ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 - Headbolt Stripped

Dex90

ClioSport Club Member
  11Megne250/02Clio172
so I've been working on my little clio project having never worked on a car prior to this. bought with a snapped cambelt I thought I would take engine out and have a look at cylinders/pistons/valves to see if engine was salvageable with a head rebuild loosened headbolt 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,1 and as soon as i got to number 1 the head stripped on the bolt! nightmare....

IMG-20150523-WA0002.jpg

so i went out and bought grip bolt socket set from machine mart
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/5-piece-bolt-grip-set?da=1&TC=RV-040214678
and a stud extractor set (12pc) can't find link.

The grip nut just twisted and rounded off head even more, the bolts are torqued too much. and I got a stud extractor in and couldn't get the bolt to turn. I had already re-torqued all of the headbolts to relieve pressure of the bolt I was struggling with.

IMG-20150523-WA0004.jpg

so now I'm stuck . any ideas? i was going to look for a machine shop somewhere in south Manchester that will take the bolt out as I don't want to damage the head if it's salvageable. any recommendations and more possible ideas?

dan's cast offs.
the bolts aren't to tight you used a crappy socket or had it on an angle. put most of the bolts back in and then drill the head off that one and then take the rest of the bolts out. once the head is off the bolt will come out easily.

Dex90

ClioSport Club Member
  11Megne250/02Clio172
Weld a nut onto it and get an extension bar onto it for extra purchase?
unfortunately I don't own a welder

the bolts aren't to tight you used a crappy socket or had it on an angle. put most of the bolts back in and then drill the head off that one and then take the rest of the bolts out. once the head is off the bolt will come out easily.
I own the halfords advanced 200pc set so sockets are good. it may have been on at an angle but I'm not sure now, but i managed to get 9 of the bolts out.
I was thinking about drilling the head off but the bolt is threaded all the way up the bolt head so drilling off the head off won't help at all because bolt will still be stuck?

Grip Tite sockets Google them.
they look handy. I don't know if I would be able to use them though as I've drilled the center of the bolt head which will probably mean the head will buckle in under pressure. I'll buy some though and give it a go.
don't think there's enough left to grip on to?
probably not
These are what you want.

http://www.mpdirect.co.uk/p/6300/ir...xpansion-set?gclid=CLyWqP-J2cUCFc3JtAodSFkAkw

As you have done, tighten all the bolts around the rounded one, smash the bolt with a solid drift (ideally brass to transfer the shock from the hammer) on the bolt head loads of times to sock the threads and then hammer in one of those sockets and remove the bolt.

I've already bought them and tried it(https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/5-piece-bolt-grip-set?da=1&TC=RV-040214678). they basically rounded off the bolt head as the bolt is on too tight.

Cup In bits
Cut a bolt or something round to the same size as you have drilled the hole in the bolt. Hammer it in to give the bolt structure again and try what I told you. Guarantee I could have it out. The key is in shocking the threads prior to trying to undo it. You have probably tried to many things now though and just need to keep going up drill sizes until the head falls off.

dan's cast offs.
I was thinking about drilling the head off but the bolt is threaded all the way up the bolt head so drilling off the head off won't help at all because bolt will still be stuck?

the bolt isn't stuck at all, do it as i said and the bolt will come out easily.