ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 not starting

Mk7 Golf R
Wonder if anyone can help.
After sitting for a couple of months on a battery conditioner, in my unit, I started up my son's 172 track car yesterday with a view to doing a bit of prep work in readiness for track days once he returns from Uni.

Car started fine then slowly died. Engine tries to crank, (battery starts to struggle after a couple of attempts) but doesn't catch.

A couple of things:

1. Red immobilizer light stays on, (not sure if this is normal) so I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it.

2. Where is the diagnostic port usually located? I did call the AA (couldn't help) and the tech thought the issue could be immobilizer-related and was looking to hook up his diagnostics kit to clear any faults but we couldn't find the port anywheer. (Possibly been relocated though)

3. Alternator gets hot upon cranking and smells of burning. Note that I tried ranking after disconnecting alternator but still no joy.

Any ideas what to look for or anyone in Southampton area knows about these things?

Have to admit I know nothing about Clios!

Cheers,

Steve

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Diagnostic port is underneath the ashtray infront of the gear stick mate.

Someone much more knowledgeable than myself will have to help you with the rest though lol. Good luck with it

172 Ph1
I've heard various things about not starting , could be one of many . Best thing is to get the Renault Clip diag tool on it after you've located the port .
Also check the relays out in the engine bay for corrosion and just being shitty contacts in general.
It could just be a coded key gone down and needs re-syncing , that'll need to be done with Clip diag tool. Also the transponder ring around the ignition barrel sometimes play up .
As I said it could be a number of things .
Hope this helps