ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 performance mods

Ok, youve got two options, either weight loss or and increase in power output....

Weight loss, on a 172 you can lose about 40kgs by taking out the back seats, spare wheel and toolkit, and maybe lose another 25-30 or so by swaping the front seats for buckets.....

Power gains..... exhaust/filter or viper/chip is the easiest combo, should get you to around the 180-185bhp mark, over that you can look at manifolds, headwork, cams, larger single throttle body, or full on individual throttle bodies and dedicated ecu or Turbo/Supercharger route - lots and lots to do....

The choice is yours :)

or you could just get a cup as aparantly they are much much better than 172s and are stripped out race cars the lot and the colour gives it extra power too but they do require special cup optimax and special cup air in the tyres not to mention the extra special cup water and detergant in the washer bottle

dont know why anyone would choose a 172 tbh :D

thanks roamer,

much appreciated.

i was wondering on getting the car "chipped" initially but havent heard any "experiences" from other people who chipped their cars .

Mine was chipped for a long while, and I was really happy with it, I had an aftermarket exhaust and a pipercross viper which was plumbed in to get a lovely nice shot of cold air from the bottom grill, and custom superchips map did it proud, it got to about 184bhp on the rollers and was noticably quicker to me, nicer smoother power delivery too....

But now all thats gone and half the engine has too lol

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 20 January 2004

or you could just get a cup as aparantly they are much much better than 172s and are stripped out race cars the lot and the colour gives it extra power too but they do require special cup optimax and special cup air in the tyres not to mention the extra special cup water and detergant in the washer bottle

dont know why anyone would choose a 172 tbh :D
Dont make me give you a slap... ;)

Roamer how much did it cost for the custom map by superchips? i kno its around £300 + VAT for the their standard superchips.

Hmmm I think my deal was around £350 ish? had a few remaps to get the fueling/timing etc spot on, Contact Dave and London Superchips (Uxbridge) - thats where I got mine done at and all the guys down there are a great laugh - and you get to see all the cars gettin run up and tuned at Power Engineering (London Superchips are part of Power Eng)

Nice1 m8, i have been emailing/harassing some guy at superchips via email with 101 questions. Seems like a good option, a tuning guy nearby is quoting £750 for a standalone Emerald ECU including pin wiring, supply of chip along with a map, bugger that i say!

I live in Northern Ireland so London is a bit far ;). There are a few suppliers over here i believe.

A mate was saying that they arent fully mappable tho! He was saying they dont have any 3D control of the fuel map, just manly raises the rev limiter and some fuel pressure variations... Guess it all depends on what engine ur running and how tuned it is!