ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 reliability

Z4
Now, I've already done one thead to see if i should get a 172, but the only thing that worried me was reliability, everything else about the car is sound.
If I got one (phase 1), will I be dissapointed from the reliability? do things always go wrong? and is there any way of avoiding getting a dud?! cheers in advance, my heart wants one so bad, but my brain is telling it to wait!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I don't know about the earlier cars, but my 172 which I bought from new did 40K trouble free miles, most of which it was pushed hard. All it had was the regular servicing.

I had a 172 that i did 27k in with no problems and now on a 182 that i've done almost the same in and again no problems. You'll find if you suffer anything it will be rattles/creaks rather than major mechanical problems tbh.

Z4
So trick is to find one with a fsh, and fingers crossed it should be a goodun'? I only do about 10k miles a year anyway, and with the new job i should be getting I'll have a van so I'll probably be using the clio for only about 6k a year. I figured that french cars usually have poor electrics, but the phase 1 doesn't have toooo many electrics anyway so can't be that bad?

clio 197 cup
reliability on these clios is normally pretty good. just follow the
normal service stuff (good oil, filter change,etc) and you shouldnt have
any probs. some of the squeaks will probably annoy tho. but they call that
character!

They dont seem to suffer from electrical problems on the whole tbh. Phase one has less toys on it that the phase two yes. As for crossing fingers I'd say coming from a rover k series you will be uncrossing them getting into a 172 ;)

Z4
They dont seem to suffer from electrical problems on the whole tbh. Phase one has less toys on it that the phase two yes. As for crossing fingers I'd say coming from a rover k series you will be uncrossing them getting into a 172 ;)

lol you're right there, that worry is always your head(gasket) when owning a k series. But it's served me very very well making it a fantastic first car, its spanked the arse off many lower powered clios so shut up :D

SLK32///AMG & 330ci sport
they don't count when they are parked up you know ;) only joking :D

they are pretty reliable cars, i have owned just about every sporty little renault over the years including an 11 turbo back in the day and i have to say they have come on light years with the 172/182, just a shame they continue to use the plastic from old biscuit packets to make the dash.

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
my old 51 plate 172 did not miss a beat in 55k of had driving.D'ont get me wrong it was also very well looked after too just be picky and get a fsh car thats at the top of your budget. i would also go private no stealers. there are a lot of well cared for 172s out there

Focus ST3 + proper Mini
only major problems I've had in my time as a 172 owner were alternator packed up after 2 years, rear shocks went at 20k miles and the alarm packed up when it was brand spanking new.

Other problems but not major was the washer bottle cracking twice, headlight washers x4 and rear box fell off the exhaust.

all my other problems were down to the shody workmanship at my local renault dealer. (reputured air con to mention just one).

Car as a whole though was a very good car. if you find a good one you'll love it!!

Z4
only major problems I've had in my time as a 172 owner were alternator packed up after 2 years, rear shocks went at 20k miles and the alarm packed up when it was brand spanking new.

Other problems but not major was the washer bottle cracking twice, headlight washers x4 and rear box fell off the exhaust.

all my other problems were down to the shody workmanship at my local renault dealer. (reputured air con to mention just one).

Car as a whole though was a very good car. if you find a good one you'll love it!!

looks like you were unlucky then?!
are the rear shocks going quite common? Think I've heard this somewhere before, allthough I might put some coilovers on there anyway so shouldn't really matter. I see you're from Norfolk too :approve:

Focus ST3 + proper Mini
Yeah I'm from between Norwich and Kings Lynn. My car was brand new from Swan Street. (now West) either way I wouldnt use them ever again. The shocks do seem to be a common problem.

My mk1 172 rear shocks went at 20k miles too!! For good service I would use East Bilney or Reliance in Norwich.

I'm now a proud owner of a seat leon FR after the service renault gave me.

Z4
Yeah I'm from between Norwich and Kings Lynn. My car was brand new from Swan Street. (now West) either way I wouldnt use them ever again. The shocks do seem to be a common problem.

My mk1 172 rear shocks went at 20k miles too!! For good service I would use East Bilney or Reliance in Norwich.

I'm now a proud owner of a seat leon FR after the service renault gave me.

I'm from norwich :) I must admit the leon cupra is on the list of possible cars too, along with (saving even more now) an e46 bmw 323/328. Well I'll be buying privately anyway so not fussed about garages

I wouldn't use Reliance for servicing.,or if I did then i'd request that only Paul Softly gets to work on the car, had sooo many problems there with my girlf's old Dynamique.

As for 172 reliability, I owned mine for about 8 months, and it had about 130k on the clock when I sold it. I never had any real problems with it in that time, and the only previous things that it had had done were new tappets/lifters at around 70k, and new gearbox at 110k. It never had an easy life either, especially when I had it, but I think that good history is the key to an easy life with any Renault