mpg if that matters too ya ;)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
My mate had one from new LOADS of trouble with it even had the gearbox changed under warranty VERY unreliable his was. VERY good seats thou . slighlty slower than 172 too worse on mpg if that matters too ya ;)

Same as most cars mate, this could be said for 172's aswell

R27, Deep Black
IMO the dash feels like rock hard sh*t.

I just think the car was quickly drawn up, built and sold so pug could get some sales under there belt.

Fiesta RS Turbo & Pug 206
ive raced a few 206 gti's and they are not that quick !

and yea the seats do look nice

Track 172cup
gti180's arent bad cars at all but i would rather have a 172 any day tbh, my car before my 182 was a 206 gti and the difference between that and a 180 isn't much (my gti was running 155bhp aswell)

if the gti180 didn't have the recaros would you honestly think much more of it over a normal 206 ? Saying that the seats are really nice but not worth buying a car over

Most gti180's actually run about 160-165bhp, the only ones i've seen make the 180 that they are supposed to is an RC (european model), but saying that the 172's are usually down a bit on power aswell

the 172 would just edge it in a straight line but around the twisties theres no question that the 172 would win hands down, the 206 feels vague in respects to driver feedback which is probably mostly down to the torsion bar on the rear, the clio feel much more lively

DB.

BMW 440i
As mentioned above, most 206 Gti 180s only run 165bhp.

Interiors are on another level to the Clios (Dash, Seats etc) I love my 180 seats! This is about the only thing imo that is much better than the clio.

They are a fair bit cheaper to insure for young drivers compared to the 172/182s. I want a change from a 206 which is why im looking to buy a 182 in the next 3 months. :)

Suspension with some Bilstein Shocks/Eibach Sportlines is similar to the 182s. (Speaking from experience ajd IMO)

MPG is worse, about 20-25mpg compared to a 182s 25-30mpg?

DB.

BMW 440i

TBH, Im on 206info and you dont hear of many suffering from unreliability.

There are some that have had cut out issues with different models, and the obvious coil packs going, but other than that, you dont hear many!

"Huge Tool" Cup
I've only ever had one run in with a GTI 180 and he was stuck to my bumper up to a good speed so they are quick cars. Can't comment on their handling but if you like the interior and they are fairly cheap then why not?

DB.

BMW 440i
Oh, The Exhausts are a problem, and very expensive to replace standardly (£1000ish) but most replace them with Janspeeds for around £350 (Better than the standard ones anyway)

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
LOL GTI 180s make 140-150 at Rstuning, the 172s make 160+

GTI 180s are terrible cars.

Trophy #490
Not a fan personally, the seats are horrible looking things! Given the choice between a 172 (phase 1 or 2) and a GTi 180 their's only ever going to be one winner.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
A 172 doesn't claim to be 180 though. It claims to be 172ps.

That's 168/9. More or less bang-on.

Like I said, optimistic at best. LOL

DB.

BMW 440i
Oh im not denying anything about the 172, id rather have a 172/182 myself lol

Just that they always seem to make around 165 on RRs, not 140ish

Clio 182 cup'd
Its abit of a stupid question to ask on a Clio Sport forum!

I looked into a GTi180 before I settled for my 182, I looked at various magazine reviews online and they all had similar opinions of the GTi, that it was alright, but just lacked the feel of the Clio, and had a gearbox made of poo

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
The comments about being down on power could be chanted about Clios aswell! Same with build quality!

No two cars are built the same!

Monaco 172 (02)
Its abit of a stupid question to ask on a Clio Sport forum!

I looked into a GTi180 before I settled for my 182, I looked at various magazine reviews online and they all had similar opinions of the GTi, that it was alright, but just lacked the feel of the Clio, and had a gearbox made of poo

I dont think its a stupid question. They are two very similar cars so many people who bought a 172 are likely to have considered/driven a GTi180.

Im probably on my own when I think they look better than the Clio, inside and out.
The performance/handling was more of what I thinking really. Mines knocking on 70,000miles now and I could probabably sell the 172 and pick up a GTi180 with 50,000 (ish) on it.

Just got me thinking.........
TBH though as the Clio does appear to be the better car especially from a driver point of view I'll prob be keeping the clio for quite some time. :D

R26
Im probably on my own when I think they look better than the Clio, inside and out.

