ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 to 182

172 phaseII
Is it worth trading my 172 in for a 54plate 182. that has the cup suspension pack, but I have the splitter and spoiler myself that can be put onto it. Has 10k on the clock.
My mate works at a garage and I can trade my car in for £5000 and get the 182 for £8100.

So is it worth the £3100 extra. Only advantage i can think of is the warrenty no need for mot etc!

172 phaseII
LOL! Hes telling me to do it. but its probably becaude he owns 1 himself!
Cheers sh33n need someone to put me of it. haha

C

Cupster

Buy some cup turinis and coilover suspension and keep the extra cash imo. Have the looks of a cup, all the toys of full fatness and cash in ya pocket = Winner!

or

if you really set on getting the 182 (only extra 10bhp, cruise and horrid rims,IMO), sell yours privately, should get more than 5k I should think?

I know I would do the first unless the 182 is yellow with sat nav that might tempt me to do the deal (Yum!)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not the same car, i went from an 02 172 to a 54plate 182 and the 182 is definately a better drive (std vs std) but i wouldnt say it was worth £3,100 to change. Get some coilovers on it and a different set of wheels/exhaust and couple of other mods and keep the change.

172 cup TT
He's talking about a 172 and not a 172 cup tho sheen.. I certainly wouldnt change my Cup for a 182...

VaVa
Never in a million years, imho. If it was a £1000 maybe.... but there rreally isn't that much difference. It handles a bit better, but the 182 I drove was slower than my 172.... despite having more miles on the clock!!!

In the end I made my mind up that I had got lucky and got a reasonobly quick 172 and I would be gutted ( and it's pot luck) if I ended up with a slow 182.

To add to that, I love my cars colour and prefer a few of the details in my 172 (seats, seatbelts, trim etc) over the 182.

TheJesus said:
i'd have thought the answer was obvious really, £3100 for 10bhp? sounds like a bargain to me :rolleyes: :clown:

Now now, That would be like saying a blue valver with different seats wheels and extra cc isnt worth the extra ;)

It's not quite as straight forward as "10bhp" there are other changes some mechanical and some cosmetic and IMO (having owned an 02 172 from new and now a 54 182 from new) is the 182 is the better car. Dont expect it to be noticably faster but it is a better drive. It's not worth over £3k extra though so like i say spend some of it on mods and then keep the rest and know you've done the right thing.

172 phaseII
I know there isnt much at all in it. when i drive with him in his 182 i leave him, hes behind me with a dash going off like a christmas tree! All that traction control stuff I couldnt cope! haha.

My mum wants my car and she said that shed give a me a nice deposit on a car at a later date, which would probably be best and keep it in the family!

C

Cupster

I don't like the way renault changed the seatbelts, interior details and the lighter grey front lights personally. I would like to spray my 172 cup liquid yellow and anthracite the turinis, that would be tidy.

A Grey Slab (Audi Estate)
I traded my Y reg 172 in for a brand spanking 182 (both full fat, although the 182 has both cup packs) and have to say that the 182 is a much better drive and car. If you look at it as £3k for 10 bhp it is never going to seem like a good idea, but there is alot more to it than that.

In my opinion 172 - 182 certianly is a good idea :)

Last edited:
  cock mobile.
Wait for the new RenaultSport to come out; if you change before then for another Clio it's all a bit pointless.

172 phaseII
Good idea about the new rs clio! Ill save the money definately, Just needed a little more persuasion.

Cheers

172 phaseII
Loony said:
Engine or front subframe out and you need to mod the pipe on the cat as the flange is positioned further back.

thanks loony, thought it wasnt straight foward!
But to do this I can just go get the manifold from a scrappie? Preety sure my mate could do tis for me.

What about a decat with the standard system, is this advisable?

Rich0404 said:
thanks loony, thought it wasnt straight foward!
But to do this I can just go get the manifold from a scrappie? Preety sure my mate could do tis for me.

What about a decat with the standard system, is this advisable?

Yup fair few 182s written off so im sure you can find a 2nd hand f@nnymould somewhere. Decat is a good way to free the engine up. wont always reap much power and sometimes depending on the bore might lose torque but the throttle response is alot better. Its not as noticeable on the 182 as the cat is better than the one on the 172 (less cells and better flowing IIRC)

Last edited:
  172 phaseII
Cupster said:
Buy some cup turinis and coilover suspension and keep the extra cash imo. Have the looks of a cup, all the toys of full fatness and cash in ya pocket = Winner!

or

if you really set on getting the 182 (only extra 10bhp, cruise and horrid rims,IMO), sell yours privately, should get more than 5k I should think?

I know I would do the first unless the 182 is yellow with sat nav that might tempt me to do the deal (Yum!)

Was planning to get the turinis, but 1 was badly damaged! :-(
Also I bought the car last April for £5000, so not losing anything!
Probably best in the long run is to do the first idea! turinis all the way!