ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 handling issues.

172, BMW 120 Msport.
Hi all

Got a question regarding a handling issue on the car, when turning left at a speed of say 30 and above, it feels as if the car is swaying at the rear, very similar to how a 106,/saxo would feel if the rear axle bushes had gone. It's just had new original springs and shocks fitted.

Any ideas? I guess it might be something simple and obvious but I don't wanna have a guess and be wrong

Cheers in advance.

2003 Clio 172
Could be a few things i guess......i wonder could rear bearings be a factor here.

There are big ass bushing in the rear arms too, might want to get those checked as well bud

J

172, BMW 120 Msport.
Had new rear discs with bearings a year ago, where do i look 4 these bushes mate? And how to check them? Had it jacked up today, everything feels solid

Cheers

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Quite possibly rear shocks, probably best to take it to Diamond Motors for a diagnosis.

2003 Clio 172
Quite possibly rear shocks, probably best to take it to Diamond Motors for a diagnosis.

Fella just said "It's just had new original springs and shocks fitted." bud.....

I guess if you are saying to check the fitment etc thats a fair point.

All genuine stuff bud?

J

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Fella just said "It's just had new original springs and shocks fitted." bud.....

I guess if you are saying to check the fitment etc thats a fair point.

All genuine stuff bud?

J

b****cks, didn't read that line. My bad.

172, BMW 120 Msport.
It's had new shocks from Wolverhampton Renault lad on here, all genuine

It's been great in the 6 years I have had it, was lowered 40mil for the past 5 years until a few months ago. I had the tracking done recently too, but now it seems to pull to the left quite easily, and when turning left it feels smooth, then like pulls quickly. As if the back end is sliding, it doesn't slide, that's just a description of how it feels.

Turning right feels tight and firm to the road though.

172, BMW 120 Msport.
Had vredestein sportraks through summer, just put yoko winter drives on

Was happening with vreds too though. Only noticed after tracking really, so took it back, re tracked it and same issue still. :-(

172, BMW 120 Msport.
This is after 1st tracking

IMG-20130802-WA0005.jpg

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I am not quite sure what scale the readings are in, but I think the numbers either side should be similar.

Did you not get a print out with final values on?

172, BMW 120 Msport.
No mate, was at formula one autocentre, didnt rate them. Might be worth getting it done elsewhere for sake of £30

Civic Type R FN2
This may be worth looking at, check your front suspension setup and make sure it's all good looking. Something wrong up the front will upset the back, surely? I'm no expert!

I was actually driving around with a broken front spring a little while ago, must have been broken when I had bought the car (didn't look it, I never took anything apart to check, my bad). I thought the back end was a bit eager. Never broke away but felt like it was going to, sounds a bit like what you're experiencing. Refreshed a few bits up front and it fixed it, now the back end only goes when you're asking for it...not threatening to go in a brisk sweeping corner..poor thumb grips..