ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 ...MPG Question

Right peeps ive just bought a 2004 172 off another member of the forum.

Question -> What sort sort of MPG is everyone getting around town? Coz by reading through other threads, would i be right in saying approx 35mpg?

The highest ive seen my counter in nearly 2 weeks is 25.2mpg :eek:

I am resetting the trip computer when i fill up and im not really going mad with my right foot imo! The zorst was blowing, but thats sorted now. No change in MPG. Car doesnt feel like its got anything wrong with it, i dont think.

Any ideas anyone?

[Edited by covkid on 22 September 2004 at 9:46am]

Im watching it constantly right now and on short blasts from home to work (5miles) it moves from 25.1 to 25.2 max :(

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

100miles in 3 days - 35.2mpg including the some D/C thrashing and country lane thrashing.

For best fuel economy try short shifting the gears - or staying at a constant speed in 5th.

Go to a nice long A-Road and get to 60mph in 5th and leave it there, dont start dropping gears and racing through bends if you want fuel consumption. Between 50-70mph in 3rd/4th is where is drinks petrol! Try shifting before 3.5-4k as well.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

I average 26 mpg driving to work and back but if I go on a longer journey its between 30 and 35 mpg, even at silly speeds.

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

i have just got 220 miles out of a full tank :eek: in my 172 cup.... I should think this is good beacuse of the way i was treating it during them miles :devilish: Works out to be about 23mpg????

thanks guys... i was starting to worry i had a problem. 288 miles out of my 1st tank ... all around town. So i suppose its about normal.

I take her onto the m-way later and beat her arse a bit harder. See what results i come up with ;)

Ziel Nurburgring

Mileage? As already said, you should see 30-38 raping it around town, and ive had upto 45mpg on a long journey.

If your driving miss daisy and still not seeing above 35mpg, maybe the trip comp is funked

Actually the bit about me not being heavy with the right foot is total crap really.

I only bought the car to batter it tbh. :D

Astra 1.9cdti XP

The MPG on the trip computer is not that accurate! Just worked mine out from my last tank...

Trip computer said I had 34.1 mpg
I worked it our at 31.3mpg

Gallons used is not that accurate so I suppose that is where some of the error can come from!

Full Fat 182 - Was..

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 22 September 2004

you can see over 50 mpg

average for pootling around is about 35-36 yeah motorwar cruising is 40 ish
your a lucky boy then arnt you, my 182 averages 32mpg and if im doing logdistance driving eg motorway at 80mph then i get 40 but other than that normal 182 driving gives me 29.8mpg

Mars Red Clio V6 255

i average 26 mpg in my 182, mostly city driving though, andd get around 250 miles to a tank.

My trip computer always under-calculates the amount of fuel Ive used. Last tankful was reportedly ~36mpg, but working it out myself I actually got ~33.5mpg - it always seems to read the mpg as ~2-3mpg better than it actually is. And thats including having a bit of fun, but town driving mostly. Have seen 46mpg average on a 80mph, 240miles mway cruise.

288 out a tank is OK - Ive always got over 300miles out a tank (once only just) but I can quite believe that nearer 200miles is possible if you cane the lil fecker.

CLIO

i do alot of motorway milage as i work in chester and i live in bolton and i average 40 ish on the motorway at 70,sometimes 46...thats doin 108 mile aday

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

Its all down to your driving style. They can be very efficient/economical if you want them to be. Even when I really thrash it Ive never seen below 20 mpg (except for the first few hundred miles).

My old xr2i which to be fair got thrashed all the time, used to return 18mpg on average and that was a 1.6.

[Edited by Chad on 22 September 2004 at 7:05pm]

Porsche Boxster

ive only been driving my 172 for about 2 weeks now........... indeed the trip computer does give a little bit more of an "optimistic" mpg reading. comp said i had averaged 42.mpg (mixture of town and m/way driving) but actually i had managed just under 39mpg. my 1st fill up i averaged 33mpg and that was giving it some stick whenever i had the chance! on a motorway run u should see over 400 miles easy!

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

Remember also, if youre using lower quality fuel (lower RON rating, etc.,) then the MPG will be lower.

TDI tyre shreader

I dont care what mine does, its a fast car, fast cars rnt that economical!! Although my 172 uses less petrol than my old 1.4 205 rallye.

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!

sorry for sounding stupid but how do you find out how many ure doing to the gallon?

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

I think most are quoting what it says on their trip computer. Press the end of your wiper stalk to scroll through.

[Edited by Chad on 24 September 2004 at 4:45pm]

Porsche Boxster

trip computer isnt all that accurate. if u want to work it out its fairly easy

next time fil ur car up full and reset ur trip counter. now next time u fill up, brim it again and note down how many litres of pertol u put in.

take the number of liters and divide it by 4.546

call this calculated value X

check on ur trip counter how far u have gone and divide this by X...... this is ur MPG!

i think there is a calculator on the web somewhere. u just stick in the no of litres and the no of miles and it works it out, but its hardly rocket science!

Mike