ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Ticking noise, Inlet cam??

CLK 55
Hi all...
I've just picked up my first Ph2 172. I got it cheap thinking it was in need of a dephaser.

But once i got it home i noticed that the noise was far quieter nearer the dephaser than it was the flywheel side!
I'd say its deffinately coming from the inlet cam as its much louder at the front of the engine.

Having read all i can find without pulling out my hair, I just wanted to know if hydraulic lifters are getting a common thing to go on these now they're getting on a bit.

My car doesn't sound like a lot of the dephaser videos I've listened to. It is quiet when cold but when warm it does tick until the throttle is blipped id say that anything over tickover will take away the ticking noise and holding it at 1000rpm - 1100rpm its quiet.

My initial thoughts are lifters and maybe a failing oil pump, the latter causing similar faults on previous cars ive done in the past ( noisy lifters at low revs, due to low oil pressure at low revs)

Any advice is welcome

And im going to whip off the cam cover to see if the cam has worn and if its been wel serviced. And belt covers to see if i can hear/see anything louder/better

Cheers

Dave

53 Clio's & counting
Go carefull as the rocker cover is the top half of the cam carrier.

Record a video and stick it up mate

welcome btw!