ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 on motorway to coventry racing a GTR

Nippy white cup
I love these little discussions lol. No one is even considering that a clio of any level is as good as a std GTR but as Chip said there is no reason why one might not be very close from x to y speeds. Obviously we are not talking about from a standing start (although someone has done an 11 second 1/4 mile which cant be far off a GTR book time) but in theory you could definitely give one a good run for its money once moving.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Or the GTR gave it a boot full on to the motorway followed by a Clio giving a boot full,
and for a couple of seconds they were evenly matched, doesn't mean a Clio is as fast as a GTR,
just means they gave it a boot full down a slip road on to the M6.

Full Fat 182
Youtube always brings up something. Here's some complete nomtys giving it some down a busy road. But I guess it proves that once moving the 172 (turbo) is keeping up.

Crash video pending...

Last edited by a moderator:
  Monaco - 172
There's a GTR owner near where I work, and I always enjoy winding him up. I accelerate a very tiny bit and he always takes it that i'm racing him so goes shooting off. Bless him, I just like laughing at him wasting petrol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I love these little discussions lol. No one is even considering that a clio of any level is as good as a std GTR but as Chip said there is no reason why one might not be very close from x to y speeds. Obviously we are not talking about from a standing start (although someone has done an 11 second 1/4 mile which cant be far off a GTR book time) but in theory you could definitely give one a good run for its money once moving.

Indeed, making a clio a better car, or beating the GTR's laptime round the ring would be a monumental task and no one is saying its been done as far as I can see, but making a clio as quick in a straight line as a GTR at the sort of speeds you accelerate to and from when joining the motorway and having a little blast afterwards is inherently possible. A 300bhp clio is approx the same power to weight ratio as a GTR for example, and those are very easy to build, even 400 wouldnt be particuarly difficult at which point I'd expect the Clio to be quicker from 50-150 for example.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Power to weight ratio doesn't necessarily mean you'd win though, the westie has the same bhp/tonne as a Veyron, but that doesn't mean it'll still be hanging off its arse past 200 ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Power to weight ratio doesn't necessarily mean you'd win though, the westie has the same bhp/tonne as a Veyron, but that doesn't mean it'll still be hanging off its arse past 200 ;)

You should probably learn to read mate :)

I said if you have a significantly better power to weight ratio, then from 50-150 you are likely to win, which given that both cars have similar aerodynamics, I am failing totally to find any similarity between that entirely correct statement and the nonsense you are spouting though? ;)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
You should probably learn to read mate :)

I said if you have a significantly better power to weight ratio, then from 50-150 you are likely to win, which given that both cars have similar aerodynamics, I am failing totally to find any similarity between that entirely correct statement and the nonsense you are spouting though? ;)

You know I'm not making a serious comparison. But tbh a clio is going to need a fair old whack of power to beat the GTR, and will probably have much more difficulty in putting that power down, or at least not without some serious rubber.

None of this is relevent to be honest, as there's no indication anywhere that this clio actually managed to keep up with a GTR. And this all comes down to the 'oh, my modified car can beat your standard car' stance. If the Skyline was modified too then there wouldn't be a clio on earth that could touch it.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You know I'm not making a serious comparison. But tbh a clio is going to need a fair old whack of power to beat the GTR, and will probably have much more difficulty in putting that power down, or at least not without some serious rubber.

I dont know why you think what happens in the first couple of gears is relevant, youve been in my clio turbo anyway (on only an old set of 60 quid a corner tyres) and seen that even in 2nd it just picks up and goes and doesnt struggle for traction much at all, let alone in 3rd.

NO ONE at any point in this thread has suggest a clio will match the GTR off the line, and unless its on big floppy drag slicks and a well prepared surface that will be the case no matter what power the clio has.

Likewise no one has said any turbo clio we are aware of will match the Vmax of the GTR of 190+

But pulling onto a slip round and going upto double the limit, there are plenty of clios that could give a standard GTR a sensible run for its money.

If the Skyline was modified too then there wouldn't be a clio on earth that could touch it.
Of course, and no one at any point in this thread has said they know of any clio that is a better all round car or a better basis to build a modified 200+mph supercar, but the reality still is that in certain tests a turbo clio will match a standard GTR, so it is NOT out of the question that they were racing and that the clio did keep up.
Its also not out of the question that the GTR just f**ked off and left the clio for dead or that only the clio was actually trying.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Easiest way would be to get someone with a turbo Clio to time 40-140 then compare ;)

RS2'd Cup Trackcar
Easiest way would be to get someone with a turbo Clio to time 40-140 then compare ;)

I think more realistically would be 30-130. Ive no idea what a Clio turbo would do it in but a stock R35 would be about 11-12 seconds....Although the SVM R35 does it in about 4.5 seconds... ;)

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Not all clio turbos are equal, 400bhp one though should be around 10 seconds.

I think 300-320 would be a fair representation of a turbo clio but I get what you mean.

Although tbf if you had the same budget as the cost of a gtr to build a turbo clio you would have one hell of a machine... Twin turbo v6 anyone :cool:

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think 300-320 would be a fair representation of a turbo clio but I get what you mean.

Although tbf if you had the same budget as the cost of a gtr to build a turbo clio you would have one hell of a machine... Twin turbo v6 anyone :cool:

I dont think the clio v6 is a good car to start with if trying to make a car fast TBH, its very heavy and there is nowhere near enough airflow to the engine for cooling turbos etc.

You would be better spending your money on turboing the clio 172 instead.

Or better still spending it on an evo or something for which parts are more readily available and is already 4wd etc.

RS2'd Cup Trackcar
Not all clio turbos are equal, 400bhp one though should be around 10 seconds.

I dont see that chip.....If you look at some of the 30-130 times from Marham over the last couple of years that's as quick as 600-700bhp R35's

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Yeah V6 would take a lot of improving, I suppose what I like about the idea of a fast clio is no one suspects it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I dont see that chip.....If you look at some of the 30-130 times from Marham over the last couple of years that's as quick as 600-700bhp R35's

My mates Saph cosworth wasnt a lot more power than that when he was doing 30-130 in 7 seconds flat.

Shows how much difference weight makes.

RS2'd Cup Trackcar
You said 700bhp not 400!

lol fair enough i thought you referring to 400bhp as in a Clio....Weight does play a big factor, if you look at what these R35's weigh in at, circa 1800kgs its bloody impressive they can get anywhere near the times they do in full road trim.

late 2003 172cup
I got a video I can't put up, 30-110 most of it in 3rd gear. Chip can you post it on your YouTube? Pm me your mobile. It's worth a look.