ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Gearbox is rubbish

Turbos.
Picked up a 172 today, quick and fun to drive but the worst gearbox ever. Feels like i'm just stirring porridge with a wooden spoon :D

How much of a difference will a short shifter make?

Thanks.

Golf MK7,GSX-R600 L4
i agree that the gearbox is not the best! but it more than makes up for it in other departments!

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Agreed!!! you do get used to its sloppiness tho.

I've not tried a short shift but I think they dont do the gearbox much good.

My gear box seems quite tight but I think it is one of the worst parts of the car as it is hard to rev the car to 7000rpm+ and do a quick shift with out crunching the gears, also they seem very weak as I needed a new 1 at 28000ish :dead:

Any 1 know of any good replacement boxs that will fit straight on, preferably a 6 speed?

Turbos.
Yeah my clutch lacks in feel tool but i'm sure i'll get used to that at least. I was giving far too many revs in my first drives, but better than stalling!

Turbos.
Gaz Sport said:
My gear box seems quite tight but I think it is one of the worst parts of the car as it is hard to rev the car to 7000rpm+ and do a quick shift with out crunching the gears, also they seem very weak as I needed a new 1 at 28000ish :dead:

Any 1 know of any good replacement boxs that will fit straight on, preferably a 6 speed?

Sadev sequential? ;)

M3 & Clio Cup racer
Or Sadev H pattern dogbox - truly the business but difficult to live with on a daily basis. They whine like a banshee and crunch at low speeds but once on the go they are truly awesome and have a built in LSD.
And by a strange coincidence i have 2 for sale!

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
cliobuyer said:
Yeah my clutch lacks in feel tool but i'm sure i'll get used to that at least. I was giving far too many revs in my first drives, but better than stalling!
I stalled mine twice on test drive! LOl..still catches me out sometimes..then i cant drive tho

Short shifter speeds it up but the box is useless forget tying to rush it thorugh the gears it only kills the box quicker.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
try an uprated dog bone mount fro k-tec, mine feels alot better with this, gets rid of the movement, (especially in 5th)

TVO

S1 Elise (ex Cup owner)
gt_gaz said:
try an uprated dog bone mount fro k-tec, mine feels alot better with this, gets rid of the movement, (especially in 5th)

Is it easy to fit?

How much?

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
I wouldn't say its rubbish but its far from ideal. As stated above a quick throw shifter will reduce the amount of travel and hopefully improve things a little. I broke a dog-bone mount at the nurburgring in mine, it was like changing gear in mud coming home.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
TVO said:
Is it easy to fit?

How much?

£37 inc vat, they are replacement bushes, that are pressed into the existing aluminium bar,(they need pressing in by a garage-ten min job)

fitting is a piece of piss

it also (along with moving the driver side engine mount forward) cured all the banging i used to get in 1st and 2nd gear

result

TVO

S1 Elise (ex Cup owner)
gt_gaz said:
£37 inc vat, they are replacement bushes, that are pressed into the existing aluminium bar,(they need pressing in by a garage-ten min job)

fitting is a piece of piss

it also (along with moving the driver side engine mount forward) cured all the banging i used to get in 1st and 2nd gear

result

Cheers, going to look into this :)