ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 or 182?

Ford Puma 1.7
Not entirely sure if this is one of those 'don't open a can of worms' threads, but I was wondering, what are the differences between the 172 and 182 cups?
I've heard that there are 2 cup packs on the 182(?) in which case I'm lost.
I'm looking at spending between 3.5k-4.5k, for which it seems I could get a nice example of either (sub 60k miles and good nick all round)
The only cosmetic thing I can see is the tailpipe design, and I prefer the 182's twin pipes :)
But is there anything I should know before spending all my hard-saved cash on a car that's not as good as the other?

RenaultSport 172
IMO Get the best example you can for your money, 172-182 literally no difference between them!

Don't forget to look at the Ph1 172s good value for money!!

320d
For £4k you should be able to get a nice 182. Judging by what you've written you'd probably find a ph1 172 too old, despite imo it being the pick of the 1*2's bar the trophy.

Reasons i'd go for a 182 over a ph2 172 is the looks (ph2 172's look like a 1.2 when on standard wheels), all 182's have cruise control, slightly more powerful (although on the road there is negligible difference) and there are better aftermarket exhaust choices.

320d
172 cup!! uber low servicing costs compaired to other clio's

Thats not strictly true. The only thing thats cheaper is the cam/aux belt change because of the AC however you can get cups with AC too so servicing is no different on them. Other than that servicing costs are exactly the same for cup models. The idea is really to buy a car with the belts already done anyway to save on the cost of doing it yourself, or get it factored into the price.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
182's are the fools choice these days. The 172 came in better colours, the exhaust is cheaper when it falls off, you get a spare wheel. And there are more options in terms of coilovers compared to 182 with cup packs. And a ph2 172 is cheaper for a car that looks nigh on identical. And has the same interior/spec.

Stripped yozza'd cup
172 cup, less gadgets = lighter = slightly faster

182 cup, not really a whole lot different to a 182ff, little lighter and has the cup suspension, spoiler and splitter and anthracite wheels.

Buy a 172 cup, you'll get a great example for the money.

Last edited:
  rb182 cup
hiya tom...if u want the gadgets,air-con,cruise etc then go for the 182. if you dont care bout that,then go for the 172 cup cos they are lighter & just as much fun to drive

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
hiya tom...if u want the gadgets,air-con,cruise etc then go for the 182. if you dont care bout that,then go for the 172 cup cos they are lighter & just as much fun to drive

You get those 'gadgets' in a late 172?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
For some reason i have a thing for Inferno 182 Cups at the mo!

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Before you decide think about how you are going to drive it. I do a 30 mile commute each way in the Trophy and miss the comfort of my old 172FF.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Inferno FTW.

Don't get a 182 cup

Get a 182 with cup packs.

120d M Sport
182's are the fools choice these days. The 172 came in better colours, the exhaust is cheaper when it falls off, you get a spare wheel. And there are more options in terms of coilovers compared to 182 with cup packs. And a ph2 172 is cheaper for a car that looks nigh on identical. And has the same interior/spec.

Totally agree with you, for once!

Never understood the 'pup of the range' comments about the PH2 172.

Ford Puma 1.7
The only thing I'd be interested in is air con. Having said that, my last few cars have had no air con, so I won't miss it if it's there.
I'm not massively fussed about cosmetics. The thing I want is the best car, be it 172 or 182. Must be a cup, though.
The exhaust is a draw, but isn't essential. I prefer the 182's, but so long as it's not like a dustbin on the 172, again, not fussed.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Stupid noob question- what's a trophy?

182 with fancy Sach dampners, Recaros.

5310358546_8bdae2fc7a_z.jpg

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
If a Trophy's an option, go for it imo. But a coilovered 172 is more fun.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Coilovered 172 or 172 cup?
They'll drive the same, but the 172 will have xenons and climate. Cup with climate is pointless, you lose a big chunk of the weight saving. Also you lose ABS, which I'd always prefer to have on a road car.

Ford Puma 1.7
So apart from losing the air con on most cups, what's the difference?
Sorry for all these proper newbie questions, but I am, i suppose :/

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
172: Climate, xenons, auto lights/wipers, heat reflective windscreen, alcantara interior (seats and trim). Later 172's also have cruise control with integrated speed limiter.
172cup: gets none of the above, boggo cloth seats. Also dumps ABS.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Doesn't the Cup have a different suspension set up?
Yeah, forgot to add that! Stiffer setup iirc, wider track (but the track is purely through the different offset of the wheels). Obviously if going for coilovers, the suspension is not an issue.

Ford Puma 1.7
Would the wider track make a massive difference if i was to coilover it anyway, or would i be better going for the wider one? Or just spacing the wheels?
There's a chance I'll be doing some track days (only a few to begin with...)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Would the wider track make a massive difference if i was to coilover it anyway, or would i be better going for the wider one? Or just spacing the wheels?
There's a chance I'll be doing some track days (only a few to begin with...)
Just buy some Turini's, or wheel's with the same offset and you'll get the same track (iirc).

rb182 cup
lovin the trophy! like the way the reg plate sits in the recess....was gonna do the same to mine but i heard they are illegal.

1 thing that bugs me on the trophy...why didnt renault paint the washer blanks red & not leave them black?

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
I think that washer blanks look fine in black, not really a fan of all the colour coding!