ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 mk2 PROBLEMS

build quality
leaking headlamp washer balls
reservoir cracking (cant remember which one)
engine knocking against subframe IIRC
4k rattle

im sure someone will point out the rest of the faults, ive never owned a 172, but there are the problems i remember reading about

Focus ST3 + proper Mini

mines a 03 plate (July)

So far:- Headlamp washer bottle cracked

Alarm sensor fault x2 (going in again Monday)

Headlamp washer balls poping off

couple of small rattles

(not a fault but make sure it comes with the boot net).

Ive a few so far on a july 03 172:

5 trips to renault for the faulty alarm that is hopefully fixed now

A slipping clutch that has been replaced

When they had replaced the clutch they said the car sounded noisey so have replaced an engine mounting

Hazard lights going on and off with a mind of their own whether the car is running or not!! (This was an add on fault cos of the faulty alarm)

Thats all the probs so far but have to say i still love the car, however if buying one make sure youve got a good warranty

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Ye I have had the headlight washer balls popping out too, its only 5 quid to replace them though.

Also had my aircon fixed under warranty.. needed 2 new pipes + re-gassed.

And I have the knocking noise under wheelspin, which to the best of my knowledge isnt curable (at least by renault muppets anyway)

VW Potato

I have a May 02 mk2 172. Faults:

1) the 4k rattle

2) headlampwasher balls awol

3) had rust on the tailgate (warranty job)

4) third brake warning light replaced (warranty job)

there may have been others but theyre too minor to worry about which is why i have forgotten them.

g

E90

Mine is March 03, and its done 50,000ks since then. Nothing major, no washer problems, I have the standard 172 Knocking and 2nd rate interior build, but apart from that its been tip top. Its had a hard life, most of those miles have been Autobahn 180kph+ speeds, and its never faultered.

I have a cracked Driving light, from motorway stones, and the last time it went for a service the nonce who did it, broke off the plastic things on the oil cap cover, so now its in the boot.

Im over the moon with it, pretty good MPG, even at warp speed. Buy one, you wont be dissapointed, to coin a phrase "it does everything it says on the tin" Except being a Clio its a plastic tin :)

R

rich[182]

Nov 03 "53" plate 2500 miles

1 - Front wipers blowing fuse - Was a loose wire to wiper motor

2 - Alarm kept going off - Not happened since above wire sorted !

3 - Very small rattles arround glovebox & facia in front of steering column

4 - Knocked once when wheelspinning

5 - Just encountered a rough noise from front of car, very noticeable when pulling up to a stop - off to dealer to check, possibly wheel bearing, driveshaft, gearbox or cv joint

6 - Brakes lock when handbrake left on overnight - 1st thing on a morning go with a right bang when reversing

Apart from point no 5 which im gonna get seen to Im happy, bit more body roll than id expected but a 35mm drop will sort that out

love the car................................

Quote: Originally posted by rich172 on 04 February 2004

Nov 03 "53" plate 2500 miles

1 - Front wipers blowing fuse - Was a loose wire to wiper motor

2 - Alarm kept going off - Not happened since above wire sorted !

3 - Very small rattles arround glovebox & facia in front of steering column

4 - Knocked once when wheelspinning

5 - Just encountered a rough noise from front of car, very noticeable when pulling up to a stop - off to dealer to check, possibly wheel bearing, driveshaft, gearbox or cv joint

6 - Brakes lock when handbrake left on overnight - 1st thing on a morning go with a right bang when reversing

Apart from point no 5 which im gonna get seen to Im happy, bit more body roll than id expected but a 35mm drop will sort that out

love the car................................
Yep i know that one! :cry:

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

mine is a Nov 2002, problems so far :

Headlight washer balls falling out (three times so far)

4K Rattle

Suspension Knocking And Grinding Noises

General Rattles

Poorly fitted front Windows which squeek when going up or down

Poorly fitted glovebox lid

Air Con drainage not fitted so it pumped the condensation into the car

4K Rattle

Engine Mounts making knocking sound on low speed turns (warranty)

Washer Ball popped out

4 Crashes (2 my fault, & 2 people have done the damage whilst the cars been parked), only one of the crashes has been sorted.

Drivers seat squeaks

CD header unit doesnt work properly.

only problems ive had in 18,000 miles are the 4k rattle and airbag light on. both were sorted withing three days on the 1st visit. that was within the 1st two months of owning the car and had no problems since

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Gaz2130 on 05 February 2004

mine is a Nov 2002, problems so far :

Headlight washer balls falling out (three times so far)

4K Rattle

Suspension Knocking And Grinding Noises

General Rattles

Poorly fitted front Windows which squeek when going up or down

Poorly fitted glovebox lid
Only noticed these two so far. The glovebox thing is a design/component fault - my missus 03 dynamique is exactly the same, as is her friends Dci.... So thats known as a feature!!!

Silver Fabia vRS

Mine was a Nov 2001 before I sold it. Problems were:

Air Conditioning failure

4k rattle

Missing rear brake pad

Brake lights not coming on

Headlamp washers missing

Steering wheel not straight

General rattles

My Mk1 has been a hoot but not without its fair share of problems. All fixed under warranty apart from the knocking which I guess is a fundamental design fault which is too expensive to remedy especially when were 12 months away from a completely new model.

Crankshaft oil leak

Interior light fitting failure,

Seal on front spot failed (steamed up)

The obligatory knocking from the suspension and engine mounts

The Renault dealer kerbed an alloy but I only spotted it a few days later so I had no comeback realistically.

various rattles (just learnt to whack the stereo up to compensate!)

Thats about it really... irritating but live with it cos the cars a brilliant drive.

