ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Standard sounding exhaust - stainless steel

Ph1 172.
Hi,

is there anywhere out there that sell a stainless steel exhaust that sounds and looks like the standard exhaust? I've had a search on here and online, but all i can find are mild steel exhausts. I wouldn't even be too bothered if it was mild steel, but not at Renaults prices!

Thanks

172 Cup
BTB Ninja, very nice but expensive.

You are probably better off getting a custom 2 1/4" system if you want it quiet, i changed my centre section from 2.5 to 2.25" and it quietened it down a lot. I find 2.5" a little droney on the motorway, but i'm getting old.

clio 172 cup
Hi Snails, i have a ktec racing stealth cat back exhaust fitted on my 172 cup. Its stainless steel and sounds near standard, it also fits behind the bumper just as the standard one does. I bought the car with a yozza fitted, but for everyday use found this far too loud, so fitted the stealth instead. I hope this helps.

Ph1 172.
Darklite did a drop in pipe diameter from 2.5" to 2.25" make that much difference? I have emailed a local firm for a quote on a cat-back system. I think I'm getting old too!

I have a K-Tec Stealth at present and i find it too droney at about 60 mph, especially on long journeys. I hoping there is something out there that doesn't break the bank and isn't too loud or droney (for me at least) when driven at motorway speeds.

172 Cup
I had a BTB stealth 2.5" system, i found it too loud.

I then went to prospeed and had a sports cat/ 2.5" system with a large backbox to keep the noise down, I found this too loud, so charlie fitted a chamber into the backbox, this helped a little.

I then had the 2.5" centre silencer removed and a 2.25" silencer fitted, it is now only a little loud at 78-80mph, then it goes nearly silent, below this, it is really nice.

If i was doing it again, i would have the whole system in 2.25". The sports cat made a big difference to the responsiveness.

I felt no difference with the standard cat and btb system, just made my head hurt and made me feel tired of driving.

Charlie said he wouldn't give up until i was happy with his system, he covered the costs of the mods.

172 Cup
After i sold the btb, i had the renault system refitted temporarily. It may be restrictive; but it is a pleasure to drive a quiet car if it is a daily.

If i didn't have cams,i would have stuck with the standard system and bought a second hand one when it fell off.

You may be better off trying the standard system with a decat/sports cat first. Mine came off a v8 maserati.

I think gaz kev did this, and i believe he was happy with it.

Ph1 172.
Cheers for the advice, I will look into how much a 2.25" system will be and how much it would be for just the centre section to me made up. Failing that I'll try and pick up a standard exhaust and replace it when it falls off.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Cheers for the advice, I will look into how much a 2.25" system will be and how much it would be for just the centre section to me made up. Failing that I'll try and pick up a standard exhaust and replace it when it falls off.

Standard ones will fail...and oem wont be much better. I would use Charlie @ Prospeed as he can do a quiet hum exhaust which shouldnt be much different in terms of sound to the standard.

Go on the website and click on 'sounds' and you can hear the 3 different noises if that helps :)