ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 or 172 cup?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Road noise is pretty harsh in the cup thinking about it. I am getting old though. My last car was a Merc though!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Do the people who can't live without the creature comforts actually use the air con? My car has it and it's been used about 4 times in two years

With the climate set to auto it comes on loads during summer as well as been good in winter for demisting.
The Cup might be better as a weekend toy but the normal 172 is the better daily and therefore the better all round car.

Disastra Coupe
Do the people who can't live without the creature comforts actually use the air con? My car has it and it's been used about 4 times in two years

Every day for the past few weeks. It's awesome for clearing the screen.

I made my choice anyway and i'm over the moon with it. Took it a quick drive tonight on the way back from gym and it reminded me why i bought it. Such a fun car whilst still being perfect for a daily hack.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
LOL at different seat covers making the exact same chair more comfortable.

It comes down really, to aircon.

If you want it/must absolutely OMG I love it have it, buy a 172, or a Cup with added climate.

If you can live without it (I did, 4 years of commuting 24k miles per annum, missed it maybe two days per annum), get the Cup.

Everything else is just b****cks really. Lights? Pah. Err...what else does a 172 have a Cup doesn't that would make a real difference?

The Cup (without aircon) WILL be more economical mpg wise too...no compressor drag on the engine, and it's a 14 stone fatty lighter too.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Every day for the past few weeks. It's awesome for clearing the screen.

I made my choice anyway and i'm over the moon with it. Took it a quick drive tonight on the way back from gym and it reminded me why i bought it. Such a fun car whilst still being perfect for a daily hack.

Hmm, I was under the impression that as long as the blowers are on full the windscreen would demist... May have to try the ac tomorrow.

If I was to buy an RS it'd be the ff with ac/climate... Just because. Still wouldn't use it lol

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Hmm, I was under the impression that as long as the blowers are on full the windscreen would demist... May have to try the ac tomorrow.

If I was to buy an RS it'd be the ff with ac/climate... Just because. Still wouldn't use it lol

Why not though?:S
If it's there you might as well. Using it also keeps it in good condition.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Unless you're looking for every last ounce of performance then I don't see why you would pick a 172 Cup over a 172.

The 172's leather seats, climate control, xenons, auto lights and auto wipers make it a much nicer place to be. Also you've got cruise control (on later models), 60:40 folding rear seats, a spare wheel, and abs which can all come in handy at times.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Why not though?:S
If it's there you might as well. Using it also keeps it in good condition.

I Dunno, I just never feel the need to press the button :/ I think I've used it to cool me down during the hot days last year and a couple of times to warm the car up on a night

On an unrelated note, how much does ac affect mpg in a petrol car? Are we talking 1-2mpg if that?

PB Clio 172
no such car ! You just get laughed at and I wasnt the only OP to point this out

this thread was asking for a 'FF 172' comment there is always one !

normal 172, 172, non cup ? loads of ways!

Listerine & Poledo
Ultimately, whatever they may say about extra y0! factor, the Cup was just a tight-wad way of getting into a fast Clio.. IMO.

PB Clio 172
I have just found out something that the 172 has over the 172 cup

wait for it ................... a louder horn ! :p

Listerine & Poledo
Obviously what every 19-yr old needs when they step out of thir Corchav 1.0 is a Clio Cup.

160ish brake
semi wipe-clean seats for all the finger bangzzzz
no TC
no ABS

And that's why they keep winding up roof-down in ditches, 400 yards from a drive-through car park.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Ultimately, whatever they may say about extra y0! factor, the Cup was just a tight-wad way of getting into a fast Clio.. IMO.

That's be a valid point if it weren't 89 kilos lighter, lacking ABS, and with a far more focussed suspension setup...all IMO.

I absolutely had the choice to go for a normal 172 when I bought my Cup, but I didn't, because of all of the above.

Since then the Cup ethos has become massively diluted which is a shame. I'd have gone Cup this time around but all it gives you is back breaking suspension which is pointless 99.9% of the time.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
1,110 kgs standard, Cup weighed in at 1,021 kgs.

I took another 117 out (and ruined it LOL).

It's the later 'Cups' that haven't lost much weight compared to the executive limo versions.

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
proper 172 FTW.

Chances of noticing the 0.1 to 60 or the 0.1 lateral G extra from a Cup as a daily? Minimal.