Think I agree with you actaully. Having owned 2 Peugeot 206s in my time (1.1LX and 1.4 16V Quicksilver) and now having a 182 I've got to say the peugeot had a nicer interior. Looks wise is personal opinion but perhaps the 182 edges it for me, bit more subtle.

Performance wise, my friend is a major pug fan, been on 206info for ages. Having taken him out in my 182 and let him drive it for him to compare, he was fairly sure they were on equal terms. He's driven pleanty of 180s on the track and would be only too willing to slate the 182, thankfully he couldnt :D

Not driven the 180 but on passenger laps it certainly seemed quite capable!

BMW F21 125d
I had a choice between a 206 GTI 180 and a Ph2 172, I chose the 172, and have since moved onto a 182. I drove the GTi 180 a couple of times, and it was swift but not quick, the seats are awesome, but they dont make a car.

Looks nice but the elephants arse effect dashboard and c**k-in-a-bucket gearbox put me off somewhat.
Clio has its flaws aswell though, deckchair seating position, steering wheel dimensions taken from an offshore trawler anyone?!
At the end of the day they are both cheap french hot hatches.

ITB'd MK1
the 307 xsi is a MUCH better car than the 206. OK it's a bigger car, but it's reasonably quick, and the handling is great. The 206 is an aweful car in every guise

e91 330d/type r mini
LOL GTI 180s make 140-150 at Rstuning, the 172s make 160+

GTI 180s are terrible cars.
ive never seen one make that little power on rs tunings rrd and i worked there when they did a rolling rd day for the fair enough they dont make the claimed 180 but neither do most normally aspirated hot hatches

Ph1 172
I test drove a few GTI180's before I got the 172. The pug is more refined but its not a 'driver-on-the-edge" kind of drive like the Clio is.

Ive caned a few GTI180's since, in my MGF (145bhp)!!!

BG182®
GTi180's do not make 180bhp. They are more around 160-165. Ive been a rolling road meet at RS Tuning where they all made around 160bhp on Pauls rollers. Dont go by book figures for weight either they weigh more then a clio 172 do.
I use to own a GTi138 and the difference between the 180 and the 138 are about 2 car lenth to 100mph.

The EW10J4S engine is a tuned 138 lump meaning like the clio, to get gains cost big money. Also, trying to find companys that sell tuning parts for it is pretty rare as the is hardly anythink on the market for tuning the engine.

DB.

BMW 440i
^ Thats another thing i forgot to mention!

There are barely any tuning upgrades available without being a guinea pig or spending £0000's minimum!

Where as with the 172/182 you have cams easily available tried and tested etc.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Here's my reviews from when i back to back tested a 182 & gti 180 in Sept '05.

206 was very nice, but whilst the Aegean blue colour is gorgeous, I just couldn’t get on with the external looks or the hideous ‘leather’ parts of the interior - seats were excellent though! It pulled well with a smooth power curve, but little in the way of out and out excitement or any noticeable kick in the rev range (and yes it was warmed up), steering was nicely weighted, but felt quite detached and gave poor feedback comapred to my previous 306 Rallye.

Clio 182 ‘full-fat’ with both cup packs. I got in, turned the traction control off and pulled away …. it felt alive, excellent steering, with feedback bombarding you from all angles. Reminded of the first time I drove a 106 gti, just like a go-cart with the potential for much grinning and idiotic driving. Hit 5k rpm and it took off, spinning round to the redline before you realise its time to change gear. Awesome fun and just what I want, im losing the outright speed of my car, but the buzziness and handling ability more than make up for it . . and it’ll cost bugger all to buy & run (compared to my z3m). Brilliant, i then went and bought a 6 month old RB 182 ...

However, i have since driven a gti180 running bilsteins & 16's. It was a pretty good car tbh, certainly wouldnt be embarassed by a 1*2. Always been tempted by one - purely to prove the haters wrong.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I had a run with my mates gti180 in my ph1 172, through 1st, 2nd and 3rd the clio nipped it but 4th gear his car just caught up and got straight passed, no questions asked

The 206 only has a AAS Cat back system performance wise

IMO i would love his car, but its on coilovers, morettes, nice exhaust etc, nice seats

The only thing the 172 lacks over the gti 180 interior wise was more sportier seats to make you feel like your in something special

If it were a toss up between a standard car though the clio would win hands down each time