ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 starting issue - intermittent start and now no start

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Had a problem for a couple of weeks, identical to this thread

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...arting-issue-Help-or-advice-much-appreciated-)

I put the key in, turn the key, but the immobiliser light flashes. It does this a few times and then eventually starts.

However, today I went to leave my girlfriend's house, only 20 mins after getting there, so the car started fine half hour previously. But this time the light didn't flash, but the car wouldn't start at all after turning over. I instantly thought of trying the second key, but it still won't start.

I've spoken to my mate Elliot (Clio-Ell on here) who works at Renault and he advised it could be the key (doubtful now I've tried both), the ring or the uch. I trust his diagnosis completely, but I was wondering if anyone else had any different ideas, or could confirm that this could be the issue?

Thanks

RS197
Hi Cafcross,

This is such an irritating issue, makes you wonder when you will be left stranded when it decides to stop all together. If I find out what it is and how to sort it i'll be straight in touch with you and if you could do the same would be great. I've only had the car since Sat lol not having much luck recently, seems to just happen at random, hasn't happened since I posted on here but I haven't really used the car that often in fear of it just giving up, but when I have i used the spare key. I have read that these UCH things cost a bomb so praying it isn't that, surely if something is broke it would just stop all together though, that was my thinking but unlike the car I am not french.

Hope 1 of us manages to get it sorted hey,

Cheers Jordan

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Most likely going to be the UCH but really needs some basic conformity and CLIP checks carrying out first.

Gonna be looking at a bill of £280-320 to supply, fit and code/config a new unit.

Mick

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Most likely going to be the UCH but really needs some basic conformity and CLIP checks carrying out first.

Gonna be looking at a bill of £280-320 to supply, fit and code/config a new unit.

Mick
That's a lot more comforting tbh, cheers Mick. As long as it was under £500 I was happy (or as happy as I could be), but I guess I won't know until I get it into Renault.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
My car went into Renault today to have the issue looked at. It was towed for approx 10 mins to get there, and in this time the key was in the ignition and turned all the way round so I could use my steering. Upon arrival at Renault I tried to show Elliott what it was doing, and lo and behold the car started! We diagnosed this as the fact that the key had been in the ignition for so long so it may have 'recognised' it.

CLIP was used upon the car and no faults were found that related to an ignition issue. They then checked the fuses and relays and cleaned some oxidization off of the ignition relays. They said this could have built up in the damp weather.

The car starts perfectly now. I'm touching wood in case it doesn't start later tonight. I was given a tip in case it happens again, to hold the button down on the key in the ignition whilst its on the furthest rotation before starting the car.

So, my day has been made better by this!