Chances of noticing cruise, climate, xenon, 1/2 leather and sound deadening, every day? Maximum

Good points. Well made

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Because you like detailing don't buy the cup. The colour I don't think is rewarding enough.

Stupid? Yup. Monaco Blue or a Flamer hun. Monaco pwns. 2118's, fog lights out, decent springs. Lrrrvely!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
WTF?!

Hard to capture by camera, but when detailed Mondial is AWESOME.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's okay I just thought it lacked some depth. Most Blues like that lack "depth" just my opinion.

+1 On Mondial Blue being an awesome colour! I can see what you mean about the depth though Gally, I just think it really pops out as a colour. As for the cruise control, on the congested motorways in the UK its not as useful as say cruising through France. Oh and Xenons, Half leather and Sound deadening.....doesn't really add anything to the car. Lights are lights, fabric is fabric and sound deadening.....its nice to hear the engine ;)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You only say that because you don't have them! ;) Ballin'.

Disastra Coupe
Cup owners are always going to back the Cup up. They made their choice and have to stick by it. That and i think some people think to themselves 'ive got to have a Cup cuz it's faster' when in reality they're driving to the shops and it makes naff all difference.

There's nothing wrong with going for a Cup if that's what you want, but i do think unless you're going to track it and want that extra bit of focus in the suspension etc then why not just have a few luxuries for your trip to see your Nan or whatever.

Gally, i have noticed a couple of detailed Mondial Cup's come out really well actually - but not many i'll admit. Don't know if it's just a case of using the right stuff.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Is there a huge difference between mondial blue and arctic blue? Anyone got any decent pictures of the two together?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Cup owners are always going to back the Cup up. They made their choice and have to stick by it. That and i think some people think to themselves 'ive got to have a Cup cuz it's faster' when in reality they're driving to the shops and it makes naff all difference.

There's nothing wrong with going for a Cup if that's what you want, but i do think unless you're going to track it and want that extra bit of focus in the suspension etc then why not just have a few luxuries for your trip to see your Nan or whatever.

Gally, i have noticed a couple of detailed Mondial Cup's come out really well actually - but not many i'll admit. Don't know if it's just a case of using the right stuff.

Sort of, I think it because in most detailed cup thread the car is parked and way overexposed in the sun, makes it look washed out imo. I looked at Gaz85's thread and you can see a bit more depth because it's more in the shade, sad state of affairs when you notice this but true. :eek:

My car is the same in some cases, looks much deeper out of the sun. Just my opinion. It's not like it's a crap colour but you can't say it's better than Monaco for detailing.

Is there a huge difference between mondial blue and arctic blue? Anyone got any decent pictures of the two together?

I think arctic is a deeper Blue. Juts in my eyes. Well it is deeper infact. Both nice colours but arctic is a little more rewarding.

Agree with you there Gally, seen other peoples Cups at meets when it's been dark but under car park lights and it looks like a totally different colour! Yeah I don't have all the mod cons but I have driven the mrs car to south of France and back which has all the above and the only thing I would miss is the cruise control and thats on an open motorway. Leather is freezing in the winter and hitter than the sun in winter!!

Agree with you there Gally, seen other peoples Cups at meets when it's been dark but under car park lights and it looks like a totally different colour! Yeah I don't have all the mod cons but I have driven the mrs car to south of France and back which has all the above and the only thing I would miss is the cruise control and thats on an open motorway. Leather is freezing in the winter and hitter than the sun in winter!!

This without a doubt

6843102637_31e2080234_b.jpg

Clio Cup by Emma_Williams, on Flickr

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like the "racing blue" in the recent press release advert from Renault. It's not that colour Renault!

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
That's be a valid point if it weren't 89 kilos lighter, lacking ABS, and with a far more focussed suspension setup...all IMO.

I absolutely had the choice to go for a normal 172 when I bought my Cup, but I didn't, because of all of the above.

Since then the Cup ethos has become massively diluted which is a shame. I'd have gone Cup this time around but all it gives you is back breaking suspension which is pointless 99.9% of the time.

I like how a focused suspension setup is a positive in a 172 but a negative in a 200....

99% of the time you won't notice the difference so better off getting the better spec'd 172.

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Thought about it. Theres a monaco 172 round the corner, its just not the cup though. I do prefere that shade of blue, which is strange as I always loved monaco's & flamers!

cheers for your help guys.