ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 or 172cup

Gaz85

ClioSport Club Member
  330e, golf r, EP3 s4
cup all the way

5568973986_2130752db7_o.jpg

172Cup
cheers lads... mind made up now.
next question is does anyone know of any for sale in my price range? must be in good condition. belts done... mot'd etc....

Seat Ibiza
I thought you could only get a 182 FF and that was with both cup packs. Can you get the 'packs' on a 172?

172 ph2
Clue might be in why Renault felt the need to offer the cup packs on standard 172's... the standard suspension was too soft (again, imo) for a hot hatch. Don't recall any other hot hatches having uprated suspension as an option 10 years ago?? To be fair, I thought the same of the 306 when I first got it and chucked in tighter springs there too (and my FTO prior to that) so I guess it's more my personal taste - fact remains, handling is well improved with tighter springs.

260% JCW
Clue might be in why Renault felt the need to offer the cup packs on standard 172's... the standard suspension was too soft (again, imo) for a hot hatch. Don't recall any other hot hatches having uprated suspension as an option 10 years ago?? To be fair, I thought the same of the 306 when I first got it and chucked in tighter springs there too (and my FTO prior to that) so I guess it's more my personal taste - fact remains, handling is well improved with tighter springs.

The original 172? The cup packs were not an option on the 172.......

172 ph2
OK, whatever, moral of the story is a standard ph2 mk2 172 handles like a blimp where the steering wheel is connected to the wheels by some kind of spongy phlegm-like substance until you change the springs and it becomes ace... at least in my experience anyway. Loving my clio now - didn't before.

Listerine & Poledo
That may be your story, but it's distinctly possible that you are a true driving god.

A 172, as Renault intended, is fine for 95% of all drivers. Naturally, there are plenty of part-time chassis engineers out there who know far better.

It's worth considering that the more bump-n-whack a Clio gets, the more rattles you end up with.

Moral of thre story - If you want to be deafened by ratling trim, slam a 172 cup over coilovers

260% JCW
OK, whatever, moral of the story is a standard ph2 mk2 172 handles like a blimp where the steering wheel is connected to the wheels by some kind of spongy phlegm-like substance until you change the springs and it becomes ace... at least in my experience anyway. Loving my clio now - didn't before.

Blimp, sponge.....So Renault spend £k's developing the car for some "part time chasis engineer" to purcahse a £160 set of springs finishing the job they couldn't.....

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evolongtermtests/19910/renault_sport_clio_172.html

Each to there own though, your's must have been a very tired example.

Seat Ibiza
Blimp, sponge.....So Renault spend £k's developing the car for some "part time chasis engineer" to purcahse a £160 set of springs finishing the job they couldn't.....

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evolongtermtests/19910/renault_sport_clio_172.html

Each to there own though, your's must have been a very tired example.

I am with ya there mate! I could understand the Sachs suspension on the Trophy making a difference!

But hey I love my little Clio, shes the best daily i've ever had!!

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

FPMSL.

My 172 handled brilliantly on the standard suspension set-up.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep

I'd never read such a load of b****cks....

But then I noticed you live in Scotland so it's probably the Buckfast talking!

Z4
Lol your making out like they are night and day apart. They're not though...

I'm not 'making out' anything, meerly pointing out the differences I found. Cup feels a little more direct, a little noisier, a little bit faster, a little bit more raw, all those little differences add up to make a significant difference. That was the whole idea of the thing!

No biast opinions either as I drive an M3 lol

Laguna sport tourer
I'm not 'making out' anything, meerly pointing out the differences I found. Cup feels a little more direct, a little noisier, a little bit faster, a little bit more raw, all those little differences add up to make a significant difference. That was the whole idea of the thing!

No biast opinions either as I drive an M3 lol
agree with this^

172 ph2
No, I'm not the Stig, not the current one anyway ;)

I know I'm onto a loosing battle on a clio forum saying the clio is anything other than perfect in all shapes and sizes, but sometimes you have to take the blinkers off people.

The OP is choosing between a cup or standard one... do you think he has a passion for lack of climate control or soft velvety alacantra seats? No, he wants the better set-up that the cup gives him, right?

And how many people on the forum have changed their standard set up for improved? There is even a thread on here about "what's the best mod you've done?" and it's full of "changed springs / coilies" etc.

Why do people do this and rave about it if it was like so totally awesome Dude to begin with?

Or maybe mines was the only poor handling clio ever... is pretty good now though.

So, in summary then, go for a standard, but change the springs - a good compromise between performance and creature comforts n'est pas? (as we say in Scotland, on the rare occasion we are lucid for long enough).

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

I know I'm onto a loosing battle on a clio forum saying the clio is anything other than perfect in all shapes and sizes, but sometimes you have to take the blinkers off people.

The OP is choosing between a cup or standard one... do you think he has a passion for lack of climate control or soft velvety alacantra seats? No, he wants the better set-up that the cup gives him, right?

And how many people on the forum have changed their standard set up for improved? There is even a thread on here about "what's the best mod you've done?" and it's full of "changed springs / coilies" etc.

Why do people do this and rave about it if it was like so totally awesome Dude to begin with?

Or maybe mines was the only poor handling clio ever... is pretty good now though.

So, in summary then, go for a standard, but change the springs - a good compromise between performance and creature comforts n'est pas? (as we say in Scotland, on the rare occasion we are lucid for long enough).

You're wrong on so many levels TBH.

Megane 225 F1
You can ALWAYS make something better even if it was amazing to start with.

Think of the perfect women. You look at her and think "what could I do to make her better?" Then it hits you..........Make her STFU. Perfection, made better.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

^^ True enough

Thank you for pointing that out... I like how you have been able to take my position and render it wasted with your insightful counter argument.

Ok then..

The Clio 172 is far from perfect! Poor seating position, seats, huge steering wheel, build quality etc.. But they do handle well out of the box.

I have changed the suspension on my 172 to H&R coilvers (set up properly) as it suits my driving better for fast road/track use, and IMO is a improvement on a already very good suspension set up.

I've driven a few 172/82's on springs and wasn't that impressed TBH.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Ok then..

The Clio 172 is far from perfect! Poor seating position, seats, huge steering wheel, build quality etc.. But they do handle well out of the box.

I have changed the suspension on my 172 to H&R coilvers (set up properly) as it suits my driving better for fast road/track use, and IMO is a improvement on a already very good suspension set up.

I've driven a few 172/82's on springs and wasn't that impressed TBH.

Hasn't seen much of that :rasp:

Anyway Chinabuckfasti the OP should get a Megane R26. A remap gives better gains than a 172 could dream of and it handles as well as a 172 on premium coilovers (doesn't it Fletch ;))