ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 key fobs and immobilizer

Hi I just got my 172 last week and i got two keys with it, one of the keys didnt work when i got it told it had a dead battery. turns out when opening it un just the little button on the bored has broke off , if held in place and pressed the little red light works and opens the car.

But my major problem is the other key also opens the car , but only the broken key can start the car , when i put in the fully functional key in the ignition the red light in the dash keeps flashing , and i have to use the broken key to start it.

I am assuming then that only one of my keys is coded to my car ignition! From factory did the cars come with a key that was not coded , can they loose there coding and can they be re-coded? and also can the code be read from the key fob at all ? so I if i do get a new one i can make sure its coded to the same code as the key that starts my car?

mate, i had the same thing but the button can be solderedback on. Did it on my 172 fob and its been fine since!

Chris

Megane dci 130
Solder the little button back on on the broken one and the other one either needs re codeing or a new key.

Skoda Fabia vRS
id buy a new one mate and get that coded, chances are it wont code in and you will end up paying twice for coding when you buy a new one anyway

if your in honiton that is a fair treck but thanks for the offer though :) im going get my self down to a renault dealership once my pay cheque comes in . but will keep it in mind what you have said new key could well be the way forwards !

172 Race Car
Take the working one into a key cutting place, they should be able to 'clone' it so you will have a spare. It wont have the button for central locking but will start the car.

Should cost 25-30 quid

ahh ill give it ago there are two key cutting places in town, looks like they mostly do door keys but its worth a shot if it saves me bit of money, im only really intrested in having a spair key i can use to open the car and start the engine , not fussed if its got blip button or not.