ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 or 182

Yozz'd up 182
Right ive set my sights on a sport after FCS, getting myself a job and aiming to get one around Febuary 2010 when next NCB comes on.

Question is what to get from what ive been quoted 182 insurance is about 300 more but the cars are alot more.

Question is, is there a big differece between the 172 and 182 or would it be best to start with a 172 and eventually once abit more money and used to the power, go to a 182, LY is the dream, one day haha.

2016 Audi RS3
Why don't you start with a ph1 172, 172 Cups are cheap now as well and cheaper to run than a 182.

Yozz'd up 182
not so keen on the ph1's but they are growing on me. mileage is usually a put of though. also dont think id want to go straight to a cup from mine. no ABS?

None
Hi mate
I had that choice too when i started looking, luckily for me a perfect 182 came up and the choice was made for me, i have to say i'm glad i got the 182 and mine's the full fat so i got the best of everything, all i would say to you is that if you believe you will eventually want the 182 then get it to start with if you can afford it, you don't want to get the 172 and then wish you had got the 182 to start with :)

2016 Audi RS3
not so keen on the ph1's but they are growing on me. mileage is usually a put of though. also dont think id want to go straight to a cup from mine. no ABS?

Yeah it will force you to learn to drive lol..

Yozz'd up 182
Yeah my parents used to own one when they came out but i couldnt drive. I love the sunburst ones il admit that but i dont know i think maybe a little to old. Is there a big difference in feel from a 172 ph2 and a 182?

Yozz'd up 182
Also have anyone gone from a 1.4 to a sport. is the jump big? i had a go in my mums new tdiq tt and i couldnt belive how it just pulled but i cant imagine the jump to be that big.

172 Cups are cheap now as well and cheaper to run than a 182.

How dyou work that out? Older car with higher miles = more bits worn out and/or breaking to replace.

Add to the fact some insurers s**t the bed when they hear 172 & cup in the same sentence as a result of so many wanabe rally drivers binning them every winter and blaming the lack of ABS :rolleyes: and it'll be dearer to run.

Yozz'd up 182
this question may help... do i buy a ph2 clio sport or do i buy a clio sport ph2 ?

Pardon? sorry im im being dumb but i dont understand that at all haha

Also have to say love your car! love the colour ;)

Italian 3.2 V6
lol 172/182 ... there basicly the same apart from the name.. LOL.. 172 r cheaper and slighty older with more miles but thats it to be realistic...

but as said go for the best u can for your budget.. (year/ milage condition etc)

get a trophy if u can afford one.. will keep there value well compared to others.

oh and thanks ;) Flame Red FTFW :D

Clio Sport 172
bought a 6 month old 54 plate 182 which i loved,sold that because i had to buy a house,setled into my house then bought a 02 plate 172..i just love these cars..i thought it would be a diference jumping into the 172 after owning a 182 but they felt and drove exactly the same, only diference is the 182 had cruise control, not on my 172. They are a fast and powerful and fun car to own/drive... I would go for the 182 if your budget wil alow you, just for the look with the twin exhausts...

2016 Audi RS3
Lighter so better fuel economy, poverty spec lights, simplified belt run means cheaper timing belt renewal and easier/cheaper general maintanance, less elaborate exhaust system, less electrical systems and simpler drivetrain (ABS/traction etc).

Also, lower value than a 182 which should reflect favourably on the insurance quotes.

Yozz'd up 182
Ahh thats for that. I think if i had any choice it would go LY/RB 182 then Flame 172 and for the sake of around 1000 if not more id be swayed to the 172. Also as after my year out next year for an art foundation il be heading ofto uni so i think maybe i could get 182 if im desperate then but only if the right colour comes up.

Lighter so better fuel economy, poverty spec lights, simplified belt run means cheaper timing belt renewal and easier/cheaper general maintanance, less elaborate exhaust system, less electrical systems and simpler drivetrain (ABS/traction etc).

Also, lower value than a 182 which should reflect favourably on the insurance quotes.

Out of that list the only part I'm inclined to agree with is the belt change on cup without A/C costs.

Weight difference is minimal so fuel costs will be dictated more by driving style/use. If you're comparing FF172/182 same lamps(xenons have been on mine 4.5 years and I'm yet to put a bulb in it my brothers 1.2 on the other hand has had countless halogens replaced in the same time. SS exhausts are very similar prices on a 172/182. Again the ABS comment only comes into play with the 172CUP and traction only adds early Phase2's or Phase 1's to the list. Splitting hairs really when milage/age and condition are going to play a far greater part. Oh and with Renault if it was built on a Friday afternoon.

172 Cup
Will be a HUGE jump! I'd try find a low mile 172. The 172 cup will be a big hand full for someone not use to a powerful car.

Yozz'd up 182
Thats what i was thinking badger i mean itl be my second year having my full licence, il be 19 by then just so i was thinking i dont want to jump in over my head and end up doing something stupid. i will hand it to myself i am a safeish driver haha. Rather go slow give people time to look ;)

immaculate clio 172
lol 172/182 ... there basicly the same apart from the name.. LOL.. 172 r cheaper and slighty older with more miles but thats it to be realistic...

but as said go for the best u can for your budget.. (year/ milage condition etc)

get a trophy if u can afford one.. will keep there value well compared to others.

oh and thanks ;) Flame Red FTFW :D
both virtually identical cars no noticable power difference tbh and if you search around you will find a low mileage 172 just as easy as a low mileage 182 just like my 2002 ph2 172 with 1 owner and 40k on clock lol:D

Italian 3.2 V6
tbh only adv with the 182 is its newer, some better colours, twin zorst and diff alloys.. but comes at a higher price... ly is mint mind! but if i wer u id go for a mint monac or flame 172.. no difference performance wise in the real world..

TBH the 182 exhaust looks w**k, manifold is better but the rest sucks.

Having owned a 172 phase 2 and a 182 from new I'd say go for the 182 if you plan to leave it standard, if you're going to mod it try and find a tidy low mileage 172 and put the cash you've saved towards toys. There's a noticeable difference driving the two back to back. Granted the actual speed difference is undetectable and will be more a case of whether you've got a good or bad one. But the actual drive is superior IMO, Lee has had the same and a few others on here who've owned both felt the same too.

Yozz'd up 182
Dont really have a budget tbh, after my exams have finished and ive been on holiday im going to get a job, now i could keep working and save for the 182 but i think id like another flamer so probably go for a 172. id hope to sell my car circa 3k. after putting it back to standard and seling the sport bits seperatley.

It will most likely be on around 44k if that.

so with insurance being 1800 im guessing around fully comp id need about 2.2-2.6k im guessing and i could earn that is 6 months even if it means getting a night job somewhere.

As you can seei havnt planned everything yet but ive really got my sights set on this and so i wont give up.

tiTTy & SV650
My 182 was a better car than my 172, but my 182 was brand new when I bought it and my 172 is coming up for 7 years old.

Differences I notice, shorter 1st gear in 172, 172 fees a little less composed*. I love the 6 disc changer in the 172, don't miss cruise control from the 182.

*There are lots of little differences between 172's and 182's e.g. hubs, track, wheelbase etc and although the 172 is great the 182 is slightly better.

With my 172 being almost 7 I accept that it's in need of some TLC in the form of new bushes and shocks. Pace wise you can't tell the difference really unless the engines tight from a lame running in period.

I intend to add some Koni shocks and Eibach Sportlines and check antiroll bar bushes and the rack etc to get it driving like new again.

In a years time 182's will be very cheap so I'd prob go for the 182