ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 headgasket DIY

S3, HD Nightster
Unfortunately, last week I noticed I was losing water... I'm losing about 800ml of water a day now and decided it's time to stop driving it. There isn't any mayo in the oil but I am getting pressure in the water system. (cap has popped off the header tank) Could this be a head gasket failure where the water is going down the exhaust instead of into the oil?

I'm not too bad with spanners so I think I'll have a go at doing it myself but does anyone know of any tutorials, guides or advice for doing a head gasket? (Tried a search)

I know I'll need a specific tool to re-time it, are there any other tools I'll need? thanks in advance !

Lionel Richie
special tools needed for the cambelt, new cambelt kit, you "should" replace the headbolts and all the seals, BIG job

S3, HD Nightster
was hoping for a reply from you fred! Where could I get my hands on the special tools? Yeh I will be doing head bolts, all the seals and a cambelt kit but I've done the aux belt in the last year, reckon I could get away without doing that one?

ValverInBits
it's just the cambelt that's going to be a bee-hatch.

shame, this job is so easy on lil old 8v engines. Tools are in the region of 2 or £300 iirc? best to borrow or buy second hand if possible.

If you time it up wrong, it'll make piss poor power.

Lionel Richie
i've got the tools available for hire

you need to remove the inlet and exhuast pullies to get the rocker cover off, plus the exhaust manifold etc etc, t**t of a job

S3, HD Nightster
i've got the tools available for hire

you need to remove the inlet and exhuast pullies to get the rocker cover off, plus the exhaust manifold etc etc, tw*t of a job

know of any guides for this? would it be self explanitory if I just had a go at it? how much is hire of the tools btw?

Lionel Richie
i hire mine out for £25 inc postage

erm i think i might have a renault guide "somewhere"

have you checked the water pump is ok?

LY 182
obviously not worked on anything that's ACTUALLY a tw*t of a job TBH. One of the easiest modern engines going. Ecotec vauxhall......now that's a tw*t. Hardest part is doing the cambelt
what one???

i got a 2.2 vectra head off at the moment and i'd rate that about half difficulty of doing a f4r/k4m/k4j etc etc

the timing procedure on the renault is pretty complex if you've not done it before..

are you talking about the ecotec they put in the tigra/corsa with the throttle body buryed completely inaccesable on top of the gearbox somewhere :mad:

Lionel Richie
obviously not worked on anything that's ACTUALLY a tw*t of a job TBH. One of the easiest modern engines going. Ecotec vauxhall......now that's a tw*t. Hardest part is doing the cambelt

V6's win for being a t**t, these aren't far behind though along with the fiats

i don't mind the vauxhalls but i can see your point, but i have small hands ;)