ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 phase 1 What Alt Belt?

R5 GTT
Hi,

I am after yet more advice with regards to the 172, I have removed the A/c and the power steering so am left with just the Alt, Water pump and crank giving me alot shorter belt run. Now has anybody else done this and what belt have you used?

Cheers James

Lots of Alfas
You want to route it like this, you can get the belt from Renault. I think the part number for the belt is 7700114730. Any problems with the part # let me know.

238courroiealternateurpf5.jpg

R5 GTT
Perfect what Renault car is the belt off ?

IS the zinc bracket to the alternator standard?? whats the part number for that?

You want to route it like this, you can get the belt from Renault. I think the part number for the belt is 7700114730. Any problems with the part # let me know.

238courroiealternateurpf5.jpg

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Thats the bad boy i need to then :D

Gotta get the air con off mine at some point too, any one got the part no. for the Cup bracket as i'm still keeping the power steering so basically a cup "set-up" right?

R5 GTT
6pk850 ???? ?? where from

Oh and as James says please can we have the cup bracket part number
Cheers James

340i
Do you also need a cup alternator, or just the bracket its self?

Also do you need any other parts to retain PAS.. I have heard rumours that the cup PAS pump and lines are different? :s

LY 182
you need the alternator too if going cup setup,
i struggled getting a 6pk 850 im running a 5pk850 and its fine

that pictured is not a cup setup thats from a volvo if i remember correct cup setup is all cast ali

LY 182
the pas pump is the same for the cup

high pressure line is different and VERY expensive

low pressure can be modded to fit

pumps in a different place on the cup

ITB'd MK1
Do you also need a cup alternator, or just the bracket its self?

Also do you need any other parts to retain PAS.. I have heard rumours that the cup PAS pump and lines are different? :s

cup alternator, brackets, adjuster and one PAS line need to be changed (the other line can just be re-routed a little differently

340i
ahhhh... this doesn't sound too bad then!

I had images of changing all the PAS lines/pump just to ditch the air-con, I imagine the new PAS line could be purchased from Renault at some silly price?

Just need the find somebody breaking a cup :evil:

ITB'd MK1
normally have a new line made with the old ends re-swaged on. PAS fittings are nigh on impossible to buy, and new is very expensive from renault

340i
I am 50/50 whether or not just to fit a DCI (manual) steering rack and go all out hardcore.. But for the foreseeable future the car is still going to be my daily ride!!

Back to the old days of manual steering, ill have to get the arms pumped up again LOL

LY 182
its not much heavier when setup properly

infact id go as far as to say its no heavyer when you are driving.. just feels more weighted/in proportion to the cars size if that makes any sence

parking is anoying but its ok if you plan ahead and steer whilst moving

340i
hmm.. this is sounding more and more promising!

What do you mean by "set-up properly" ditz? (or am I just being dense here?!)

LY 182
you can play with the toe settings and it alters steering feel alot, i took mine to be lazer tracked (i can only adjust front toe myself wanted camber done)
and was explaining what had been done to the car and he set it up to suit.. i think he set it to toe in a bit more than standard.. its night and day lighter to steer now than when i set it myself at 0

340i
Sounds brilliant dude... I've just fitted coilovers, so will have one immense set-up done after everything else is fitted!

Found out the other day I have a cup racer team 10minutes away from my house, rang the guys up and they agreed to set the car up for me!

Cheers for the info

ITB'd MK1
I am 50/50 whether or not just to fit a DCI (manual) steering rack and go all out hardcore.. But for the foreseeable future the car is still going to be my daily ride!!

Back to the old days of manual steering, ill have to get the arms pumped up again LOL

tried to talk Andy into a manual rack for the Demo car but he like the PAS too much. Though to be honest our car is the only clio I've driven that didn't feel really over assisted. We run very slight toe out (20mins) and more camber than you would on a daily driver (can't state a figure as we change it loads lol)

340i
tried to talk Andy into a manual rack for the Demo car but he like the PAS too much. Though to be honest our car is the only clio I've driven that didn't feel really over assisted. We run very slight toe out (20mins) and more camber than you would on a daily driver (can't state a figure as we change it loads lol)

No PAS = More BHP ;)

Lots of Alfas
The one in the pic i posted isnt from a 480. Id like to find out too what its from. I researched the subject when i was going to turn my car into a trackday car and cannot even remember where I got that pic. As above the one from the 480 turbo will do, it looks similar to the one in my pic. Ive got a pic of the 480 mount somewhere....

You can still leave the pas pump in as dead weight as the way the shorter belt runs completly bypasses it and doesnt foul it at all

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
For the GTX bracket - 7700718613 £20+ VAT from Renault

So guys if i buy the above part i will need to remove the power steering too then, how much work is involved in doing the change over for the DCI rack & more importantly, how much weight is saved?

James

340i
So guys if i buy the above part i will need to remove the power steering too then, how much work is involved in doing the change over for the DCI rack & more importantly, how much weight is saved?

James

It is a decent weight saver... I estimate around 10 - 15kg if you completely remove all the aircon crap!
And even better as your removing weight of the front axle :D

Lots of Alfas
You also gain a bit in bhp and responsiveness as the engine doesnt have to turn the air con compressor, pas pump, aux tensioner and idler.

ClioSport 172 Cup
Did some investigating. Halfords can get the belt!
The PK6850 is off the 92-94 Renault Trafic 1.7, cost me £9.50.

Sam

172DD Cup
i know it's old, but in case anyone is reading, you need a 5pk belt for this. a 6pk will rub on the cambelt cover. i used a 5pk830 i think. tight fit, but i imagine anything between an 835-850 will work

172, Tiguan
Ta. I'm trying to decide whether to ditch the PAS on my MK1 and this thread answered most questions I had. Did about 2 hrs worth of searching!

172DD Cup
i ditched it but put it back in. didn't fancy it for a daily driver, i found it as difficult as steering with broken power steering. probably a good mod for a track car or weekend toy.

F4r'd Clio 1.2 16V
Sorry to open up this old thread but what volvo does that bracket come off been looking for ages and can't find if anyone could give me the exact car would be great :) many thanks