ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Sump Guard

Sunflower Ph1 172
Done a little searching and I can see this has been raised a couple of times in the past few years, but none seemed to answer my question. From what I can grasp there is the option for a RenaultSport sump guard, but it's pricey. Also that OMP do one, but the link I found was dead.

I was wondering whether anyone had considered having one made up by a fabricator, and what sort of thickness steel would be needed?

The reason I ask is that some of you will know I recently sumped the Sunflower in Ireland. I'll be having the engine completely rebuilt in a couple of months (although it runs ok at the moment), but I'd like to be able to safeguard against the same issue in future.

Sunflower Ph1 172

Cheers for the link. That is extremely expensive for a piece of metal. Sure I could get something made up for a fraction of the price.

Suppose a good question to ask is if anyone has a diagram of the 172 subframe, or an idea of potentially where a sump guard could be bolted into place. Somewhere easily removable for oil changes.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
I'd go direct to omp mate, balls to buying anything from demon tweaks after they add there commission on top bloody rip off that place for most items.

Sunflower Ph1 172
I'd go direct to omp mate, balls to buying anything from demon tweaks after they add there commission on top bloody rip off that place for most items.

OMP doesn't offer any prices, YB Racing is a still a rediculous price. I'm not paying that much for a piece of metal plate with some holes drilled in it. I'm sure there is a much more cost effective way of doing it.

172 Phase 1 & 172 Ph
If someone can get a drawing or a picture, my dad could probably fab one up no probs as he works as a fabricator. That price is rediculous!

Sunflower Ph1 172
Just pop down to a local fabricators, see what they can do?

You could use the undertray bolt holes I guess. and even use the undertray as a template.

This makes sense. Would just need a template to go off, and have someone cut the metal. although would need a couple of bends.

If someone can get a drawing or a picture, my dad could probably fab one up no probs as he works as a fabricator. That price is rediculous!

Sure there is some CAD master out there that feels like taking up the task. I'm sure they wouldn't cost much to fabricate.

I have a home made on fitted , uses 2mm steel plate and an angle sextion across the front , the rear is bolted to the sub frame using the mount points the under shields was fitted to, The car is a road rally car and it has taken some big hits with no problems, was an easy job took us two hours to make and fit.

172 cup
Looks easy to make give me a drawing i will knock one up. I would be tempted to use a 6mm alu for it keeping it light i have made a few before there is not that much to them.

ITB'd MK1
Good luck getting one made from appropriate material for significantly less. Last time I bought the aero grade ali you'd want for that it was around £100/sq m.

Makes the OMP one look like a quite reasonable price IMO

Sunflower Ph1 172
Wouldn't need to be Aero grade, just some 3-4mm steel. It's not a race car, so weight isn't a massive worry, plus it wouldn't weigh all that much anyway.

Sunflower Ph1 172
yeah but think of the rust. Also is there really a need for it if you are not off road?

Lows, and bad roads. I sumped it in Ireland thanks to a small hump back bridge.

...and powerdercoat/paint or just use stainless.

Sunflower Ph1 172
I think you underestimate how much steel really would weight.

not enough to make me pay £100 for a piece of aero grade aluminium. f0xy is going to knock something up for me when the car is back in the country with some spere steel, we'll see how much it weighs then.

RS RIP
I'd pay a 100 for a prooven one, no doubt. That's very acceptable money.

A steel one will throw another 10kg's++ on your already front-end heavy car and increase your back-end happy-ness

Clio 172 ph2 + 990SM
I'd be interested a sump guard, always hitting mine on speed bumps - got a crack/hole for the second time!

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Just wondering has anybody seen someone to make these for a rough price?

Might pop into my local fabricator's and see what they say.
4mm thick ally i was thinking is this ok?.

182cup & 172 racecar
Just an update to this.

Just picked mine up today from my local dealer, looks spot on, and just what I need.

Part # has changed to 8200208420 protector bin 11020

Only took 4 days to arrive, so not too bad really seeming that Renault don't know that they do one.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Just an update to this.

Just picked mine up today from my local dealer, looks spot on, and just what I need.

Part # has changed to 8200208420 protector bin 11020

Only took 4 days to arrive, so not too bad really seeming that Renault don't know that they do one.

This one?
attachment.jpg

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Ive got a 10mm thick alloy one for my car that my mate made. Its still a bit heavy but I have given it a proper beating and still hardly marked it.
Its got 4 metal threaded blocks welded onto the subframe that it bolts onto and spaces it down a bit.
Cost £30 for the materials.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
That one in the pic above would be rammed through my sump on the first rough 'white' on a road rally, not to mention the mud and crap going through the holes.

As was mentioned on the first page, I too made my own. Made a couple of bits of 1" box section to fit across the undertray mount holes at the front and rear, then got a mate to cut and bend a sheet of 3mm sheet steel, which was welded on under the box. Cost me £20, and survived an awful lot of bashing on road rallies.

Yes its a bit heavy, but it does the job very well, and didn't affect the handling.

182cup & 172 racecar
No, they come in black Mark.

You boys that say it's no good, I'm not rallying, it's just to help protect the car on the circuit, been in a gravel trap once and it jammed the gear linkage as it's down the bottom of the box.

We run with the plastic one on at the moment, but the metal one has a few ventilation holes which helps with cooling.
This is not any good for rallying.

Clio172cup rally car
Pure motorsport are now making sump guards just to let you know? he's made one for my car and will be soon doing a a few more to sell, they are 6mm ally I think and also using the standard mounting points, when it arrives I'll get some pictures up

pure-motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio 172
Good luck getting one made from appropriate material for significantly less. Last time I bought the aero grade ali you'd want for that it was around £100/sq m.

Makes the OMP one look like a quite reasonable price IMO

I'm with you on that Danny, I couldn't believe how much the material costs were, then there's the water jet cutting, the folding, the countersinking of bolt holes and welding of spacers and a drop down section to allow for the gear linkage.

Cup In bits
I'm with you on that Danny, I couldn't believe how much the material costs were, then there's the water jet cutting, the folding, the countersinking of bolt holes and welding of spacers and a drop down section to allow for the gear linkage.

First refusal please and on your super dooper wishbones when they come