Mines July 03 now @ 4.5k miles:

General annoying dash rattles

Paint issues

Steering problems

Passenger seat runner rattle

Headlamp washer balls popping out!

suspension knocking

Blown fuses for radio/display clock

Suprusingly, no 4k rattle.....yet :eek:

Air con works sometimes...very weak...other times it says sod ya and steams the car up anyway.

Some warning lights come on then go off.

Interior alarm was going off at intervals...so disabled it...apart from that car runs fine!

Still wish I had bought a Cup!

I might seem thick here but how do you know when the headlamp balls come out? can you only check by looking ?? Its just ive never even checked mine! do they just come pinging out when your driving and nearly put your windscreen through?!!!!!!

If you can tell if theyve gone by looking then i will check mine after work tonight! is there anything you can do to stop them from coming out? what are the implications of them coming out? does it just mean the washers dont work???

Abarth 595 Trufeo

The poor guy will probably not buy a 172 now - hell think their sh1te.

jamesww - all I will say is that we are about to pick up our 3rd 172 so they cant be that bad.

We got a mk1 172 in Odyssey Blue which is getting part exd for a 172 cup this week and Ive got a Oct 2003 MK2 Flame red 172.

Yes unfortunately some do have problems every now & then but thats what the warranty is for.

Have you driven one yet???

H

2012 WRX Waggon

1) airbag warning light.

2) clutch not disengaging after hard acceleration

3) passenger side C/L not working and blowing fuse.

4) banging on acceleration.

5) oil leak from oil filter.

but overall they pale into insignificance on a twisty lane in the sun :D

no i havent driven one yet i dont think ill bother they seen to fall apart when you do, i think ill look into getting a mk4 golf.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Depends on how you phrase your question mate - try starting a thread called "How much do you enjoy driving your 172 Mk2" and youll get a different slant on the ownership experience. Everyone likes a good moan, and most of the problems listed above are trivial and easily sorted out by dealers.

Ask any Golf owners and they too would have their fair share of nags... I used to drive a Golf Mk 3 and I have boiled as well in terms of quality built. In fact, all cars have their idiosyncrasies dun they?

Have a go in the Clio 172 yourself and chances are you would be reaching out for your checkbook at the end of the test drive. ;)

I am enjoying every minute of the ride in my 172. Btw, she is yearning for me to abuse her which I have not done so as yet! Patience baby patience....

true i should drive one before i make my a decision but your waranty is not going to last forever. engine mounts, air con, suspention knocking, these are not problems you expect from a car thats 2 years old......

I have mates with FRS that have paid 20 k have problems from a new car so these arent that bad...

I love my little 172, only 300 miles on it and still waiting for the squeeks.

Quote: Originally posted by SOOTY on 10 February 2004

I might seem thick here but how do you know when the headlamp balls come out? can you only check by looking ?? Its just ive never even checked mine! do they just come pinging out when your driving and nearly put your windscreen through?!!!!!!

If you can tell if theyve gone by looking then i will check mine after work tonight! is there anything you can do to stop them from coming out? what are the implications of them coming out? does it just mean the washers dont work???
lol!!! Calm down, Calm down!! ;)

They are just below the headlights on the bumper, (well away from the windscreen) youll see a stalk with (hopefully) a small plastic ball in the end. If it comes out the worst that will happen is people on the pavement get a soaking....lots of fun!!!

It takes a dealer about 40mins to replace, they have to take off the bumper so beware if the warranty has run out coz theyll charge you, the new washerball will then have a brand new one year warranty....and yes you can glue them in place!

Quote: Originally posted by jamesww on 13 February 2004

no i havent driven one yet i dont think ill bother they seen to fall apart when you do, i think ill look into getting a mk4 golf.
Mines fantastic!!!! dont let them put you off, they are only small niggles, and once driven, forever -------> :D

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Viv172 on 13 February 2004
Quote: Originally posted by SOOTY on 10 February 2004I might seem thick here but how do you know when the headlamp balls come out? can you only check by looking ?? Its just ive never even checked mine! do they just come pinging out when your driving and nearly put your windscreen through?!!!!!!If you can tell if theyve gone by looking then i will check mine after work tonight! is there anything you can do to stop them from coming out? what are the implications of them coming out? does it just mean the washers dont work???   [/QUOTE]lol!!! Calm down, Calm down!! ;)They are just below the headlights on the bumper, (well away from the windscreen) youll see a stalk with (hopefully) a small plastic ball in the end. If it comes out the worst that will happen is people on the pavement get a soaking....lots of fun!!!It takes a dealer about 40mins to replace, they have to take off the bumper so beware if the warranty has run out coz theyll charge you, the new washerball will then have a brand new one year warranty....and yes you can glue them in place!

Dont even bother with that, just buy the replacement part, pop the ball out the new one and into the old one, this is what I didn and the ball is still in place nearly a year later, didnt have to remove the bumper or anything and the part was only £5

Renault Laguna Coupe

true i should drive one before i make my a decision but your waranty is not going to last forever. engine mounts, air con, suspention knocking, these are not problems you expect from a car thats 2 years old......
true, and the great majority of owners dont get these problems at all. My car is faultless, despite a lifetime of abuse on tracks and quarter-mile strips.

Mk2 172

Jamesww, unless you are going to get a golf r32 or vr6, then you will be dissappointed.

Had mine 2 years. Only problems been the drivers airbag warning light (after an emergency stop) and the brake warning light when I get up to 130.

I get in the car and I smile and giggle, all the way to work, then the same on the way home.

:=:cool:

Quote: Originally posted by Viv172 on 13 February 2004

Mines fantastic!!!! dont let them put you off, they are only small niggles, and once driven, forever -------> :D

Gotta second you here! Mine has been really good and itll be its first birthday in a few months, WOW WEE FEW WEEKS!! God thats been a fun fast year!!