ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Mk2 DECAT PROBLEMS!

Got my janspeed decat fitted at local exhaust place, what an affort we had to fit it but its on now. It has made the car slightly quicker at high revs so im happy with it that way. The problem is that when accelerating hard in first and second the engine is moving so much on its mounts that the flange where the decat connects to the manifold is tapping on a crossmember or sub frame and causing a quite annoying knocking. I took it back in to tell them and we messed about a bit tryin to sort it but to be honest there is know way of getting anymore clearance so im a bit stuck with it. Has anyone come across this or any ideas on things i could try at the moment im living with it but only just. cheers

engine movement shouldnt really be affected by the de-cat i would have thought its more likely that its been incorrectly fitted somehow and there is less clearence hence the knocking that you didnt previously experience. my de-cat hasnt suffered these problems so can only guess its either the fit of the pipe itself being poor or the place that fitted it have done a poor job of lining it up

There isnt really anyway they can fit it wrongly there is no adjustment on where the bolt holes are on the manifold or decat.. If knowbody else has had this problem it must be the way that it is fitted but cant see how. All help is appreciated.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Tbh, it sounds like the "normal" 172 engine/subframe knocking.

If youve not had it before, youre lucky.

I think most people on here have seen it / experienced it at some point.

^^^ yup can only assume that you are experiencing axle tramp for the 1st time. most of us have heard it at some point or another when hammering the car from a standstill

Yer i have heard the engine subframe noise before, thats is a louder noise than the one i am hearing at the moment this is more of a deep vibration than a bang. Im starting to get used to it now but its still there.

Joe how long did it take them to fit? Did they plug both of the labda sensors in? Did the engine managment light come on?

What other mods do have on your 172?

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 16 March 2004

Joe how long did it take them to fit? Did they plug both of the labda sensors in? Did the engine managment light come on?

on my decat disconnected the 2nd lambda doesnt bring up ecu lights

172 Cup, MK1 172

Had this problem on my Cup, check O/S/F engine mount (rubber inner part) is aligned. Changed the engine mount on mine to cure it. Have raised mount using washers under bolts on a higher mileage car to cure noise. Hope this helps

It took about an hour to fit id say but that was at an exhaust place with me helping. Thats the only mod at the moment and i can genuinely say it has made it slightly faster especially from above 100 just seems to rev that bit better top end. Yer both sensors are pluged in and no lights yet. Ive done about 300 miles this last week and the vibration seems to be going away. Not sure if thats a good or bad thing!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Joethrelk on 19 March 2004

It took about an hour to fit id say but that was at an exhaust place with me helping. Thats the only mod at the moment and i can genuinely say it has made it slightly faster especially from above 100 just seems to rev that bit better top end. Yer both sensors are pluged in and no lights yet. Ive done about 300 miles this last week and the vibration seems to be going away. Not sure if thats a good or bad thing!
does it make the vibration in all gears?

It was making a vibration when the engine was moving on its mounts the decat flange where it connects to manifold was touching subframe, when accelerating hard in first second. It has stopped now but from nothing i have done maybe badly fitted or what eva was vibrating has dropped off but its not doing it anymore.. And yes i still have standard system..