ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 headlight washers

hi i have searched this forum for information on the head light washers , and it seems this is a common area for faults, most of the time it seems that they end up leaking . mine on the other hand seem to not leak or spray water.

When i have my head lights on and i wash my windows just after the windows are squirted i think i hear a second motor activate , im thinking this could be the one for the headlight washers but nothing not even a trickle comes out of them, any ideas whats going on? is it the washers or do you think it could be a problem with the pipe work ? i dont have any leaks or not that i can tell anyhow. ?

nah neither of them do anything , not even a dribble. have a feeling going to have to strip the wheel arch out track the pipe along disconnecting it at the pump and where ever else it connects or disconnects then try sqwerting it see if the pump works , then the lines then finaly if they both do it will have to be the washers . just have a feeling going to have to wait for a nice weekend . Anyone else had this problem , of complete non working light washers ? and know its more likely pipes or need of new washer jets?

clio 172 (Phase 2)
Yea i've got this problem, not even noticed a second motor though. Any conclusion would be worth a shot :)

you have to stick your head out the window and listen out for it , happens just after the window wash pump noise , though this may for all i know be completely unrelated noise.

"Navy" N17 TWO
you have to stick your head out the window and listen out for it , happens just after the window wash pump noise , though this may for all i know be completely unrelated noise.

I hear that noise too, and my drivers side Xenon washer isn't spraying, or leaking that I can see :S

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
Somehow the screenwash works it's way back up the pipes, so the screenwash isn't there immediately to spray out. If you hold stalk to you to spray the water on the windscreen for a few seconds whilst standing leaning in the car and check the jets at the headlights, the water should work it's way through and spray.

Some people have got around this by putting little one way valves in the pipework. I think you can get them from pet shops as they are used in water pumps for fish tanks.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I already tried holding the spray for about 30secs (a few times) no joy :(
Passenger side and bonnet jets are fine

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
Tried using a needle or cocktail stick to see if the nozzles are jammed?

Either that or a blockage? I'm not sure how easy it is to follow the lines from the screenwash bottle to the front, any ideas?

Im pretty sure its a case of getting the near side wheel off and the plastics out of the arch then i think they are tracked around there to the front bumper, but not 100% on that but i think will be where i start if the needle trick dont work . prob is when looking at them washer jets there dont seem to be a jet as such like the ones on the bonnet but more like a long thin hole but spose a wiggle about with a needle may free something up in there ill give it ago.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Have you taken the ball out of the washer to have a look? I wish mine didnt work, would stop one leaking all over my bumper :(

this may seem like a stupid question but how do you take the ball out ? i don't want to risk braking them or making them leak that would be going bad to worse!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I took mine out with a small flat headed screwdriver by pushing it into the end, however it was already screwed so didnt risk breaking it any further, it still works now apart from it leaks :(